66 rewire sugestions

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66 rewire sugestions  (Read 2615 times)

Offline haro2741

• P Plates
66 rewire sugestions
« on: October 08, 2011, 10:52:03 pm »
Hi Guys
I have a 66 coupe that is having some brake light issues, they are not working and there seems to be a few other electrical issues going on.

My question is , is there someone you can recomend that can rewire or sort out mustang electricals in Melbourne?

Also does anyone no what the cost would be to have a complete rewire done?

Cheers
Justin

Offline drmorbius

• Stallion
66 rewire sugestions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 07:38:15 am »
Hi Justin,

Welcome to the forum.  I also have issues with my 66 coupe wiring and have decided to rewire it myself by purchasing a wiring harness.

Mind you, I have not done a rewire before, so I'm talking theory here... there are much more experienced people on the forum than myself who may offer better advice.

The research I have done suggests that if you're mildly handy and careful, it's not that hard to do. A harness made for a 1966 starts at around US$650 and up. Alternatively, you can get universal harnesses (not made for a specific car) starting at around US$200.

The issue with a universal loom is that you need to cut it to length and solder connectors... not to mention that it would not match wiring colours, so it would not be appropriate for a concourse car.

Anyway, that's my AUD$0.02 worth.  I'll be interested in following this thread to see how you go.

cheers -- randall
Follow my adventures on Restoring a 66 Mustang

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
66 rewire sugestions
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:11:49 am »
Justin,
You can get a refurbished loom from Midlife Harness Restorations in the USA.
He has sent quite a few looms to australia.
I will dig up his contact details for you.
Steve
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline haro2741

• P Plates
66 rewire sugestions
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 09:51:21 am »
Thanks guys I appreciate  the welcome.

Yes I had a look at those new mustang looms from the states and watched a few youtube vidios, doesnt look to hard, perhaps didnt like cutting out those holes in the firewall though.

I have rather not gone to this extent, just every time I seem to solve one problem a new one starts up.

originaly i thought the issue could just have been the brake switch, but once I replaced it , it got very hot and started to melt wires!

I have been told that if you indicator switch is a bit dodgy this can affect alot of things?

Has anyone had someone do a rewire here in Melbourne?

Offline haro2741

• P Plates
66 rewire sugestions
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 10:02:38 am »
Thanks guys I appreciate  the welcome.

Yes I had a look at those new mustang looms from the states and watched a few youtube vidios, doesnt look to hard, perhaps didnt like cutting out those holes in the firewall though.

I have rather not gone to this extent, just every time I seem to solve one problem a new one starts up.

originaly i thought the issue could just have been the brake switch, but once I replaced it , it got very hot and started to melt wires!

I have been told that if you indicator switch is a bit dodgy this can affect alot of things?

Has anyone had someone do a rewire here in Melbourne?

Offline A67PNY

• Worked
66 rewire sugestions
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 10:47:15 am »
Harro Haro.
Welcome. You could try JP Preston auto elect.in Reservoir
Old school electrician and has done quite a few show cars.
Cheers............

Offline scedd1

• Worked
  • Name: Steve
  • Car: 68 Coupe - Frankenstang
66 rewire sugestions
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:31:40 pm »
Justin, heres some advice from Randy at Midlife Harness Restoration.
I sent him a PM (u2u) on the Stangfix forum with a link to this post

"I can't reply directly to the thread as I have no login account.  He has a problem with the turn signal switch, which often goes bad and shorts out.  What's worse is that the switch has rivet heads on the back of the switch and they can contact the steering column base (ground!), which can cause shorts, as the OP indicated.  His first step should be to swap out the turn signal switch, tape the rivet heads with black electrical tape.  If that doesn't fix things, I'd be more than happy to work on his loom."
.  ____________
./____________ \.
 ( ]]] _ _ O _ _ [[[ )
\_ o _ _____ _ o _/
 |___|            |___|

Offline haro2741

• P Plates
66 rewire sugestions
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 02:42:42 pm »
Great thanks for going to that trouble, I will try that first.
Has anyone had similar problems?

Offline haro2741

• P Plates
66 rewire sugestions
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 04:35:13 pm »
Hi Guys
Just an update on this thread. I replaced the turn switch in the steering wheel and seemed to fix some of the issues. A few stange things did start to happen the main being the flash didnt seem to be running so smooth , but did run better when the car was running.
I am guessing that there are grounding isues with the car.
Also I am wondering if the flasher can has something to do with this?

Cheers
Justin