1971 Grande - Opinions

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1971 Grande - Opinions  (Read 3008 times)

Offline nineteen7nine

• L Plates
1971 Grande - Opinions
« on: January 30, 2012, 03:16:39 pm »
I'm searching around my hometown in Indiana for a lower cost mustang to import here to Victoria. I know a bit more about the '60s era 'stangs but I thought this looked like a possible bargain:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2821268311.html

Providing all the seller says is true (my brother is local and will check it out in person), what are your opinions?

Vicroads states that 1969-1988 vehicles have to have VASS approval certificate. Will that be much of a worry?

Offline 72mac1

• Stallion
1971 Grande - Opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:47:07 pm »
 With more & more parts being repoduce every year for the 71-73 stangs most parts are
available with the exepction of
1) Firewall
2)Cowel
3) Front shock towers
 4)Roof Drip rails
 I would reconsider a car with bad rust in # 1/2/3 area's unless your handy at fabbing
your own pannels, try to get it up on a hoist as the shock tower rust is near impossible
to see from the top in some spots, other than that just the usual spots to check
 wheel arch and lower rear quarters, front rails & rad support are common area's
mechanicals are pretty easy with most of it being available here in Oz but I belive
power brake parts are not a straight swap, as for rego - in NSW the only thing I
had to do was change the headlights, these are just some of the things that I have
come accross in my limited time as a 72 mach 1 owner and I am by no means any
type of expert, for some really good advice other than what you will get from the
wealth of knowlage on here head over to
http://www.7173mustangs.com where they live and breath this model

Cheers
 Mark  

Offline nineteen7nine

• L Plates
1971 Grande - Opinions
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:07:39 pm »
Thanks for that info. I've forwarded it to my bro to help him know what to look for.

Offline dalex

• Worked
1971 Grande - Opinions
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:55:14 pm »
Hello and welcome,

If you want an opinion, then mine is to spend more than that. By the time you go through transport, shipping, port charges, GST, RWC etc., you are better off doing it with a better car to start with.

If you like that shape Mustang, have a good look at the convertibles, they can look quite awesome in the sporty guise.

As for the VASS engineers approval, you will need it for full registration, but not for a club permit.

Read this thread for more info.

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13658#pid158331

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
  • Name: Brett
1971 Grande - Opinions
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:24:01 pm »
Quote from: nineteen7nine link=topic=16992.msg169709#msg169709

Vicroads states that 1969-1988 vehicles have to have VASS approval certificate. Will that be much of a worry?

For my '72 the VASS was $800 for the engineer.

He wanted to see Aussie Standard lap/sash seatbelts all round, headlights that dip to the left, some heat reflective tape on the fuel line where it passed close to the exhaust, and structurally sound (i.e. no rust).

The VASS engineer is checking to see that your car complies with the Australian Vehicle Standards for the year it was made - Australian standards pretty much followed US standards back then so apart from the few items I listed above a 1971 Grande will comply 99% right off the bat.

So the answer is no, VASS is not much of a worry, only a minor inconvenience. The VASS cert expires after 30 days so need to be careful by coordinating your RWC, the VASS cert, and VicRoads registration appointment together so the RWC or VASS doesn't expire and cause you to spend extra money to renew.

Offline zinko

• Pony
1971 Grande - Opinions
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »
Ill be in Indy next month if it isn't sold yet, I can take a look at it for you if you wish.

Its my home town too---small world.

Robert_zinko@yahoo.com