Roundup disappointment

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Roundup disappointment  (Read 13983 times)

Offline Nomorexbs

• P Plates
Roundup disappointment
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:42:15 pm »
After an absence from the hobby and hoping to get some inspiration for my recent Mustang purchase I headed out to Dandenong today.Driving along Cheltenham Rd at Keysborough at about 12.15 all I saw was Mustangs heading away from Dandenong.Bennet Street was the same with nothing but Mustangs going the other way.I actually thought that the event was over,such was the large number of cars leaving the venue.I parked in the driveway of the Showgrounds and waited for about 5 minutes and all the while cars continued to leave in a steady stream.Not wanting to waste my time looking at trade stands,food vendors and empty asphalt I decided that it was not worth going in,so I turned around and went home.
When I got home I checked the advertising for the event and was surprised to see that it ran until 3pm.At the rate cars were leaving at 12.30 there would have been none left by 3.
I realise that people have things to do and that entrants can't be stopped from leaving but if you can't commit yourself to display your car for even half the duration of an event,why bother attending in the first place?Is there perhaps a trophy for Earliest Exit or Shortest Attendance?If not,maybe consider it for next year.
I have seen the same thing at the All Ford Day and Hanging Rock-everyone stays up late the night before cleaning and polishing,then gets up early,races to get there and then as soon as they get there all they want to do is leave.
To have that many entrants leave so early and to still be collecting admission is also pretty insulting to the paying public who are standing there handing over their money while a stream of cars drives out of the event right in front of them.That's a great look.
Obviously,for a lot of people,the event is too long at 5 hours and should be reduced to maybe 3 to avoid this sort of situation.

Offline Thirsty428

• Blue Printed
Re: Roundup disappointment
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 05:43:48 pm »
We drive our cars for ourselves.
We enjoy our cars for oursleves.
We also have to try and balance every day life duties with also driving and caring for our classics.
The round up might be a big one off event to you, but although its absolutely major on the car show side of things, being spring, there are shows on every weekend now.
If we stayed at shows all day every weekend, we could not maintain our cars or get anything done around the house.

If you turned around and went home, thats your loss.
500+ attend every year, there would of been plenty there still.

I will restate what I first said, they are our cars to show when we want, in the hours we choose in a show. We live by rules in our every day job.
I am ****ed if I am not going to have my own choices on weekends

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:47:52 pm by Thirsty390 »

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:47:49 pm »
Gotta agree with you Thirsty. Pretty hard call to suggest the Club change the hours to suit those who choose to rock up at midnight !!!!!!!!!!!
Already some pics up here. Might help with your frustration a bit Nomorexbs.
http://www.60samcc.com/Mustangs12/index.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:50:55 pm by IGALOP »
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline caretaker65

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:49:19 pm »
As I was there and can comment & I will.. Your saying 12.30 and cars were leaving steadily.. Interesting as it was about 12.30 when most of the Stangs were fired up..and the venue was full asual..asphalt and grassed area were full..
I was in at 9am.. # 152 enterant and as cars come from all over Vic & interstate then the owners can damn well leave when they want..!
So as you arrived a good 5hrs after most of the cars were there.. maybe stop and think about all the owners that were there at sparrow fart..

Well said Thirsty.. damn there's always one ..!

Offline caretaker65

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:51:18 pm »
Igalop.. not far for you to come today was it.. Gippsland is only 5 mins down the hwy..

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 05:53:34 pm »
Very good point Caretaker! At 12 and even 12-30, I would guarantee there was well over 400 Mustangs still inside!
And yeah, it was only a 3 hr trip for us each way!!!!!
Johnno;

Offline caretaker65

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 05:55:17 pm »
Maybe 400+ weren't enough for descent idea's.. :tissue:

Offline Thirsty428

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 05:55:24 pm »
I am not "angry" or fired up at Nomorexbs.
I dont thing he or she fully undertands if a car show starts at 9 am, we are getting there at 8ish, and waking up at at least 7/7.30 or before for some.
By 12.30, its already been a big day.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 05:56:45 pm »
I was up at 5 and left Sale at 6 am.
Johnno;

Offline caretaker65

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 05:57:23 pm »
Thirsty.. 6.30 for me..

Igalop I'm guessing closer to 5am..

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:03:15 pm »
Thanks for posting the pics igalop, some great cars there

Offline red066

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 06:04:14 pm »
 :agree:Why is it OK to show up late to a show to show your car but not OK to show up early   i can tell you now I'm not going to hang around all day because someone decided to sleep in  ? if you look at whats advertised it says 9 am for people with mustangs not 12.15 anyway i had a blast of a time and caught up with loads of good blokes  ( just my 2 cents)

Offline POPS 67

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 06:09:25 pm »
Hey Thirsty, did you get out of bed on the wrong side mate? Only kidding John. I was car number 160 and arrived around 9.00 am, I left before 12.00 as I had other things I had to do and see, sorry if I upset anyone, it was a great day though even though I left a bit early.
I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 06:13:29 pm »
I was up at 5 and left Sale at 6 am.

What a concidence.
I left Sale in 1980 and will never go back!
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline TimR67

• Worked
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 06:27:38 pm »
Yeah I was up at a sparrows fart, left at 6am with Igalop from Sale.  A few left early but it was a great day. 

Offline Fast69back

• Stallion
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 06:59:15 pm »
Hey Nomorexbs, Did you stop to think that all the cars you saw driving away from the show were not people showing their cars, but people just like you who had gone to look at all the cars on show. They could have arrived at 9.00 not 12.15 and by lunch time were ready to go home. Not all people who own Mustangs put them in shows but they often drive them to these events. Try turning up a bit earlier if possible next time and you might not be so dissappointed.
Vic.

Offline Nomorexbs

• P Plates
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 07:07:07 pm »
"I dont thing he or she fully undertands if a car show starts at 9 am, we are getting there at 8ish, and waking up at at least 7/7.30 or before for some."

Thirsty,I have been an entrant in many shows and do understand what you are talking about here.I also understand that people have other things to do,as I mentioned in my original post.
I don't quite understand Caretaker65's comment about "most" cars being there for 5 hours by 12.30.If the public can't see them until 10am,what difference does it make when they arrived?By my maths that makes 2 and a half hours of potential viewing time by 12.30,not 5 hours mate.All the advertising I saw for the show stated it opened at 10am,not 9am as some of you have stated.
All I am saying is that from a spectator's point of view,it was surprising and disappointing to see so many of the attractions leaving so early.If all you saw for 10-15 minutes on the way to the show was cars that had left or were leaving the venue,what would you think?How would you know how many cars were left inside to look at?
I don't have a problem with people leaving to do other things,I have a problem with a 5 hour car show that doesn't have cars for 5 hours.
If most entrants have no intention of staying until 3pm,why not shorten the event and wind it up by something like 1pm?

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 07:17:36 pm »
What a concidence.
I left Sale in 1980 and will never go back!
and whats wrong with Sale may I ask hmmm......
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline jimyd

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 07:41:45 pm »
Great avatar Pinto Pete! :drool:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:59:48 pm by jimyd »

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 07:58:57 pm »
Just saw the pics on another thread. Surely by 1230 there would have been plenty of cars still left going by the number of cars there. A huge turnout.

Offline Rapid428

• Worked
  • Off the road!
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 08:35:26 pm »
Gotta agree with you Thirsty. Pretty hard call to suggest the Club change the hours to suit those who choose to rock up at midnight !!!!!!!!!!!
Already some pics up here. Might help with your frustration a bit Nomorexbs.
http://www.60samcc.com/Mustangs12/index.html

IGALOP - Thanks for posting the link to the photos 

Offline Equip 2000

• Thoroughbred
  • MOCAVIC Member # 2389
  • Name: Lucky
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 08:36:59 pm »
I rocked up @ 8 am and stayed till the end.
I found it to be an absolutely awesome turnout.
As others have stated, we all have other things / commitments as well.
So to even make an appearance for 1 hour, is the individual owners choice.
That's what its all about.
" I had an awesome time " that's all that matters :-)

Nice to catch up will all the Guys & their Ponies.

Offline jbrucem1

• Worked
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 08:45:50 pm »
I arrived at 10 and left again before just before one.apologies to spectators who missed out on maybe 10% of the cars on display. honestly what a great showing of cars, would have been pushed to find a model/year/colour not represented 65-70 atleatst
I suppose from my point of view (and my passenger who wasnt a mustang nut) that a single marque event does get somewhat repetitive as there are lots of cars that are fairly similar (which isnt a problem at all for me).
XB's i honestly wouldnt have thought you or anyone arriving at that time would have missed anything by arriving at one - infact there was actually a couple of cars arriving as I was leaving!!
alls well that ends well

Offline MachAttack

• Worked
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 08:59:15 pm »
Well I left at 2 and there were still around 200 cars there at a guess. It was still a full house at 12 with around 500 cars turning up for the day. Pretty impressive turnout if you ask me.

Offline Chopper

• Thoroughbred
  • vic MOCA number 2177
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 09:11:37 pm »
I rocked up @ 8 am and stayed till the end.
I found it to be an absolutely awesome turnout.
As others have stated, we all have other things / commitments as well.
So to even make an appearance for 1 hour, is the individual owners choice.
That's what its all about.
" I had an awesome time " that's all that matters :-)

Nice to catch up will all the Guys & their Ponies.
Yep spot on equip 2000
And I finally found that centre console I was looking for, nomowrxbs maybe you would have found something you were looking for if you had bothered to come in
If life gives you lemons make lemonade