RHD Conversion for 1965 Mustang.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: RHD Conversion for 1965 Mustang.  (Read 14093 times)

Offline Ryan McCully

• L Plates
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:19:27 am »
Hi,
    I am wishing to convert my 1965 Fastback Mustang to RHD, I have asked on the U.K Forums, but when asking they seem to get upset when you mention ' RHD Conversions '. If anyone can give information on doing the firewall and dash would be much appreciated, as I know these conversions seem to be quite common in Australia :hammer:.

Many thanks,

Ryan :smile02:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:47:47 pm »
Ryan it is mostly done using Austalian Ford Falcon parts modified.  Australian Falcons are very similar to mustang in the front suspension design 67 on you can swap over most of the front end with a Falcon, generally a 1980's variable ratio Power steering box from an XD-XF Falcon. Drag link is cut/shut xrayed to suit as a Falcon is 23mm wider than a Mustang. There are some picutres of my 67  here somewhere. You can buy aftermacket steering rack conversions here, but they are not cheap.
If you do it right it will be better than new.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:50:11 pm »
http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4261#pid29759

Rack if you want a bolt in solution, not much if any advantage over the XF falcon box

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rack.html

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:46:34 pm »
Hello Ryan I sent you a U2U
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline ejmustang

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:12:33 pm »
Hey ryan if you would like some pics of my conversion on my 66 convertible  i will send them to you,:welcome: dont know how to put them up on the forum they havent made it easy to do  not like facebook

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 03:18:28 pm »
Quote from: ejmustang link=topic=17454.msg174118#msg174118
Hey ryan if you would like some pics of my conversion on my 66 convertible  i will send them to you,:welcome: dont know how to put them up on the forum they havent made it easy to do  not like facebook

For your pictures you sign up for photo bucket. Select Upload photos and one at a time you can upload your photos into photo bucket.

In posting to this forum you click the Insert an Image icon and use the address of the photo in photo bucket and it will add the photo into your post.
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline mof

• Pony
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:40 pm »
hey ejmustang i would like to check out some of your pics as well....would love to try that next on the 66!

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:40 pm »
Quote from: ejmustang link=topic=17454.msg174118#msg174118

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8124

Offline mkeily

• Pony
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:17:01 pm »
Ryan, have just been through the conversion experience. I suggest you do research. No, simply fitting falcon parts to a 65 is not the unqualified correct answer. If you change stub axles to falcon you are likely to affect the geometry. Similarly springs and shocks from a falcon may be too stiff for the lighter Mustang. I have just spent $10K fixing a conversion that was not done correctly.:cry:

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:39:23 pm »
You can't use falcon disc stub unless you bend the steering arms, other wise they will bump steer.

Offline Ryan McCully

• L Plates
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 07:35:43 am »
Thanks for all the replies :hammer:, I will be using Total Control suspension with their RHD Steering Rack, so all I reall need is photos and details on how to convert the firewall and the dash :thumb:.

Thanks for all of your replies :hammer:

Ryan.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:20:13 am »
Do the fire wall as I have done in the link provided, 65 is very similar in the way you do it to a 67. You can  just make the LH side flat if you get hold of an Australian Falcon heater unit, they bolt straight to a flat wall as falcons had flat walls. My car has to have the bulge as it has factory intergrated AC.

The pedal box in my car is a Falcon where it meets the fire wall, and mustang where it meets the dash, welded together.  You can see the standard falcon one next to the modified one  in the picture against the MGA wheel.
Dash, most just swap the ends over on a 65 and leave the heater controls on the left side, if you want to shift them you need to mod them as they hit the radio when you shift them to the right.

If your car is an auto any Australian pedal set from 1970 to 1985 will work. Also use a brake booster and master cylinder, from an XA or XB falcon again as pictured on my car. If manual you will need the clutch set up from an XA/XB falcon and master cylinder.