Hey, I bought a 68 Fastback!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Hey, I bought a 68 Fastback!  (Read 19153 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Re: Hey, I bought a 68 Fastback!
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 10:56:28 am »
My point, as you know, was that your suggestion that someone puts up photos of a car and other people "appraise" it is not a good idea

Nah, that wasn't my point, an appraisal can mean to give it a dollar value as they do in real estate but also the objective of the appraisal stage is for the decision maker to develop insight into the decision and determine a clear course of action.

That's the context I was referring, looks like a misunderstanding of terminology.

I agree with your other comments.

There are too many bad stories out there without promoting the whole "buy by photos" idea. If you did that with your car and it worked, that's great, you're lucky.

I had mine inspected, I wouldn't dream of going on photos alone but my comment was for him to provide us photos to even see if it's worth his while to travel interstate to inspect it.

All good.

s

Offline nicco

• Thoroughbred
    • http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Nicks67s/
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 11:12:45 am »
Hi Bird, here is a link to a vin decoder, you should be able to use it on your phone to see what it really is when you get there.

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

I think there are also some decoder apps available.

68 grille, 67 front fenders...

What is your Mustang reference library like? As a total newbie, I found the Mustang Restoration Handbook by Taylor and Wilson helpful when I bought my 67.

Offline Bird

• P Plates
  • How would I know?
    • the sled aint dead
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2012, 06:49:54 pm »
Well, got a reply. Two photos. One showing the door vin and one of a certificate of registration from some guy who owned it  in Florida. He said there is no number on the apron. Now, I read somewhere that if it was a San Jose car it might not be there, but according to the door vin, this is a New Jersey car. I am about ready to call it a day on this deal I have to say, guys...too many bloody ifs and buts. Am I being paranoid?

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2012, 06:56:29 pm »
Mate,

If you seriously want to persist with a project car, I think you would do better finding a complete running car that may need a resto, you will probably have more chance of a close to original car, and you may even be able to get Shermatt or Bosskraft to keep an eye out for a good original running project.

I think this would be a better option, especialliy if your new to restoring / restomod.

I would steer clear of the one your looking at, purely based on the experienced comments posted in your thread,

Good luck,

Offline Bird

• P Plates
  • How would I know?
    • the sled aint dead
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2012, 07:00:28 pm »
Guys, I have really appreciated everyone's comments on this. Every response has been first rate. I am indebted to you all.

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2012, 07:05:20 pm »
Bird,

Just food for thought, have a look at the attached link, yes its a coupe and not a fastback, I no nothing of the car, but at $15k and lets assume it has some issues, makes the fast back you were looking at, way over priced.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-1967-MUSTANG-C-CODE-XW-XY-GT-GTHO-GS-1965-1966-/110961648116?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item19d5d461f4

Seriously, you will do better sourcing a running more original project, the guys that have given you feedback in your thread really know there stuff.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2012, 07:42:57 pm »
Well, got a reply. Two photos. One showing the door vin and one of a certificate of registration from some guy who owned it in Florida. He said there is no number on the apron.

If the VIN on the cert. matches the door VIN all that proves is the door came from the car on the rego. papers.  It still doesn't prove that the car he is selling is the same car.  If he's serious about selling he should be doing more to convince you.

Is this just an opportunistic find or is a 68 fastback your dream Mustang model?

If you let us know your price range and the type of car you want, we could give you a few suggestions.  Are you keen to import?  It may take time to find and land here but who knows how long before you find one you want for sale in Aus.

s

Offline Ausjacko

• Worked
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2012, 07:54:58 pm »
Have just read through this post.  There is a clear theme running through the advice/comments/observations as I read them. 

I have a 68 fastback and the VIN is stamped in two places.  On the drivers side (if still LHD) guard but this is often not visible due to some missalignment- yes, even with the cut-out.  You need to unbolt the guard to get a good look at it.  The second place is on the opposite guard in a similar position.  As this guard has no cut-out you can't see it unless you unbolt the guard.   Unless the VIN matches the import papers-forget what is on the door tag as you can get these remade in any case- walk away.

Unless you are flush with cash, why expose yourself to dramas at the very outset.  The grey coupe project is evidence enough that dramas come your way in any event.

Whoops nearly forgot, in 68 ford started stamping the VIN on the motor and various other parts.  Dare I ask what is the engine number?  Should be the same as the last five (?) digits on the VIN.  My gearbox also has the VIN stamped on one shoulder.

Cheers
Jacko
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:57:35 pm by Ausjacko »
1968 Fastback GT J-code
1967 GTA S-code coupe - 'Pink Bits'

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2012, 08:02:57 pm »
in 68 ford started stamping the VIN on the motor and various other parts.  My gearbox also has the VIN stamped on one shoulder.

Even still, it's not enough to go on, it may very well be a 67 that was number jobbed with wrecked 68 parts.

s

Offline Bird

• P Plates
  • How would I know?
    • the sled aint dead
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2012, 08:08:25 pm »
Yes, that's a nice stang there on ebay, and a good price.
I like all the models, but the 67-68 fastback's do it for me.
I've asked this guy to pull the guards off and double check for me. Will wait and see. No vin number is worse than the wrong one. LOL!
Ta guys, too lazy to reply to you all, but don't think I haven't read your replies. Much appreciated.
Peter

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
I've asked this guy to pull the guards off and double check for me. Will wait and see.

Ask for a photo of the VIN as well as zoomed out photo of the VIN and section of car that you can match up to pics of the car.

s

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2012, 06:48:24 am »
I am about ready to call it a day on this deal I have to say, guys...too many bloody ifs and buts. Am I being paranoid?

Listen to the voices in your head.

Like my Grandma always said "A gold plated turd is still a turd".
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline MachAttack

• Worked
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2012, 11:23:36 am »
Heres one that might interest you.
a lot of car for the money
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/67-mustang-fastback-S-code-big-block-/251162610218?_trksid=p4340.m8&_trkparms=algo%3DMW%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D12%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2629578276580859848

Hey Bird, Scedd's link looks like a much better start than the one you're looking at. Contact the seller and see what he's actually after for it.
I know you're excited and really want to buy your dream car but patience will pay off. You don't have to buy the first car that tickles your fancy, it took me 8 months of serious hunting before I pulled the trigger. Best of luck whichever way you go.

Offline Cage

• Worked
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2012, 07:41:03 pm »

All the above is only relevant if the car suits your needs, if it is rusty the RUN LIKE HELL!!! Check out the albums linked in my signature. It will give you an idea of what can be involved fixing a Lemon.

Easy Steve

Hi Bird, just caught up on the thread. Take the advice above mate. Run like hell. Trust me. You will find a better car just around the corner. Don't rush into it as there is plenty around. If you seriously want a project you should talk to a few of the boys on this site that specialize in this type of stuff. Otherwise spend more money on the initial purchase and get one already done. You will save heaps of cash.

Offline nicco

• Thoroughbred
    • http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Nicks67s/
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »
Hey Bird, Just wondering if you still went and gave it a once over if only to check the vin and see what it really is?

Offline Bird

• P Plates
  • How would I know?
    • the sled aint dead
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2012, 04:10:44 pm »
To be brutally honest, I think the guy is a tosser. Asked him to check for vin on either pillar. He said he would, then said he too busy, said his friends reckon the vin on the door is enough to pass for rego. At this stage I asked for my holding deposit back. I've had enough of the bullshit. Two days, no reply. Not happy, Jan. But my own stupid fault. should have known better.
I'll keep you posted.
thanks guys
Peter

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2012, 04:49:54 pm »
He said he would, then said he too busy

Or just lazy.

said his friends reckon the vin on the door is enough to pass for rego.

If he's not throwing off hoping you're stupid then he's as stupid as his friends.

But my own stupid fault. should have known better.

Mate, as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained.  You're definitely not stupid for coming here and asking people in the know. You saved yourself so much trouble, time and money.  You also learned a few things and the smart people do that before making a big mistake.

It's basically how I am at work, I don't know anywhere near what the various engineers know but I get paid because I know what questions to ask and who to go see for the answers.

s
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:52:40 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline Bird

• P Plates
  • How would I know?
    • the sled aint dead
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2012, 11:11:58 am »
Gents. I owe all of you a beer at the very least. You've saved me from making a big mistake and to everyone on here, I thank you.
I never heard what became of the vin numbers. I can only assume they didn't match.
In this guy's defence, he refunded my deposit in full, so I cannot really bag him out for that.
I think it COULD have been a decent buy if the seller had the vin's there, and even if the body panels didn't match, at least say that in the ad. And if he's imported it with the wrong vin, get the actual vin off the car and re apply for import. Then, as you have all said, it should be fine. I guess, otherwise, this is just a parts car.
Cheers guys.
Thanks a million.
It has been...an experience :)
Peter
If you want to catch up with other shit I get messin' around with (plus, it might be good for a laugh to see how badly I fumble through these things) check my blogspot out sometime
http://pedrosbuick.blogspot.com.au/

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2012, 11:17:55 am »
Peter, don't give up on the Mustang idea, just keep saving & the right one will come along!
just remember.....RUST, RUST & RUST....thats what to look out for.
Driveline issues are easy fixes....rust and body work can get very expensive & many fella's who take on huge resto's unfortunatly never get to see the job finished......usually circumstances change, jobs, money, kids etc.....and the car has to go, money & dreams get lost...Moral of the story is to buy the best you can afford...Good Luck Buddy!
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2012, 11:45:57 am »
You've saved me from making a big mistake ...
If you want to catch up with other shit I get messin' around with

Good to hear you didn’t make that big mistake.

If you need any advice with the Buick check out the US Muscle forum (Aus. forum)

http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/index.php?

I’m sure others there can help you out.

s
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:47:44 am by StephenSLR »

Offline m67gl

• Stallion
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2012, 07:41:20 pm »
Hey Bird,  I'm going to sell my 67 fastback later this year.  Moving onto something new.  PM me if you want some details / pics.  I will get an add in the correct section in about 1 month.

Marc

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2012, 10:23:40 pm »
Sorry for the late comments... i understand you haven't proceeded, but a few tips for identifying 67 from 68 cars

i thought maybe the rear panels could have been replaced as they only repro 67 based rear 1/4's, however the front has the 67 fender too (no side marker blinker)

i couldn't quite see in these photos but the rear vision mirror on a 68 is stuck to the screen, a 67 is attached to the visor clips.

the grill is "bolt on" and is 68 style with the ornaments in circles rather than a horizontal bar either side of the centre 'coral' in the middle in the 67.

the chrome trim around the lights - 67 all crome, 68 black pinstripe on the surrounds.

68's had 2 torque boxes, 67 just one.

fuel line runs along the drivers side sill in all 68's, 67 had some on the sill some in the tunnel.

radio's looked similar, however 67 had chrome buttons, 68 had black.

67 have rectangluar blinker lights in the instument cluster, 68 had arrows on the sides to indicate the direction of the blinkers

67 steering wheels are originally 3 spoke, 68's 2 spoke (although not too many 68 wheels are original these days)

these are subtle styling changes you may or may not notice.

can i ask how much he accepted? or just if it was a big drop from advertised price?

long hours makes my head numb... i better leave work soon...