Owned in the USA for a year - now bringing back to melbourne.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Owned in the USA for a year - now bringing back to melbourne.  (Read 2332 times)

Offline g0liath01

• L Plates
Hi All,

I've owned a 2006 Mustang GT in California for over a year now. I'm coming back home to melbourne and I'd like to bring my car with me and probably sell it when I'm back.

Difference between this and many posts I can find on this board:
- I've already owned and driven the car for a year
- It's a 2006 - so I think I may have to get it converted.. Although I heard that as I've owned and used it for a year this may not apply?

What things do I need to take into consideration?

I know this could be a complicated process with customs etc and I'd be happy to pay a professional to take care of this for me.
Although if its much easier because I've already owned it for a year - i don't want to pay for something straightforward.

Can anyone recommend a good importer or freight company that can help with this in Melbourne?

Do I need to use them having already owned the car?

Thanks!

Offline Cage

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:54:42 pm »
I would definately use a qualified broker at this end to handle all your approvals etc. I am not sure of the RHD conversion, I am guessing however that you may need to get it done but what I do know is that you should have no problem getting approval to actual import it into the country as you have owned the car for over 12 months and are coming back to Australia to live. You must be coming back to live however as you have mentioned you are coming back so I am guessing this is for good.

Offline dalex

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:06:09 pm »
Have a read here, http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/index.aspx

A personal import is fine, however you will have to convert it and that will cost you more than the car did, plus there is plenty of other costs.

One other thing to consider is persistent rumours that the 2014 Mustang may find itself down under. These will be expensive, but may undermine the value of a 2006. Not trying to deter you, just putting the black hat on today. Welcome to the forum.

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:16:50 pm »
From what I have read and heard around the place, you can drive a post 89 imported vehicle for only 6 months without it converted.

I agree that if the mustang hits our shores its going to hit the 00's to 13's hard as the rhd versions I would believe will be selling for around half the price of a converted car.

Good luck with the decision, its a tough one

Offline Xrayman

• Worked
  • Fatigued - sick of overtime
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:28:47 pm »
there is a very small filler blurb in the Sept issue of Wheels magazine which says the mustang is NOT coming to AUS :(
Aaron

what is essential is invisible to the eye

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »
Yes, it only appears that car mag;s are talking up a Mustang here.  I'm yet to find a publication from Ford unless someone has seen one?