2001 rear control arm repairs

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 2001 rear control arm repairs  (Read 4489 times)

Offline ray_aus

• Pony
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:15:02 am »
I have just had the car lowered and found the rear control arm bushings  have started to perished.
Just wondering if any one locally has repaired or replaced the bushing or arms and at what cost?
If the bushings have been replaced has it been reliable?
As there are kits available from the US but the consensus is to replace the control arms.
From what I can establish, the bushing only last about 10 years
Any feedback appreciated.

Offline GT350H

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 07:24:10 am »
Havent had to change mine as the car has only travelled 38,000km
AKA Emberglo-66

Offline ray_aus

• Pony
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 08:18:33 pm »
I took the car to my mechanic and he had a good look they do not need replacing showed me under the car and all was tight.
I must say it did sound strand when it was first reported to me as the car handled well especially round bends.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 06:23:46 pm »
I've just bought a set of IRS bushes, not control arm bushes, but the kit for the cradle, the life expectancy of the OEM rubber bushes is about 10 years/100K's apparently...

There are a couple of interesting quirks (I've not done mine yet) as the cradle is held on to the chassis at the front by 2 x 12mm bolts. The holes in the cradle and the frame are 14mm....

The kit has 2 x 14mm bolts (same thread size) and harder bushes. I have the bushes for the diff centre/cradle mounts too - I'm trying to remove some of the Cobra "thunk" as you get on/off the gas, it's a common complaint.
I seem to have a lot of play in my half-shafts when comparing one side to another, according to my mechanic, but I'll get the bushes done first and see what changes...
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)