Personal import GST???

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Personal import GST???  (Read 2934 times)

Offline dools

• L Plates
Personal import GST???
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:25:26 am »
Hi All, can someone offer some advice. I have been in US for a bit over two years, owned 2 classic cars (one in each adults name) for over twelve months with rego etc. Customs said I have to pay GST, any ideas what gives.

Cheers
Dools

:huh:

Offline dalex

• Worked
Personal import GST???
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:46:50 am »
You can avoid GST. You have to apply for the personal import approval correctly though as a returning to Australia (link to form below). If concerned read the below links and call the infrastructure guys. Once again it is critical to get this right at the import approval.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/index.aspx

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/personal_import_application_201107.pdf

Offline dools

• L Plates
Personal import GST???
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:16 pm »
I've spoken to a couple in Infastructure guys and customs guys on different days and it seems you can't get  past the GST, import duty is not applicable due to to timeframe of ownership. The perosnal effects import at the same time as cars didn't wash either. The web does detail GST exeption for disability vehicles.

Is there a loophole I am missing, it must be a real small one.

Dools

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Personal import GST???
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 11:19:25 pm »
It sucks that we have to pay GST on a 2nd hand item, if I buy a car from the trading post here in Aus. I don't have to pay GST so wtf Aus. govt.?

s

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
Personal import GST???
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:16:27 pm »
I imagine its like most things, they use to think that taxing things from overseas can make buyers by Australian made and save jobs here.  

Its not the way now.  

They are inventing taxes in a way to destroy the economy we have and no interest in creating jobs.   Go figure.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
Personal import GST???
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 09:42:43 pm »
Quote from: Macka link=topic=17240.msg173359#msg173359
I imagine its like most things, they use to think that taxing things from overseas can make buyers by Australian made and save jobs here.  

Well it may stop people importing higher end cars, let's say you buy a $100,000 second hand Shelby, on top of import costs you add 10% so that's over 10k in taxes.

That may just be enough to break somebody's bank and decide to buy something cheaper locally.

It works similarly at the smaller end of the scale, it won't scare off those with money to burn but if you're scratching to get just enough money to buy the damned things, that extra kick in the nuts may just put you off.

s

Offline Red 66

• Worked
Personal import GST???
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 08:12:22 am »
Quote from: StephenSLR link=topic=17240.msg173364#msg173364
Quote from: Macka link=topic=17240.msg173359#msg173359

Well it may stop people importing higher end cars, let's say you buy a $100,000 second hand Shelby, on top of import costs you add 10% so that's over 10k in taxes.

That may just be enough to break somebody's bank and decide to buy something cheaper locally.

It works similarly at the smaller end of the scale, it won't scare off those with money to burn but if you're scratching to get just enough money to buy the damned things, that extra kick in the nuts may just put you off.

s

Not only the GST on 100k you would also be up for luxury tax :banghead::soap::banghead:

Barry