vinyl roof redo and lights

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: vinyl roof redo and lights  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Jazz

• Pony
« on: October 24, 2011, 07:08:47 pm »
Hi All, I have my car back from having the engine redone, with my help, which was pretty good. First run in it, was out to the Muka Spring Festival, so nice to be back on the road.
I need some advice on getting the vinyl roof, redone, looking for a good place in Perth to take it too, it has a couple of fade spots, and I feel a couple of hard pin sized lumps under it (rust maybe) so would like to know???
Also as I live in the bush, could someone give me advice on lights, I got some at autopro, and they do not sit in the band, they are too narrow, what do other people do, to get great lights????
Put brand new white walls on the car last friday at this most amazing place in Perth called McMates places, features in the lastest autotrader, done as a 1960's garage, the owner thinks he may have the only one in the world. Check it out???

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 02:04:19 am »
There's a bloke close to me in Osborne Park who does vinyl roofs. He's got a 67 Chevy in his workshop that he's put a new one on. He knows old cars. I'll get his number for you.
Rick

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 10:30:28 am »
Hi there jazz.

That place is on the social calandar for a club event. I cant wait to see it. Been alot of buzz around it. Hope its successful!

Vinyl top cars are prone to having the roof rusted out. Be prepared for some major repairs.

Goodluck!

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:53:35 am »
Quote from: tim_morrison82 link=topic=16118.msg161283#msg161283

Vinyl top cars are prone to having the roof rusted out. Be prepared for some major repairs.

Goodluck!

Not always Tim, don't scare the poor guy. I've got one here that's fine.
Rick

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 12:51:10 pm »
You can buy them from Cal mustang, got a new cover for my car, not expensive about $120 I think and they are stiched and welded so they don't let moiture in.

http://www.cal-mustang.com/MUSTANG-VINYL-TOPS-1965-73-C662.aspx

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »
It may not be the case, but you should get all rust in the roof sorted and the rest rust protected before installing the new vinyl.

It might not be a quick job, but it definately should be done while the roof is off. Otherwise the next time you  need to replace it, there wont be anything left...

If you dont need rust repairs, you should still get it protected.

Just my 2c

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:59:47 pm »
Jazz the trimmer is B Trimmed, 46 Frobisher St Osborne Park  ph: 9443 9797. Steve is the owner, good bloke. He has done some retrimming for me.

If you've only got pin hole size lumps and they're hard (can't depress them) it might just be dirt or lumpy bits of glue from when the vinyl was installed. Good luck.
Rick

Offline Jazz

• Pony
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 06:48:00 pm »
Thanks for the addy Pony ride for the roof redo, was your ride out at Muka????By way I'm girl not "guy". Can you help with some good lights for my "ole girl". Not sure where to go, and when I ask at the car parts shops, no-one really sure what I mean???? Thanks in advance:hope: