'65 codes

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: '65 codes  (Read 2011 times)

Offline blackbox

• Worked
'65 codes
« on: July 13, 2007, 06:32:15 pm »
Hi All,
Finally got my 65 coupe through customs and AQIS today... what a relief!
Though they made me steam clean the car and cut the carpet out and clean below the carpet. (floor pans look really good!!!) I have had a big day. But I have her now.
I bought this car when I was in LA for USD$3K and it was a inpulse buy with no research. I have been reading the info on the forum since then and I am now way more informed about Mustangs. I have noticed today the drivers (Left) door appears to be a different one from original (due to colour in door trim) also the codes on the plate on that door dont match the chasis numbers.
Can someone tell me if they should. Also can I tell what code my car originally
was via the chasis number stamped near the fender bolts under the bonnet?

TIA

James.

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
'65 codes
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 07:27:46 pm »
Welcome to owning a 65, remember it is a 41 year old car and has seen a lot of traffic crashes since being made.  My car when I bought it also had a different buck code plate on the door.  All I figured was that the car had been in a crash and they replaced the door with a donor car from a wrecking yard and did not take the other cars buck tag off.  No big deal.  I got Mark at Capital classics? to make up a replacement bucktag for the car.

Put the chasis number on the web page and someone will decode it for you and tell you exactly what you bought,  Good news about the floors though.  Carpet is pretty cheap and easy to replace and makes the car look much better inside so its not all bad.;_
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
'65 codes
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 07:33:41 pm »
James, the vehicle warranty number on the door tag should match the VIN on the inner guard. The engine code is the 5th character in that number. eg: 5R07A........  The "A" is the engine code. A=289 4V, C=289 2V etc.

Enjoy your new toy!

Evan.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
'65 codes
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:30:32 pm »
As Ev has stated and here are a couple more.
T - 200 CID 6 cyl.
K - 289 4V Hi Perf.

Early 65 had a couple of others-
F - 260 2V
U - 170 6 cyl.
D - 289 4V low comp.

nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline blackbox

• Worked
'65 codes
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 08:27:45 am »
Thanks Guys.

If the 5th character is it, then it is a C code. (door says A code)
The Mexican I bought the car off had about 3 old 65's and he told me it was a shell when he acquired  it so it has a different engine etc.
But looks like a 289 to me.
The car is in Black primer at the moment. I bought back a stack of parts in the boot and the plan for the car is to rebuild the front end (which is shocking at the moment) and engine and install new interior and put her on the road under black primer.

Time to get my hands dirty...

Thanks, James.