VSCCS certificate for NSW rego.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: VSCCS certificate for NSW rego.  (Read 18222 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
VSCCS certificate for NSW rego.
« on: September 04, 2012, 05:28:27 pm »
Has anyone had experience with obtaining a VSCCS certificate?

I hear this is now a new requirement for NSW registration for all imported vehicles.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/authorisedinspectors/vsccs/index.html

s
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 06:00:32 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
Re: VSCCS certificate
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 05:40:10 pm »
Hi Stephen SLR,

I believe these are only required where an imported vehicle has been modified, is a one off like a kit car, or any other vehicle that is non standard. Its a scheme that replaces the old engineers certificate, in the under the previous system, you modified your car, say put a big block in a ford capri, you took it to any engineer, had it certified and then got it registered, the new system has approved engineers / certifiers that must tak ethe modified car to for assessment, much like the blue slip system, only certain places can approve them. They went this way, as they started cracking down on modified cars, they found engineers who had inspected cars, didnt exist.

For any mustang, as long as its original, you only need a blue slip, the mustangs can still retain the red indicators and lap seat belts, my 66 was imported and registered this year, and only required a weight bridge certificate and blue slip.

Have a look at this link which is for imported vehicle standards

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_04_registration_of_imported_vehicles_in_nsw_24_may_2011.pdf

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:42:05 pm »
I believe these are only required where an imported vehicle has been modified

I'd like to believe that but from the site:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/authorisedinspectors/vsccs/index.html

Non-standard vehicles include individually constructed and personally imported vehicles.

Edit: I assume that it means it is individually constructed and imported rather than individually constructed or imported?

s
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:44:02 pm by StephenSLR »

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59:42 pm »
Also on this page:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/getnewrego/importedvehicles.html

It states:

What you need to provide:

A certificate from an Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority)-approved Engineering Signatory, to confirm that the vehicle meets Australian standards.

s

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Re: VSCCS certificate for NSW rego.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:09:07 pm »
I thought it says in there somewhere that any personally imported vehicles built prior to Aug 1972 were exempt.

Obviously pre-August 1972 vehicles with mods, like yours Stephen, will need to meet engineering requirements.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline 66 Stang

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW Member
  • Name: Keith
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:18:21 pm »
Stephen SLR,

Yeah I raised that with the guys that did my blue slip, they said they could sign off on that via the blue slip process, and like I said, I didnt need anything else other than the weight cert and blue slip, this was in April this year.

Maybe wait and see what others have experienced when registering for the first time in NSW,

Offline Ash

• Supercharged

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:10:21 pm »
Yeah I raised that with the guys that did my blue slip, they said they could sign off on that via the blue slip process

I've read elsewhere that the certifiers aren't necessarily engineers and any qualified mechanic can become a certifier.

I recall the RTA did a shake up of the blue slip system late last year and some mechanics were stripped of the privilege.

There's a list of certifiers here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_bulletin_01.pdf

On the right hand side there's a column that reads 'Whole vehicles', there's the sub-category of Personally imported vehicle (IP)

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:17:32 pm »
So all imports that were manufactured after 1 Aug 1972 still require a VSCCS certificate?

Just trying to make sense of it all.

s

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 07:21:30 pm »
That's what I was lead to believe from Neil, the tech guy at the RTA, when I asked.

I wanted a later pre-89 vehicle but then stuck with pre-Aug 1972 to avoid having the headache. In the end though I brought an Aussie car as one came up at a good price. But would still like to buy a yank one later on.

Offline MikeEastwood

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 10:18:15 pm »
Hi ,

Can anyone recommend a good certifier in NSW to get the VSCCS report on my 68 coupe ?
I have done the RHD conversion in US prior to import and have EFI fuel injection on original engine , so pretty sure it needs to be certified...

Thanks !

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 10:20:40 pm »
Hi ,

Can anyone recommend a good certifier in NSW to get the VSCCS report on my 68 coupe ?
I have done the RHD conversion in US prior to import and have EFI fuel injection on original engine , so pretty sure it needs to be certified...

Thanks !

Your choices are pretty limited. Have a look at the official list here and see who is accessible to you

I've read elsewhere that the certifiers aren't necessarily engineers and any qualified mechanic can become a certifier.

I recall the RTA did a shake up of the blue slip system late last year and some mechanics were stripped of the privilege.

There's a list of certifiers here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_bulletin_01.pdf

On the right hand side there's a column that reads 'Whole vehicles', there's the sub-category of Personally imported vehicle (IP)

s

Offline MikeEastwood

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 10:24:37 pm »
Thanks Ash , have gone through the list and will start calling tomorrow...
One thing that surprises me is that my car is catagorized as a "heavy" vehicle only because i have power assisted brakes...

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 10:26:59 pm »
Powers assisted as in something other then factory fitted parts like a booster? If that's the case, I don't know on that one. Be best to ask the RTA or an authorised inspectors on their take on the wording and requirements.

Offline MikeEastwood

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 10:34:19 pm »
Hi Ash , I am referring to power operated brakes as indicated on the RTA website (see below) , I have upgraded power dics brakes from RRS although the car originally (according to marti Report) had "Power Disc Brakes"... will ask RTA I guess...

"Quote from RTA Website"

Safety checks for heavy vehicles
Heavy vehicles include:

Heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM).
Buses 2.5 tonnes tare weight and over.
Licensed tow trucks.
Vehicles fitted with power-operated brakes.
Prime movers.
For more information, see Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Station (HVAIS).

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 10:42:04 pm »
I understand where you are coming from, it can all come down to one persons interpretation of the words on a page. If I've had doubt in the past by what I've been told, I've just rang the RTA tech line for a definite answer.

Offline MikeEastwood

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 10:44:19 pm »
Thanks Ash , will que up in the RTA phone line...and report findings.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 10:46:59 pm »
That'd be good, it'll interesting to hear what they say.  :thumb:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 09:50:24 am »
Heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM).
Buses 2.5 tonnes tare weight and over.
Licensed tow trucks.
Vehicles fitted with power-operated brakes.
Prime movers.
For more information, see Heavy Vehicle Authorised Inspection Station (HVAIS).

I could be wrong but if you look at the other vehicles in that category they're all pretty heavy and I have a feeling that 'power-operated' doesn't mean 'power assist' as in a standard vacuum booster you find in a car but on vehicles like trucks where you can hear a loud gushing sound when they release the brake pressure.

s

Offline MikeEastwood

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 09:44:40 pm »
Hi ,

Yeah you're right is doesnt belong in that category....
Unable to speak to RTA today , but i spoke to a "certified" engineer , he was talking about special checks if you upgrade master cylinder and calipers on new disc brakes , if you use the standard calipers and original master rthen there is no need.
Really dont understand how they make these rules up...
Has anyone ever seen a clear list of what a 1968 Mustang should comply with in order to pass inspection and get a registration in NSW ??
I am referring to a list that outlines each part from direction of headlights to seatbelts to brakes etc.

Thanks

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 08:23:46 am »
I spoke to a "certified" engineer, he was talking about special checks if you upgrade master cylinder and calipers on new disc brakes , if you use the standard calipers and original master then there is no need.

That makes sense, if you add anything that isn't factory standard that component has to pass engineering as well as your car as a whole unit.

Many aftermarket braking systems will have some certification and designed to fit certain cars but if you're doing something experimental and adding brakes from say a Chrysler onto a Mustang there's nothing to say these components will work so an engineer has to check it out to see if it's structurally sound, this is one thing, then they do braking tests, etc. to see if your car passes stopping distances, etc.

Has anyone ever seen a clear list of what a 1968 Mustang should comply with in order to pass inspection and get a registration in NSW ??
I am referring to a list that outlines each part from direction of headlights to seatbelts to brakes etc.

I don't think you'll find one, it seems to work on a per vehicle basis as the mods you do would be unique to your car.

Changing the headlights is a given but then there's rules that fit categories, i.e. if you upgrade some components on a pre 1972 vehicle then you have to change seat belts so it complies with 1972 ADR's.

My guess is if you do a RHD conversion you open up a whole new kettle of fish.

s