Newbie import question

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Newbie import question  (Read 2544 times)

Offline dools

• L Plates
Newbie import question
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:13:08 am »
Hi all, firstly apologies for the dumb question, I am currently working in Detroit, I have 2 cars to bring home perhaps early next year or at the end of next year, a 65 convertible 289 mustang and a 72 chevelle that i probably shouldn't talk about here. At this point i am leaning towards Ro/Ro out of Baltimore as opposed to shipping from the west coast (road tpt of 850 km verses road tpt of 3700km).

I will be in Melbourne by the time cars hit the port, is it really necessary to use a broker or can i do customs and AQIS stuff myself. I have had dealings with AQIS and understand the rules.

I am looking at CAREX shipping, I only need to ship the two cars as work pays for my other goods, they have quoted $2050 per car or $4700 for both in a container, price includes pickup in Detroit delivered to Melbourne port.

This is obviously a little out of the ordinary as I have been here for 20 months so many of the aust govt rules don't apply and most guys ship from the west coast. One car is titled to me, the other to my wife.

Any advice that can be provided would be great, if I need a broker, i am after a good one, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Cheers
Dools

Offline dalex

• Worked
Newbie import question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:46:09 am »
Hi Dools and welcome.

I would go with a container option with two. You should be able to see them all loaded and tied down locally in the container and rail freight to whatever port you choose.

As for customs brokerage I used Frank from Dominion Freight which is right near Tullamarine and he was very switched on.

frank@dominionfreight.com

(03) 9338 8555

Good thinking on having a car in each name as that saves GST, be careful with the VSB10 form 09 as you have to fill out part 10.

PS: If you decide on a road trip to the West Coast there may be some volunteers to help on here.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Newbie import question
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:03:07 am »
I also used Frank at Dominion & cant recommend him highly enough. Well worth the few extra dollers.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Newbie import question
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 08:42:59 am »
Quote from: dools link=topic=15373.msg154538#msg154538
At this point i am leaning towards Ro/Ro out of Baltimore

You may want to reconsider RO RO. I'm stealing Frank70's post from another forum - an extensively damaged vehicle shipped roll on roll off.

To be fair, I don't know what could also happen in a container if a car broke loose.

Rick

Offline SXTY8

• Worked
Newbie import question
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:10:14 pm »
One difference with roro is that nothing is allowed in the cars.
If you share a container you can fill the cars up with as much as you like.
If you hire your own container you can put anything in it.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Rick