Should I put the 302 in my T code?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Should I put the 302 in my T code?  (Read 7593 times)

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:21:38 pm »
Just wanting to know your thoughts. I have a T code and I was supplied with a 302. The motor is in pieces in my garage waiting for rings bearings and head work.

I Read this section on an article found in the following link :

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_0207_1967_ford_mustang_gt_convertible/index.html#ixzz1kSRl22mD

and I was wondering because my car was a bench seat basic would it be more valuable with a 200 ci or the 302 I got as a substitute for my car?

Least expensive '67 Mustang produced was the base model with 200ci six, three-speed manual transmission, and no options-not even an A.M. radio. Just 1,856 of them were produced. Sticker was $2,461.46. The most expensive '67 Mustang produced (excluding Shelby GT350 and GT500) was a Candyapple Red '67 Mustang GT convertible with 390-4V High Performance V-8 and virtually every option you can imagine. This particular unit had a DSO code of 89-Transportation Services. It was leased by a Ford employee in Dearborn and ultimately sold through a Ford dealer in Indianapolis. Sticker price was $4,905.32-nearly double the cheapest '67 sold.

Do you have a '67 Mustang that fits the description of any of these extremes? If so, we'd like to hear from you. If you'd like to know more about Kevin Marti's vast Ford database and how you can receive original factory information on your '67-'73 Mustang, please contact Kevin at Marti Auto Works, Dept. MM, 12007 W. Peoria, El Mirage, AZ 85335, 623/935-2558.

Read more: 1967 Ford Mustang GT Converitble - Performance Parts V8 Engine - Mustang Monthly

Also considering these stats from the stats below taken from this link http://mustangs.about.com/od/modelyearprofiles/a/1967-profile.htm

1967 Ford Mustang Production Stats
Standard Convertible: 38,751 units
Luxury Convertible: 4,848 units
Convertible w/Bench Seats: 1,209 units
Standard Coupe: 325,853 units
Luxury Coupe: 22,228 units
Coupe w/Bench Seats: 21,397 units
Standard Fastback: 53,651 units
Luxury Fastback: 17,391 units

Total Production: 472,121 units

should I go for a 6 or install my V8? Could I use my V8 and if someone wants original I could just find a 6 falcon motor for them?

Please go easy if you don't like T codes it's all I have :feedback:
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:31:00 pm »
I installed a 302 into my first Stang .A 1968 T code. Was the best body you could find completely rust free.Still see the car regularly and it's still got the straightest body out. And I still get into trouble from the family for selling it.
I changed everything Front discs, G/B ,diff,tailshaft Big Block radiator..Cost for the complete driveline was only $1200 .Gave me a beautiful ,tight car to drive. With performance to boot.
Stormin

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:59:58 pm »

Install your V8!

We have a gorgeous 68 Coupe with a showcar Gulfstream Aqua paint job. Fully recond 6 cylinder engine, C4 Auto. The car won an award at its first outing. This is the car -

( please no wise cracks about the girl. She is Fiona - Brads new bride )

We advertised the car for 24k and there was absolutely no interest.

It already has the V8 front suspension with 5 stud disc rotors, we even fitted a diff with 5 stud axles. Would now be so easy to drop a V8 in there. Only thing stopping us is the South Australian rego laws. Bugger!

Seems everbody wants a V8. Go for it!

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:36:09 am »
For anyone interested this shot was taken at the Mustang Nationals 2010 in Adelaide
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:08:59 pm »
Quote from: rocket link=topic=17018.msg169967#msg169967

Install your V8!

We have a gorgeous 68 Coupe with a showcar Gulfstream Aqua paint job. Fully recond 6 cylinder engine, C4 Auto. The car won an award at its first outing. This is the car -

It already has the V8 front suspension with 5 stud disc rotors, we even fitted a diff with 5 stud axles. Would now be so easy to drop a V8 in there. Only thing stopping us is the South Australian rego laws. Bugger!

Rocket.

Have you tied http://www.carsales.com.au/ ?

A great man said to me, if they start nit picking about a T code it's usually time to ask them "show me yours"
1967 Mustang Convertible with fries and the works, hold the rust, no timber thank you, go easy on the Bondo and I'll have that in Right Hand Drive please.

Offline dalex

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:22:17 pm »
Go ahead with the 302 if that is what you want. I would not think it would be worth any less for doing so if that is your concern.

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 03:48:39 pm »
Quote from: dalex link=topic=17018.msg170046#msg170046
Go ahead with the 302 if that is what you want. I would not think it would be worth any less for doing so if that is your concern.

Thank you that was my concern.

I wonder if there are people who try to collect every type of car produced in a type of manufacture for their collection? If so then a rare car would be well sought after.

I wouldn't want to spoil that and with only 1209 1967 bench seat convertibles ever produced that would certainly be the case?
VIN: 7T03T118615

7: 1967
T: Built at Metuchen
03: Mustang convertible
T: 200-1V

76C: Mustang Convertible
8: Springtime Yellow Paint, Ford #1955-A
4A: Black Standard Bench Seat
04K: Scheduled For Build: October 4, 1966
34: Indianapolis Ordering District
2: 2.83 standard axle ratio
W: C-4 Cruise-O-Matic Transmission
Dealer#: 46I007

Ordered with following options:

Black Power Top w/ Glass Backlite
C-4 Cruise-O-Matic Transmission
6.95X14-4 ply rated tires
White Sidewall Tires
Rocker Panel Moulding
AM Radio
Deluxe Seat Belts
Wheel Covers

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:36:07 pm »
Stick the V8 in it. Rare doesnt always mean desirable. Some of the rarer cars are only rare cause not many people wanted a car in that spec. Unless you went 100 percent concourse with date code correct parts a 6 banger with bench seat isn't going to be a big dollar item ever.

Nothing wrong with a T code, if you restomod it the letter in vin means bugger all anyway.

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 04:52:54 pm »
Quote from: soc123_au link=topic=17018.msg170050#msg170050
Stick the V8 in it. Rare doesnt always mean desirable. Some of the rarer cars are only rare cause not many people wanted a car in that spec. Unless you went 100 percent concourse with date code correct parts a 6 banger with bench seat isn't going to be a big dollar item ever.

Nothing wrong with a T code, if you restomod it the letter in vin means bugger all anyway.

thanks for your advice. I'll install the V8 and have fun with the car.

I am a little worried that they don't give prises to T codes with V8's at car shows?

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:47:51 pm »
Build the car to suit what you want, if judges at shows dont like it who cares. As long as you love it that is all that counts.

If you enter it in a Mustang concourse you will be marked down, but you will get marked down for any mods. Unless you enter the modified class. Theoreticaly you then should get bonus points for a non standard engine.:cool:

At a general multi marque show I highly doubt the judges would even look at your vin number let alone know what the 5th digit means.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:46:15 pm »

A great man said to me, if they start nit picking about a T code it's usually time to ask them "show me yours"

I like that one... LOL
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:14:06 pm »
Quote from: Mustangpaul1 link=topic=17018.msg170045#msg170045

Install your V8!

Rocket.

If they start nit picking about a T code i would happily tell them to eff off!:smile01:

In no rush to sell our T Code. It is one of our favourite cars.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 10:33:07 am »
Quote from: rocket link=topic=17018.msg170099#msg170099
Quote from: Mustangpaul1 link=topic=17018.msg170045#msg170045

Install your V8!

Rocket.

If they start nit picking about a T code i would happily tell them to eff off!:smile01:

In no rush to sell our T Code. It is one of our favourite cars.

Rocket.

If original value determines future value, then why are some rare old pennies worth more than some not so rare sixpences? That's my 3 cents worth.:agree::ok::thumb::gpost::hello::burnout:

R_Beckhaus

R_Beckhaus
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 11:07:47 am »
My '68 coupe is a T-code which now has a roller cam 5.0L in it. Great car, love it to bits and wouln't have any other because it was built (by me) to be driven and thoroughly enjoyed without worrying about getting a stone chip on the way to a concourse. Most people envying your ride as you cruise on by wouldn't know a T-Code from a SAO biscuit, they just see a Mustang and drool! Enjoy.
Cheers, Ron B

Offline Mustangpaul

• Look before you leap
  • Worked
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 04:14:21 pm »
Quote from: R_Beckhaus link=topic=17018.msg170151#msg170151
My '68 coupe is a T-code which now has a roller cam 5.0L in it. Great car, love it to bits and wouln't have any other because it was built (by me) to be driven and thoroughly enjoyed without worrying about getting a stone chip on the way to a concourse. Most people envying your ride as you cruise on by wouldn't know a T-Code from a SAO biscuit, they just see a Mustang and drool! Enjoy.
Cheers, Ron B

Drool the will, drool they will. Poor bstds