help required

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: help required  (Read 5332 times)

Offline whitewun

• Pony
  • I'm new here
help required
« on: September 17, 2012, 08:22:36 pm »
Hey guys and gals,

I have some questions for you and hopefully you can provide some answers.
This time next year I am heading for the States for an extended holiday.
Idea is to fly to New York then go down to Washington pick up a car and meander back to Los Angeles via route 66.
The trip should last about 10 weeks.

Now the questions start
I want to purchase a vehicle while I am there, get it registered and insured so that I can drive it.
I have been searching several web sites and come up with a car that really appeals to me.

it is the Fox bodied Saleen Mustang of the 1984 - 1993 era.
I have checked the SEV log and this car does not appear - Dotars tell me that I have to find a RAWS place to do the importing

The info that I do have is the customs stuff - over 30 years cost + 10% GST, less than 30 years = cost + 5% duty + 10% GST
Then Dotar stated that after 1 Jan 1989 the Australian ADR's came into effect and the car will need to be compliant.
Can anyone tell me what that would entail
also if I buy a 1988 model does that have different compliance requirements.

I have also contacted Shermatt about tracking a car down for me as I a no mechanic or panel beater, etc.

Any other advice would be very much appreciated

Regards

Dave

Offline blue67

• Stallion
Re: help required
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »
My understanding is that anything under 30 years old must be converted to right hand drive which would mean serious $$$ I would think.

I'm sure more knowledgable members will correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:29:13 pm »
Where do i start ,1st not the model to bring back ,2nd will have to convert in most states ,3rd will cost a arm and leg to do ,around 25,000 .4th can buy one here cheaper already done .5th buying any car from those areas be careful of rust. 6th buy a classic ,why, easy to work on and get parts and they go up in value not down .I have owned a lot of classic mustangs ,camaros ,etc,etc and never lost a cent .

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:06:52 pm »
When I bought my '68 last year in New Hampshire, I wanted to drive it across the US to LA to have it shipped. I contacted nearly 60 insurance companies, agents and brokers and got the same answer from everyone. Which was, to write me a policy I must have a US drivers licence and a permanent US address. They were all happy to insure my car for shipping but not for me to drive it, and seeing as how the Yanks love to sue people, there's no way I'd drive over there without insurance.
Even though my car had undergone a complete rotisserie restoration, given the problems I've had here, I would have been lucky to get out of sight before it broke down.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:26:21 pm »
Thats one of the problems also ,i have been to the usa about 10 times and i have tried to get insurance no luck everyone tells me you can but i dont know where .And i have tried everywhere ,brokers on the phone they all say yes but when it comes down to it its well NO . I have driven my cars and yes no insurance and yes it is against the law in most or all states .Rent a car to travel safer for a lot of reasons .

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:35 pm »
It's possible to get a temporary plate if you buy a car from a dealer, but buying privately it's no go as their registration stays with the seller and then they transfer it to their new car. You still need proof of insurance though.
I actually got a parking ticket in San Diego because someone stole the rego stamp off the rear plate of our hire car.
The ticket was for not displaying a current registration disc, but the hire company said they would take care of it. Hire cars are so cheap over there if you book ahead, so my advice is to get your car shipped and hire a nice SUV with all the bells and whistles and tour in comfort.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 08:50:54 pm »
Hire cars are cheap from 20 a day ,but full insurance gets you ,as does all the tax that goes on as well .For a mid range size car you will be looking at around 375 per week plus .Really thats not to bad because if you have any problems you just ring them up .

Offline whitewun

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:20:57 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys - probably not what I wanted to hear - but it is good to be told.

Glen 70 - can you give me a pm as you seem to be the font of knowledge on the classics.
I will be looking at the 65 - 73 era cars.

Being a stubborn old bugger I will chase the insurance just for the hell of it.
Also you may have missed it in the original post - I will be contacting Matt at Shermatt for the purchase

Whitwun

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »
Hey whitewun i sent you my E MAIL address .

Offline USAtoAUS

• Stallion
    • www.usatoaus.com
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »
Dave, if you are into Fox Body Stangs don't let anyone else poo-poo your desires. I have several and they are very affordable and fun cars to drive. My son has one as his first car and it gets lots of attention.

The rules are as follows:

- Not 30 years old - 5% Duty.

- In most states of Australia if it is not 30 years old you need to convert it to RHD.

- If it is made prior to 1/1/1989 and not 30 years old you can have anyone convert it and have it engineered. Personally I don't think the conversion is worth the investment and for a limited production car it could well harm the value of the car. However if you are buying the car for YOU and not as an investment or to sell then set it up the way you want it.

If you are going this time next year for 10 weeks and you buy an early Saleen it will almost be legal to register and drive LHD in Aus. In fact by the time it gets here it probably will avoid the 5% Duty.

Despite what people have stated these cars are easy to work on, they are appreciating not depreciating and they are different to the rest of the crowd!

Insurance is not difficult to get, we have several Fly-Drive clients that we have successfully located, inspected, purchased cars for. Then taken them for a complete service and check over. They then head off registered and insured for heir trip, bring the vehicle back to our US depot and we ship it to them in Aus. The most recent was a pair of new 2012 Harley Davidson that now have 14,000 miles on their clocks. The owners are now home and they bikes pack for Brisbane tomorrow.

I say go for it!

Shipping from the USAtoAUS (BRI - FRE - MEL - SYD)
www.USAtoAUS.com