gearbox and diff oils?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: gearbox and diff oils?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline 65gtfasty

• Worked
gearbox and diff oils?
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:21:31 pm »
hey
just wondering what peoples preferred gearbox(manual) and diff oil is? just a cruiser not modified in any way .
oils aint oils but just want peoples opinions with there being such a large market out there!
cheers
rhys

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
gearbox and diff oils?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:27:00 pm »
Penrite oils, manual g/box GB 40 , diff if not a LSD, HYP 85/140 , in a LSD prenrte LS diff oil . good in older cars . The old top loader 4 speed used  very thick oil but when cold it made it very hard to shift gears .Ask your penrite seller for advice . penrite oil is the go .

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
gearbox and diff oils?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:50:33 am »
You can run an MTF in a toploader, to speed them up and reduce drag, Valvoline dura gear 75/80 GL4 will be fine, it's thin like auto fuild. In the 80's I used to run M21 holden boxes on auto fuild to speed them up but this offers no extreame pressure protection like diff oil. GL4 oils do. I just use the Dura gear beacuse I use that in my Discovery, it seems to work best in it. It does wear out though, I find in the Disco the syncro performance drops off, change the oil and it's like new again. The MTF oils have additives to make syncro work, diff oils don't. Penrite will make an equivlent, I did try it years ago, but the Disco did not shift as well with it. Dad uses it in his Diesel Disco though.