Rear seat belts

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Rear seat belts  (Read 11053 times)

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
Rear seat belts
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:57:49 am »
Hi Everyone, I am new to this site, I have recently bought myself a 65 gt coupe from the USA.
Very happy with it except there are no rear seat belts. I have to young kids I would love to take for a cruise.
Can anyone recommend what type of seat belts I should install, and who can do the job for me. The front ones are lap
belts, I might just keep them.
Thanks for your help
Mickey

Offline Ang1965

• Thoroughbred
Re: Rear seat belts
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:06:10 am »
Hi Mickey,

Firstly where are you located? its been discussed before and I'm sure someone on here will be able to point you in the right direction. I had lap belts fitted in the back seats of my 65 coupe. How old are the kids? you may also consider installing anchor points for child restraints.

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:38:46 pm »
Hi Ang 1965,
I live in the sutherland shire but I would travel if I had to. My kids are 4 and 7. You mentioned you had lap belts installed in your back seat! Are they safe, and easy to install?

Cheers
Mickey

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 02:44:02 pm »
Hi Ang 1965,
I live in the sutherland shire but I would travel if I had to. My kids are 4 and 7. You mentioned you had lap belts installed in your back seat! Are they safe, and easy to install?

Cheers
Mickey

Mickey,

Get on to Geoff from All Vehicle Restraints, he's in Illawong, a certified RTA installer of belts, child restraints and all around good guy.

Check out the work he did on my car - well worth it.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,18004.msg184071.html#msg184071

His number is: 0417 473 492

Tell him Steve sent ya.

s
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:48:26 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:58:04 pm »
Hi Steve, mate that is some work he has done. That must of cost a fair bit! Thanks for your help, I will ring Geoff and see
what he says.
Cheers
Mickey

Offline griff

• Worked
  • 65GT Slowback
  • Name: griff
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:01:17 pm »
another stang in the shire.....
welcome to the site mickey. u going to cops and rodders show this sunday at engadine?
when a 3 month engine rebuild turns into 3 year bare metal resto.
you get that .....

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 10:13:01 pm »
That must've cost a fair bit!

His labour rate isn't too bad and look at the result.

I will ring Geoff and see what he says.

Think about exactly what you want, do you want child restraints, lap belts or lap-sash belts in the rear.

I'll rarely have people in the back so went for lap belts.

You can either elect your car to be a 5 seater or a 4 seater.  Being a coupe (no hump in the middle) and since you have kids it'll probably be better to go 5 seater.

s
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:22:11 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:31:03 pm »
Hi Griff, yes mate, another stang in the shire!  Absolutely love it, only owned it for 5 months. It has been my dream for 25 years!! You know now that I own one, I see more stangs around, would like to stop and have a chat with the owners.  Is there anywhere around that guys met up?Do you have to take your mustang to the show, will there be any around? Is it just for fun, because mine is not a show car!

Nice to meet you
Mickey

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:35:09 pm »
only owned it for 5 months.

Any troubles with rego?

You know now that I own one, I see more stangs around

Yep that's usually the case when you buy a car but it's not only that, since the AUD started going strong against the USD they're coming in like flies.

s

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 10:38:43 pm »
Hi Steve, I think I might prefer lap sash in the rear, lap belts might not be safe enough, even though I take it easy. Will that be ok for the kids?

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:55 pm »
Steve, no trouble at all, I got my blue slip same day. All good!!

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:48:30 pm »
Griff, where do you live?? What do you drive??

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 10:49:36 pm »
Will that be ok for the kids?

If I had kids I'd want lap-sash, they're definitely a safer seat belt. Probably not much difference between static and retractable with regard to safety, best see what Geoff recommends.

Oh yeah, at car shows you don't have to have show quality cars to participate though they tend to be the majority. 

I took my Torana to Toranafest, it still has original paint and a few people were keen to chat to me about the colour alone and there's aspects of it that are unmolested, one guy was surprised to see the original emissions sticker still on bonnet underside, most have been painted many times over.

As long as you have a good day out with the kids it's all that matters.

s

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 11:09:01 pm »
Hey Steve, can you buy lap-sash belts from someone or somewhere or does geoff supply them?

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
  • Name: John
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 12:28:37 am »
another stang in the shire.....
welcome to the site mickey. u going to cops and rodders show this sunday at engadine?
Hey there Mickey,welcome.Don't forget griff,Hungry Jacks Sylvania is the place to be this sat night...Mickey your more than welcome to come on down,its a great place to meet up...

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 12:36:09 am »
Hey Steve,  can you buy lap-sash belts from someone or somewhere or does geoff supply them?

mickey just speak with geoff prior to buying any belts.I don't think he has any for the muzzy but he will know where to get some.ADR approved.

Offline birdman

• Blue Printed
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 12:38:38 am »
Hi Everyone, I am new to this site, I have recently bought myself a 65 gt coupe from the USA.
Very happy with it except there are no rear seat belts. I have to young kids I would love to take for a cruise.
Can anyone recommend what type of seat belts I should install, and who can do the job for me. The front ones are lap
belts, I might just keep them.
Thanks for your help
Mickey
Congrats on your new car.by the way what colour,coupe /fastback?

Offline Mrs BLKPNY

• Stallion
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 08:13:19 am »
Hi all, these are the belts that we have in stock!
If you need them ADR approved then they are a bit more of a wait ( usually just over a week)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270845792320&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#ht_5483wt_1159

If you have any Questions please feel free to give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400

These aftermarket Lap Seat Belts are sure to turn heads. Replace your old belts with these new ones that feature a pair of brilliantly painted Tri-bar Pony emblems. Available in all popular colours.

Sold Individually, order as many as you need. Most cars will run 4 or 5 (one for each occupant. Standard 60" length will fit Front or Rear of most Mustangs and similar cars. If you require extra room, or have a car with higher front seat bases, we have 75" belts (extra $5ea).

We also have these belts with Red or Black GT logo's (XR-XW and 67-68 Mustang shown, also XY-XB GT style)

and in other colours too

Cobra Logo's

Close up

We also have them with Shelby GT500 logo, and XR XT XW XY XA XB GT logo's

We can supply the 2 point belts without logo's for $40 per seat, in any colour.

We also have Retractable belts, Plain $130 per seat, or with Logo's for $155 per seat, in most colours. Please enquire

All these belts come from the US, and may not be legal in some states, please consult your registration authority or engineer before using them on the road. These are sold as offroad/show use only. All responsibility for fitment of purpose lies with the end user or certifying engineer.

If you require these to be ADR approved, we can get the 3 point retractable belts, with the plain chrome latch, for $250 per seat, and the 2 point lap belts are $180 per seat, or $295 with logo's for the 3 points, and $225 for the 2 points.

3 Point Belts are available in Black, White, Grey, Bright Red, Light Blue, Burgundy, Green, Turquoise (Aqua) & Tan.

2 Point Belts are available in Black, White, Grey, Bright Red, Light Blue, Burgundy, Green, Turquoise (Aqua), Tan, Dark Blue, Dark Green, Silver, Powder Blue, Dark Red, Ivory, Charcoal, Copper, Brown, Cobalt Blue, Orange, Yellow, Maroon & Medium Turquoise.

Mustang Trim Colours are: Black, Saddle, Parchment, Palomino, Light Green, Aqua, Maroon, Dark Red, Bright Red, Medium Blue, Dark Blue & Light Blue.

We can also supply premade mounting plates, if required $15ea, and basic hardware for the 2 point belts for $8 per set, or a bracket and bolt kit for most cars $45

Click Banner For Website

Email: CLICK HERE

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 08:24:34 am »
Hey Steve, can you buy lap-sash belts from someone or somewhere or does geoff supply them?

Geoff orders them, as you can see in my post he measured them up then I came back a couple of weeks later when the belts arrived for him to fit them.

I know he can get the Klippan ones and if you want coloured ones he gets them from Hemco.

There's nothing to stop you getting the belts from suppliers but if you get retractable belts you have to be sure to get the retractors with the right bias.  As you can see mine are at an angle and vertical ones (0 degrees bias) won’t work, the same goes with the ones that lay flat on the parcel shelf, they’re a different bias altogether.

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 08:31:40 am »
If you require these to be ADR approved, we can get the 3 point retractable belts, with the plain chrome latch, for $250 per seat

Are the chrome latches the lever type?

I don’t know how true this is but I read on another forum that the ADR's call for belts to be push button and the reasoning is if you’re upside down and hanging by the belt the paramedic just has to push the button rather than try to lever the belt buckle which could be pressed closed against your body or car.

s

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 09:55:41 am »
Hi there Birdman, thanks for the invite to hungry jacks, Im going out this sat night but would like to meet up with you guys. Do you go there every sat night?

The colour of my Stang is Tropical Turquoise and its a Coupe. I will try and get a photo of it on this site once I work it out!!

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 10:08:55 am »
The colour of my Stang is Tropical Turquoise

I'm sorry to hear that.  :lol:

Just kidding, the colour does look better on a coupe, mine was originally tropical turquoise and came out with the pony interior.  The belts I have are 'pastel blue' from Hemco, in case you have the same interior and like the belt colour, Hemco have other colours too.

s

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 10:17:20 am »
Yeah probably not the colour I would of picked, but its original colour is Ivy Green. Now I seem to like the turquoise !!
I have black pony interior so maybe black belts?? You think turquoise??

Offline mickey 65 GT

• Pony
  • love my stang
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 10:22:22 am »
Your stang looks good, and your seat belts suit the interior.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 10:24:32 am »
Yeah probably not the colour I would've picked, but its original colour is Ivy Green.

Green.....Green is nice.

Now I seem to like the turquoise !!

Yeah, colours tend to grow on you after you buy one.

I have black pony interior so maybe black belts??

It's up to you but my preference is to keep it original, if it came out with black belts stick with that.

Here's the Hemco site, they also have a harness type child restraint.

http://hemco.com.au/seatbelts.html

s
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:30:02 am by StephenSLR »