Air Con's

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Air Con's  (Read 3603 times)

Offline hudrock

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
Air Con's
« on: September 26, 2012, 08:18:23 am »
I am converting a 67 coupe to right hand drive and looking to install a in dash factory type of air con.
look's like I'm going to have to convert a kit from vintage air to install. Question; Is there a cheaper way of doing it, anyone know of someone who can assist in converting the air con or is there some where in which one can be bought.

thanks for any assistance offered.

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
Re: Air Con's
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:21:15 am »
Welcome to the Forum................ :cheers:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:51:33 am »
I've converted a factory one for my 67, but it depends on how your firewall was done. I think you can reverse the vintage air one but have to ask them not to glue the top on.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 09:53:11 am by shaunp »

Offline Tempest

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 03:00:23 pm »
Not sure if there is a cheaper way so can't help there, but if you go with vintage air its a good unit. I used a vintage air unit and reversed it in my 69, had to modify the brackets a little to mount the unit. As Shaun said it will depend on how your firewall was done, i needed to get the recess in the firewall enlarged as mine was only just large enough for the heater and the vintage air unit is longer, but the car was stripped and getting a lot of body work done so this wasn't much more at the time.

I didn't use any of the plumbing that came in the kit (used everything else though) and had it all custom plumbed. All four pipes come out of the unit then make a 90deg bend to go through the firewall, emerging under the guard. From there the heater lines again turn 90deg through the apron and enter the engine bay just under the LH bonnet hinge and my air con lines run all the way forward under the guard.

The vintage air unit works really well, even in a Darwin summer the car is nice and cool, but the plumbing wasn't cheap.

Good luck.