Welding gear for a newbie

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Welding gear for a newbie  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Meaty0

• Worked
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:35 am »
Hi guys,

Well I'm thinking it's time I started to learn welding and I needs to get me a home welding kit suitable for doing restoration work on a Mustang.

I'm going to do a TAFE course on welding, but wondered what sort of gear you guys would recommend starting with.

Paul
If it's worth owning, it's had a song written about it.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:14:03 pm »
Hi Paul.

I was in the same position as you.

I bought a Cigweld 150 MIG which is a gas or gasless welder.

I think its fine for what I am doing, but it would be nice if it had finer heat control. But to get a Lincoln or similar with that was about $1000+.

Obviously gas welding is better, but unfortunately gas is expensive - you have to rent a cylinder and buy the gas. You can get those little cylinders in Bunnings etc. but they last about 5 mins.

I was looking at a TAFE course also, but for $300+ each for level 1 and 2 , they didn't seem to teach much actual welding.

I would not spend less than $500 and get a brand name.

Thats my 2c from a newbie also.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Meaty0

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »
Thanks Frank,

I might see if I can pick up a Lincoln (or similar good brand) second hand.  Some of the safety gear is pretty expensive too
If it's worth owning, it's had a song written about it.

Offline Raven

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 04:24:31 pm »
Paul

I went with the Lincon 180c from a welding supplies with a 3 year warranty. It works really well both gas and gasless. Buy a welder first, google and youtube "How to Weld" and have a go. You would appreciate doing a course once you have had a few attempts at it.

Cheers
Dino

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 04:34:14 pm »
The Lincoln 180c is the one to go for. hard to find 2nd hand as noone probably wants to sell them !

There was a guy on eBay that was auctioning them and getting around $900. i dont see him on there anymore tho.

Unimig 180 I think are also good.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:07:11 pm »
I have a Lincoln 180C and love it, paid $1000 for it but if you are doing a lot of welding them it pays to get a good one. Don,t waste you money on a gasless welder, won't do half as good a job as the gass. And then it's practice, practice, practice.:thumb: