Which gear to go with? RRS?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Which gear to go with? RRS?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline FastbackJack

• Pony
« on: May 04, 2012, 02:59:47 am »
Hi guys and girls :)  Long time no post but I'm back to seek some advice.  Had relationship problems but she's gone now (:cry:) and I'm back on my feet and looking to get stuck into my '67 Fastback project.  
So I've done some reading and there's so many mixed reviews on RRS, TCp and the others when it comes to suspension/steering and the like.  
So my car is going to be used as a cruiser only, no drags or anything outside of regular driving on weekends and days off.   I'm hoping to put a 347 or a 427 into it (small block) but I'm not sure what the best way to go about upgrading the steering and suspension.
I was initially recommended RRS and they seemed good on my initial look but everyone says 'overpriced and have design/performance flaws'. ie: notchy steering.  
I was hoping for a little advice or info from anyone in the know on this subject.   I'm not placing importance on money in my decision as I am a single guy on a decent income so I don't mind spending a little if it means a good product, but if something is overpriced for what you're getting, I'm not a dumb playboy who will still blow the dough because it 'looks pretty'.  
I am looking at front and rear suspension (coil overs?), disc brakes, power steering.

Thanks in advance, people :)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:50:39 am »
Depends what you want. The RRS fronnt end is not ulimate. It concerns me that the strut design relie on the original lower arm albeit with a plate stuck on it to carry the car, so to the inner pivots. Ford never designed it to do this, they designed the top arm to do this, which is deleted due the RRS strut. Most tcp front ends or componets are a redesign of the original system with extra adjustments, and altered camber curves etc.
In real terms you can mod the factory stuff to wrok fine, for a fraction of the cost. Sorten the caster bar spacers, drop the top arm an inch on the front bolt, and an 1 1/8 on the rear bolt, put some wedges in the top ball joint etc this will improve the caster curve and add extra anti drive under brakes and give it 8 deg of caster. caster is the answer, that's what makes them steer regardless of what front end you have. The rest is just springs shocks and sway bars. Caltracks on the rear will make it hook up like a demon.

Offline Raven

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:49:11 am »
The good thing about it is you have choices available. Shaunp is right, as there are a few basic mods that will make the stock perform better with minimal cost. All the aftermarket stuff have their advantages and disadvantages. It becomes more of an engineering argument which is better. I have the RRS gear in my 67. I chose their product because

It is a local made product.
ADR compliant.
The front strut allowed me more clearance for bigger rubber.
Problems and spares are easier to resolve here ie not in the states.
In my opinion the rrs rear setup leaves the stock for dead.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:49:24 am »
As Shaunp said, I'd fix the original stuff, and maybe use the TCP Bolt in Coil Over kit, if you want full adjustability and tunability.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Heidelberg

• Pony
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 02:36:19 pm »
Do have a look at the "Street or Track" gear..

I'll declare right up front that my mate "Gus" distributes the gear in Australia via his company 64enterprises.com, but I've used his gear on my Tarmac Rally 65 Coupe and it's bloody good gear!

Regards.....Paul