Security

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Security  (Read 10808 times)

Offline mojocoops

• Worked
Security
« on: April 15, 2012, 03:24:53 pm »
Hi all,

I've decided I'm going to get the '67 coupe I looked at the other week.  Have been weighing up some ideas for security, would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

1)  Was going to get a steering wheel lock for a deterrant, though I believe the standard wheels are about 15" and most steering wheel locks only go up to about 33cm.  Anyone know of any longer locks?

2)  Thinking of putting an alarm in with just the standard door light sensors, but I'm wondering how to mount the LED light on the dash without affecting the dash in anyway; and how best to mount the alarm in the engine bay to achieve the same.  Have contemplated just a battery powered flashing LED as a deterrant.

3) GPS tracking unit.  Have been looking at the Mongoose VT404, looks quite good.  You can use their mTrak website for live tracking I think, otherwise you interrogate it with a txt message and it updates its location (either coordinates or a google maps link, handy for smartphone).  You can also remotely engage an immobiliser via txt message.  Downside is the unsightly antennas required to be mounted on the front or rear windscreen - In my mind if someone was stealing the car and saw that they'd rip it off.  Anyone else recommend any decently priced and easy-to-use units?

4)  Security camera for garage.  Have been looking at the Logitech 750e, can get them from Logitech Shop for $295.  Has infrared, connects to home network using HomePlug (i.e. Ethernet over Power, which I'm skeptical of - even though garage and computer room are on same circuits, I hear HomePlug doesn't work well with powerboards).  Can also record video to SD card.  You can set it to only record when movement is detected, and if it is connected to home network you can remotely view footage via browser/smartphone.

Any comments and suggestions welcome, thanks in advance :)

Coops.

Offline POORPIGI

• Stallion
Security
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:36:30 pm »
Get a bloody big rottiweiler. My last dog. I now have a bloody big great dane. Always owned big dogs for the last 40 years and have never been broken and entered.

Most steering wheel locks will fit. There are some great drive wheel locks that are almost impossibe to get off.  

A good alarm with a good immobiliser is what I am going to install, when/if I can find it in the  garage.

Even a simple cut out switch hidden under the dash cant hurt. (unless you keep on cranking because you forgot to switch it on.)

Just remember if they want it they will get it.  Make sure it is insured.

I am just but a tea spoon in the cutlery of life.

68 Convertible.   Charlotte.

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
Security
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 04:44:15 pm »
Quote from: POORPIGI link=topic=17687.msg176541#msg176541

Just remember if they want it they will get it.  Make sure it is insured.

This is the best point anyone will make. No matter how much stuff you have trying to stop them, if someone good enough wants it, they will get it.

I used to manage a Harley spare parts department and some of the stories I've heard about bikes being stolen right underneath someone's feet are amazing. The lengths that some people go to and effort put it, no amount of security is enough of a deterrent.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
Security
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:17:28 pm »
With regards to where to install the flashing LED mine is pushed in the side of the steering column so you can still see it but you don't need to drill holes anywhere.

Offline mojocoops

• Worked
Security
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 05:48:14 pm »
Thanks for the tip mwizz!

And cheers for the other suggestions.  If I had my own place I'd have a dog :) However I'm in an apartment complex with a lockup double garage.

I've had insurance with Shannon's on the car since Thursday (when I was originally going to pick it up), full value/purchase price - so all good there :)

Offline mojocoops

• Worked
Security
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 06:40:58 pm »
Also, how about removing the distributor rotor? Easy enough for me to remove and replace when I need to drive - car won't be going anywhere without it!

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Security
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:47:42 am »
Why don't you try one of these.
I am thinking of putting one in my Joker just haven't got around to it yet.

You just connect the wire to something metalic like a screw somewhere in the car or something you can touch without anyone noticing while you turn the key to start the engine.

only costs $69 on Ebay.

Moz:thumb:

TOUCH SENSOR IMMOBILISER

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
Security
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:01:20 am »
Quote from: Moz link=topic=17687.msg176629#msg176629

You just connect the wire to something metalic like a screw somewhere in the car or something you can touch without anyone noticing while you turn the key to start the engine.

only costs $69 on Ebay
TOUCH SENSOR IMMOBILISER

These sound the go.
Are they any good ?
Anyone got one installed ?
Any feedback on these ?
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
Security
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:01:29 am »
Anyone with a tip tray tow truck can get any car if they want it.

My thoughts are a satellite tracking system at least with that you can track where the car went.

We use them at a company I work for to track the company cars.

I have no idea what they cost.

peterp
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Security
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:10:31 am »
Quote from: Moz link=topic=17687.msg176629#msg176629
Why don't you try one of these.
I am thinking of putting one in my Joker just haven't got around to it yet.

only costs $69 on Ebay.

Moz:thumb:

TOUCH SENSOR IMMOBILISER

The same guy sells Tracking devices for Cars:

GPS Car Tracking Device

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Security
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:56:36 am »
Last year in Melbourne a guy had his brand new Bobcat stolen from his house while it was sitting on the trailer.
It was worth $80,000 and he had a GPS Tracker installed so he logged in and tracked it while it was heading north about 30 Klm's away
and talking to the Cops told them where it was going street by street.
The police arrived and arrested the Thief while he was parking the trailer in his back yard.

F**king Awesome

Moz :fantastic:

Offline mojocoops

• Worked
Security
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 08:17:01 pm »
Cheers Moz!  That touch-sense immobiliser seems pretty cool.  The GPS tracker appears to be very similar to the Mongoose VT404 - but cheaper!  So definitely tempted.  Still unsure about the antennas being visibly mounted on the glass.

Offline Raven

• Worked
Security
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 08:21:02 pm »
Moz  

You made my day when I read your post. I would of loved to see the look on the knobs face when the cops pulled up! I am starting to look at video surveillance for my own place to back up my alarm system plus car alarms etc. My car is almost done so it would be easier to disappear and every little barrier helps. A good post mojocoops and links guys.:thumb:

Thanks

Raven

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Security
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 08:24:00 pm »
If you are going to get the GPS Unit

I would mount the arials on top of  the speaker grill on the front dash
I recon you won't even notice them there

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Security
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 08:26:54 pm »
Quote from: Raven link=topic=17687.msg176704#msg176704
Moz  

You made my day when I read your post. I would of loved to see the look on the knobs face when the cops pulled up! I am starting to look at video surveillance for my own place to back up my alarm system plus car alarms etc. My car is almost done so it would be easier to disappear and every little barrier helps. A good post mojocoops and links guys.:thumb:

Thanks

Raven

I would have arrived at his place 5 minutes before the cops just to beat the hell out of him

Moz:bats:

Offline mojocoops

• Worked
Security
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 08:27:00 pm »
Thanks Moz, I'll check it out :)

Offline j1autotech

• Worked
  • MOCA VIC member 1828
  • Name: Justin
Security
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 03:51:33 am »
Quote from: mojocoops link=topic=17687.msg176703#msg176703
Still unsure about the antennas being visibly mounted on the glass.

Any reason why the antennas can`t be fitted under the roof lining or placed under the speaker grill in the centre of the dash or just under the panel between the rear window and boot ???

Or do they need a clean line of sight ???

J1

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
Security
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 04:14:44 am »
I think they need clear line of site?

Offline mojocoops

• Worked
Security
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 12:48:31 pm »
And they can't be obstructed by metal. Could mount in the boot and have antenna on rear window, but would then need to run power to boot.

Offline Raven

• Worked
Security
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 08:28:22 pm »
Found some info on the logitech security cameras.

http://www.mikes-review.com/logitech-alert.htm

Don't know what size the antenna is, but what about underneath the centre console or behind the front windscreen pillar pad?

Offline mojocoops

• Worked
Security
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 10:18:38 pm »
Thanks Raven.  I think I will get it, and just hope it works through power boards.  Also, I've only one outlet in the garage by the door - hopefully no one will think to disconnect the extension lead in it.

I'll have a look around the dash this weekend and see what I can work out for the antennas.

Offline ozford

• Worked
Security
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 08:43:07 pm »
Quote from: Moz link=topic=17687.msg176707#msg176707
Quote from: Raven link=topic=17687.msg176704#msg176704
Moz  

Thanks

Raven

I would have arrived at his place 5 minutes before the cops just to beat the hell out of him

Moz:bats:

don't ferk with moz an his mates :soap:

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Security
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 08:48:45 am »
Quote from: Raven link=topic=17687.msg176788#msg176788
Found some info on the logitech security cameras.

It could act as a deterrent if they see it from outside but it won't  stop them stealing your car.

As for Club locks, I think the 'Click It' by Club proved to be the best - on ACA a few years back it took a locksmith over 5 minutes to remove it and they say that's too long for your average car thief to be working on a car.

Also during the tests they had the lock barrel facing the driver, if you're using a Club lock be sure to have the barrel facing the dash - this way it'd be pretty hard if not impossible to get a slide hammer, drill, etc. in position. Thieves can of course cut through/bend/break the steering wheel to remove it.

I'm sure there was a forum member here who had a removable steering wheel device.  You remove the wheel and lock a cap onto the steering column.

You have to buy the special steering wheel but they do have some that look very much like Mustang wheels as well as other popular makes and models.  

It's probably one of the best devices, I can imagine thieves carrying a spare rotor button but not many would carry a spare wheel and they'd have to get around the column cap lock.

Apart from that a GPS tracker would be the only thing against someone towing your vehicle, won't stop them taking it but you can track them down ... as long as you get to them before they start stripping/dumping it.

s

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Security
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 06:44:03 pm »

Offline mojocoops

• Worked
Security
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 07:05:33 pm »
Thanks, those wheels look good - definitely something I'd consider.

First priority for now is GPS tracker I think, then I'll look at further deterrents - which will give me more piece of mind if I park it in public.