door alignment

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: door alignment  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Sally

• Worked
  • Name: Chris, Sally
door alignment
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:41:39 pm »
Hi  I need some advice on how to re-align car doors and fenders

I seem to get the doors lined up but they need some fine adjustment re: the bottom needs to go in and the top needs to come out so where do I start.
If I get all the gaps right they still seem to be a bit out not a lot but just a fraction
what is the correct gap?
which bolts do I undo to make the changes?
top or bottom hinges?
any help wold be greatly appreciated
Chris

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
door alignment
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:07:30 am »

This is a hard one. Mustang panels never lined up very well from the factory.

The rule of thumb is to start at the back of a car and work forward.

First question - did you rebuild the hinges? If the hinge pins are worn, every time you make an adjustment it will change when you close the door.

Here is how i used to do it.

Firstly, remove the lock striker plate from the door jamb. These are for the locking only and should not be used to support the door.

Fit the hinges to the door, using the old marks around the hinges so that they are in the correct location.

Place some shims/ packers about 4-5mm on the rocker panel where the door will sit. Will help to support the door and provide the correct gap.

Place the door in position with the aid of a helper. Locate the hinge studs through the side panel and fit the nuts, but not too tightly. Swear and curse as you adjust the door hinges to obtain about an even 4mm gap where the door meets the rear quarter panel, and about the same gap at the bottom of the door. Once you are happy with both gaps tighten the nuts.

Note at the above stage the front guard should not be on the car.

Next, adjust the in/out position of the door by loosening  the bolts where the hinge meets the door. Adjust in or out as required and retighten bolts.

Refit the striker plate after all door adjustments are done, then adjust striker plate for smooth operation of lock - ensuring that striker plate is not supporting the door.

Hope this helps.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline Sally

• Worked
  • Name: Chris, Sally
door alignment
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:01:45 pm »
Thanks Rocket have been trying to do exactly as you said but as soon as I get one side right(gaps etc) when I retighten the bolt it seems to pull the door up but I will persevere with it and will check the hinges although they seemed OK when I took them off.  This is just a temporary fix while the rear quaters are being welded in place then I will have to remove the doors again so I guess when I go to refit them hopefully it will be easier the second time around lol
Cheers    Chris