1970 Boss 302

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1970 Boss 302  (Read 4369 times)

Offline rocket1466

• L Plates
1970 Boss 302
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:56:30 pm »
Hi fellow Mustang owners. I have only today joined the club and would like some feedback or member advice on my second Mustang that i have just imported. It is a matching numbers, Marti confirmed original Boss 302 in yellow with black. It is a very original car but being 41 years old in need of a full resto. it has multiple scratches, bumps and bruises, some minor rust and a tired interior, i.e it is in no way a pig, just a genuine original 40 year example of these classic vehicles. What a blast this car is and i cannot believe these were a legal street car!! My question is - Do i spend $30 - $40 grand giving it a full restomod or just leave it as it is?? Some people are telling me to touch nothing as its value is in the fact that it is original, whilst others are telling me to restomod it as that will increase its value and collectability? I landed the car "as is" in Australia for around $48k, so would then owe mid $80k resto'd What to do????

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
1970 Boss 302
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:39:47 pm »
Hi and welcome rocket 1466. What a great car. The question is not easy one to answer as it is highly personal and subjective. Objectively, from the point of view that you have an original condition matching #s Boss 302, the term "restomod" is pure sacrilege. No offence but that implies upgrading and modernsiing it. You'd be better off selling it as is to someone and getting a 1970 fastback to do a restomod on. If you just wanted to "restore" it, then that's where the fun and arguments begin. To what level? Personally I'd prefer a decent driver condition to a full on concours resto any day but that's just me. Either way you have a valubale and historic vehicle congrats and enjoy it, and most of all drive it!

If you do go the whole hog and do a full blown resto on it I don't think you'll lose money on it, as it is a special car and should retain its value if done right. The other school of thought to a resto says that "they are only original once" and don't promote restoring them. Do you want a show car or driver? That's the starting point IMO. This is just my 2c worth, either way it's your car and as long as you're happy with it that's all that matters.

Sean from Bosskraft would be a good source of info and advice for you on the resto of a Boss. Very best of luck with it all and how about some pics!!!
Rick

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
1970 Boss 302
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:14:01 pm »
Clean it, drive it, enjoy it....

Offline MustangMedic

• Worked
1970 Boss 302
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 04:26:46 pm »
+ 2,
They built them once, your call, you going to show it or drive it!!! As stated Sean is the man....
Cheers,
Medic
Always work smarter not harder....

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
1970 Boss 302
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 05:19:39 pm »
If it's roadworthy, just tidy it up as much as you can and go cruisin'.
There are not too many Ponies that are original/unrestored running around now.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
1970 Boss 302
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:49:58 pm »
Congrats on the Boss. If you are going to resto it go to original, don't put any modifications on it as it will be worth more as an original. Also get a copy of  Don Farr's Boss 302 book if you havn't got it already. He has just released a new version.

Offline johnny_b

• Worked
1970 Boss 302
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 07:45:52 pm »
You have to ask yourself, am I a Mustang enthusiast who will spend whatever it takes to have a Classic to preserve, drive and admire whenever I want, or an amateur importer looking to make a dollar.......
Real AUSSIES use a Knife and Fork.