Rear Disc Conversion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Rear Disc Conversion  (Read 3324 times)

Offline mustang69

• P Plates
Rear Disc Conversion
« on: October 01, 2005, 10:19:44 am »
Hi All,
Has anyone completed a rear disc conversion on a 69 sportsroof?
I am contemplating visiting a wreckers but have no idea of the pittfalls that may befall me!
All the spanners I speak to are pushing their own wagons as the bees knees!
I am wondering if there are any Australian Fords that would be a suitable donor.
Any info would be of great assistance.

Offline lonniguy

• L Plates
Rear Disc Conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 09:58:44 pm »
I replaced the original dif with a 9'' from a xb coupe with disc brakes. The falcon diff is slightly wider but I was happy with this as running 14 x 8'' rims and radial tyres I still have clearance under the gaurds but avoid the under sized look from having a half acre of space

Offline mustang69

• P Plates
Rear Disc Conversion
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 05:16:21 pm »
Thanks For That.
I had been told that XB /XC were good donors.
I was hoping to retain my existing 9" and just add the bolt on parts.
Do the calipers on your XB brakes have a mounting plate bolted between the axle flange and the housing or is the mount welded to the diff end housing?
I have also heard that the ZL / ZK Fairlane are other possible subjects. Did you hear that when you did your homework?
I have been told that the mustangs wheel bolt flange (where the wheel bolts are) projects almost an inch further from the axle mounting flange than the same for the XB / XC.
Had you heard this?
Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Offline Pete

• Worked
Rear Disc Conversion
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 07:23:58 pm »
There is a bolt on kit available which uses the original hand brake cables etc. It works well. Trevor Pavert is locared in Victoria ph.0418 599 625

Offline Phantom

• P Plates
Rear Disc Conversion
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 11:13:32 am »
Pardon me for questioning the grand advice of Mr Pete but I spoke to Trevor today and he has moved on and is no longer in the business of Mustang disc brake conversion
BUT
he suggests you suss out Eagle Spares or RRS as they may have something around what you are looking for.