66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.  (Read 6416 times)

Offline MERDO-FORD

• Stallion
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:04:41 pm »
O.K .I'm trying to replace the spring bushes on my 66 hardtop. Have got the rear done but the fronts dont seem to want to fit....Upon removal noticed it housed a steel crush tube like centre but new nolathane ones dont. I got them out but the new bushs seem too big. Now noticing there seems to be a steel outer aswell as inner still inplace in the spring eye...My question is... do i need to remove this steel outer aswell to get my nolathanes to fit.
Do it to please you not any one else.

Offline coops-001

• Thoroughbred
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:49:39 am »
Well,
1/ does the inside dimension fit on the bolt of the spring with a small amount of movement??
2/ butt the two bushes together, are the shoulders of the bush the same width as the leaf spring?
3/ O.D of the main part of the bush, is it similar size to the ID of the spring eye?
If NO to any or all of these questions, send the kit back. Take lots of measurements and head back to the parts store. I know that Nolathane consolidated part numbers on slow moving p/no, which was annoying. You may want to ask for Makay rubber bush replacement....
Good luck, let us know how you go.

Offline ScottW

• Worked
  • Fence Sitter
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:17:30 am »
I did my 65 a while back.  The rubber bushes had a crush tube down the centre, and an outer shell that I had to remove before I could install the poly bushes.

The poly bushes had a crush tube, but no outer shell.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:13:39 am »
Your first mistake is to use nolethane, its crap. Just use standard bushes they last at least 20 years. Poly bushes are normally to hard and cause other issues, in many cases they fail quicker the standard metalastic bushes, they are of little valuve. And yes you have to remove all of the old bush as when it was new it was one moulded piece. Nolethane is also often much more expensive as well, not sure why as they are easier and cheaper to make than the propper bush.

Offline MERDO-FORD

• Stallion
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:09:25 pm »
thanks guys i'll have a go at removing the old bit of  steel bush....they are a 2 piece bush and are the same size as spring eye but no crush tube on the nolathane's.will now see if crush tube will fit in with  new bush also.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 04:27:03 pm »
Quote from: MERDO-FORD link=topic=18577.msg185294#msg185294
thanks guys i'll have a go at removing the old bit of  steel bush....they are a 2 piece bush and are the same size as spring eye but no crush tube on the nolathane's.will now see if crush tube will fit in with  new bush also.

Needs a crush tube for sure, on the front bush. Cut the out steel outer sleeve out with a hack saw. Un hook the blade stick it through and put it back on the saw, cut it most of the way though the you can drive a punch, chisel, screw driver in to break it.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 05:32:09 pm »
Dont use nolathane ,go by the rubber ones.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 05:34:03 pm »
by the way thats buy not by .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 06:04:28 pm »
Quote from: GLENN 70 link=topic=18577.msg185313#msg185313
by the way thats buy not by .

I got a set from the US last week, think the front eye bushes were $16 US, and the complete shackles, complete with bushes were about $14 each, brand new.

Offline MERDO-FORD

• Stallion
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 09:36:01 pm »
thank's guys,  i've used what was supplied from my local auto shop.....will give them a chance....now i have to work out where the wiring goes on the new solenoid i was supplied...doesn't seem to have any  markings to tell me pos or neg side, starter or ignition . i'm confused.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 10:10:30 pm »
What solenoid ,the one that goes up near the battery,sit it on the inner guard the one facing the firewall goes to the starter the other goes to the battery ,the two small wires, a red one goes to front one ,brown goes to back one .

Offline MERDO-FORD

• Stallion
Re: 66' LEAF SRING BUSHES.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 08:17:13 pm »
Took it to auto elecs....$800 later...problem solved.