Engineering Certificates for WA or Australia

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Engineering Certificates for WA or Australia  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Tonic

• Stallion
  • Welcome to the Mustang Forum
Engineering Certificates for WA or Australia
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:53:48 pm »
Hi all....... I'm building a '65 Coupe and want to go all out on it's rebuild.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has embarked on any of the following mods and have Engineering certs for Australian registration approval. I know they wont be handed over as they aint cheap, but am interested in them as a guide for what I'm embarking on, so I can then know what has been approved before.

- Mini tubs, shortened diff, 4 link to accommodate 18x10's on the rear.
- Drop spindles, new power steering and coil overs up front.
- Disc brakes all round
- Drop tank
- EFI engine conversion (Thinking about the supercharged Coyote 5.0L) and trans.
Maybe much much more as I work further through the build....

Any info/comments, any anything really, would be greatly appreciated, as the bloody Government are making this as hard as possible, to the point where people are just giving up. I'd like to show that it can be done, with help from our Mustang community.

ALL HELP WELCOME.
Cheers,
Hugh.

My, '65 Coupe build thread........
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,18950.0.html

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
Re: Engineering Certificates for WA or Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:42:43 pm »
Go to DPI

Fill in application to modify

Wait 5+ weeks

See reply....

Go from there
Rock on!

Offline Tonic

• Stallion
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:00:34 pm »
Yeah got the forms, just trying to elevate the too'ing 'n' fro'ing that follows any application I've heard attempted so far.
Cheers,
Hugh.

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:47 pm »
Fatal mistake in WA is that people do mods, then have to get application to mod... in other words they put the horse b4 the cart, and if the mods are declined... well ya screwed..

My advice  - send in the docs with ya plans - see what they come back with...saves a lot of time,money and effort

good luck

JC
Rock on!

Offline Tonic

• Stallion
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:37:59 am »
Yeah I've heard the same, luckily long before I brought my car. This will be done right and will be 100% street registerable and legal (as wild as it will be). What I've also heard is that it's extremely important that the wording put onto any application is appropriately sounding like its written by someone with most of his teeth, also mods are backed up with a valid reason for needing them. For any improvement in safety to both the driver/passengers and other road users will never be frowned upon.
Cheers,
Hugh.

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:17:04 pm »
Yeah I've heard the same, luckily long before I brought my car. This will be done right and will be 100% street registerable and legal (as wild as it will be). What I've also heard is that it's extremely important that the wording put onto any application is appropriately sounding like its written by someone with most of his teeth, also mods are backed up with a valid reason for needing them. For any improvement in safety to both the driver/passengers and other road users will never be frowned upon.

+1 on what JC has said.

You actually don't need to word a valid reason for the mods, no need to justify, all you need to do is ensure that its safe, and thats the engineers job.

improvement in safety is never assumed, just look at the ridiculous situations arising out of NCOP in regards to brake upgrades.  People have been told to revert to standard unless brake upgrade has been appropriately tested (and these tests are prohibitively expensive and hard to do).

Offline 65IVE

• L Plates
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 04:40:14 am »
My 65 coupe is currently undergoing all of the kid of mods you have on your wish list and I have already submitted all of the paperwork and got open ended replies basically saying it is doable as long as it complies with section XYZ. The 18's are a no go though as they will only allow up to 17".

I am fitting TCI front end, 4 link rear, Willwood 14" brakes, BA falcon boss 260 motor, turbo 400 box etc etc. The car is at Cronic Customs if you wanted to talk to Adam or Dean about it as they assisted with submission of all the paperwork.

Regards,

Rob.