65 RHD Dash

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 65 RHD Dash  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Smed

• P Plates
65 RHD Dash
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:23:11 pm »
I have asked this question before but got some new info today which may have some merit. I wrecked a written off Ford Australia coupe several years ago & put the dash into my 65 fastback as it is pressed RHD, definately hasn't been cut & shut. I was told today that Ford Aust. actually imported 15 cars in 65 that were factory RHD, the rest were converted in Aust. Apparently part of Canada was RHD in 65 & they were made for this reason. Does anyone have any info & I can supply photos of the dash if you email me (smedg@bigpond.net.au). The dash curves out around the radio instead of in on a normal LHD dash. I also have the door tag off the coupe somewhere. Would appreciate any info.

Offline Moz

• Blue Printed
65 RHD Dash
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:52:11 am »
I would love to see some pics of that
Can you send them to me

thanks

Moz

lsbservices@bigpond.com

Offline Lesc67

• Stallion
  • Enjoying the Drive
65 RHD Dash
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:54 pm »
There is a White 66 on Car Sales in Rozelle,
Sydney that states is an original factory RHD from San Jose California if this is any help

Offline ejmustang

• Worked
65 RHD Dash
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:57:15 pm »
how about some pics of it !!:fantastic:

Offline ashley47

• Stallion
65 RHD Dash
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 08:27:07 pm »
It's funny, this subject seems to pop up every couple of years about RHD Mustangs.

Found this many many years back about 40+ 1966's that were imported into Australia.

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~mexmust/Australian/ozstang.pdf

Fits into the same category as the two elusive 65 fastbacks that rolled off the factory as demo's built with Independent Rear Suspension and still reside in Detroit. Hmmmm

Offline ashley47

• Stallion
65 RHD Dash
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 08:45:22 pm »
I think it’s a case of “wouldn’t it be nice” to think that there is this rare elements of the mustang line out there somewhere. But in reality…I don’t think there is. This are production line cars, pumped out by the 10’s of thousands. Yes there was limited edition colours eg (Acapulco Blue, Timberline Green etc) which were apart of special releases. Same goes for the 66 6cyl releases with the Chrome finishes on the motor. A nice additive but not rare.  Only those optioned with unusual items, eg Engine etc are deem rare.
I personally own a 66 T-5, got the tag that says xx for export, the Ford only logo’s on the hub cabs, steering wheel and gas cap and the KPH speedo and one T5 fender badge, no idea where the other one went. Yes not many around but not rare or even priced as a rare car. The only thing that makes my car a little different is the factory fitted rear window demister that it came with. I was offered $1000 for that piece alone and the Equalok differential which not many 7/1/4 diffs had. Try finding parts for that thing……Arhhhhhh
So RHD Mustangs in 1965-66…..NO. There was no market to warrant tooling to be made nor the facilities equipped to pump these out. Blimey I wish there was cos some converted my car before I got it and I’m sure they did it with a butter knife.

Of course if I am proved wrong then I will eat my words