66 Vert - Restomod - pic update

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 66 Vert - Restomod - pic update  (Read 8619 times)

Offline Busiboy

• Pony
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:18:52 pm »
Hi guys,

Without further delay, here is the new toy, picked up on Saturday, probably didn't do a heap of things I should have before I bought it. Have a few bits and pieces to do to finish it off but it starts and drives without issue, more formalities than anything else.

The 5.0L EB (?) V8 with auto tranny and aftermarket ECU

Inner guards have been straightened out by previous owners

Interior has been retrimmed

The ugly as sin dash

The drop tank and partial of the underside

Tidy tail on it

Offline Trans-Am

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:33:29 pm »
Hi Busiboy,

:welcome:...Aboard.

I can't really see too well in both the engine bay images, however there seems to be the 'Export Brace' missing from the shock towers to the top of the firewall?

If so, and due to the 5.0 litre's inlet manifold design, you will definately have to fabricate a brace (or purchase one off the shelf) to stop the flex and movement of the shock towers, which is extremely important in these type of cars.

Cheers,

Trans-Am:cool:

Offline Busiboy

• Pony
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:44:04 pm »
Thanks Trans-Am

You spotted well, it doesn't have the export brace, I wasn't too worried about it but now under advice I'll move it up the list a bit.

I needd to get it up on a hoist so I can have a real good look at it but current plans are;

Register it
Paint underside to look pretty (low budget highish impact :D )
Do something about that dash, thinking of painting it for now and worrying about it later
Spot spray bits that have been missed (inside of the window pillar etc)
Seat belts
Baby capsule restraint :D
Polish fuel tank
Steering wheel - came with a GT wheel in the boot, use this in the interim and then wood in the future

then drive it, was thinking of an electronic vintage looking dash, but funds are starting to get squeezed for a while.

Keep the advice flowing :D

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 03:04:46 pm »
You may not get rego without a brace under that hood!
Good luck , nice starting point for a cool cruiser.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 06:11:29 pm »
Welcome, its a nice clean looking car

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:15:17 pm »
Hmmm, someone has removed the mounts for the original braces, which were welded to the back of the shock towers.

So the way ahead is to fit an aftermarket export brace.

Suggest taking the car to your local Mustang parts supplier and see if the brace will fit before purchasing. Will either just clear or foul on the fuel injection intake. Might be why the PO didn't fit one, but it's an important item.

To fit an aftermarket brace, the front of the car usually has to be jacked up to flex it into position.

Offline Busiboy

• Pony
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:13:57 am »
So I had a good amount of time yesterday going over the car, a bit more work in some places than I expected but nothing too bad. A bit of cancer I hadn't spotted previously, a couple of other things but nothing too bad. Body is still A1 condition, bit of floor and boot issues, no worries. I'll keep you all updated but hoping to have her on the road before Christmas.

Offline Busiboy

• Pony
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:40:06 pm »
I was optimistic wasn't I, well I didn't take into account how much time newborns take up in regards to a car build. So we welcomed Elijah to our world in early November and not quite got as much done on the car as I had hoped. The simple jobs have all turned into a more time consuming exercise as things weren't quite right and I have been taking the time to fix all the little things as we go.  

I got some rust fixed near the rear spring hanger, the panel beater chaser it out with a grinder and plated it all up nicely, wasn't a huge amount so wasnt a huge cost.

I've pulled the dash out to try and sort the electrics which work but are just all over the place, being converted both to right hand drive and a efi engine all tied into the loom it's hit and miss and a lot of good luck finding things.

I've sorted a few things out, the wipers weren't working and now are, still trying to sort the demister which is a rego issue, it appears to be wired up, but the switch isn't plugged into the loom and I can't find where it should go :banghead:

I've got the Shelby brace for the engine bay, but when they straightened the engine bay they just replayed the whole thing, now an export brace won't fit as the place on the fire wall where it sits doesn't exist now. I have metal working friend that may have to build a custom export styled brace to do the job.

I've got rear seatbelts in, a small challenge. I've tidied up a lot of things along the way, got the radiator recorded but now it doesn't fit anymore as the mounts were moved too much, o it has to go back.

Been eventfully and fun frustrating rewarding challenging, but nothing too hard.

Offline Busiboy

• Pony
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:52:24 pm »
As pics are always more fun to look at then my dribble, please allow my indulgence in some update shots.

Priorities :D

panel protector by Shottphotos, on Flickr

I spent a day pulling these out and putting them back in panel beating them and putting them together properly, looks like the last phase of this cars build by previous owners was a bit rushed and things weren't finished properly. Its ok, thats easy enough for me, I get to pull it apart and put it back together touching up as I go, just time consuming more than anything else.

rear seat upholstory by Shottphotos, on Flickr

I pulled the dash out to chase the electrics, it needed to come out anyway for fit the speedo cable, not sure what I am going to get to fit form my late model tranny to the custom speedo.

Dash out by Shottphotos, on Flickr

new fuel cap, I tried to keep it a bit tame :)

New fuel cap by Shottphotos, on Flickr

Boot before

Boot pre floor by Shottphotos, on Flickr

and after, sort of, a mate trimmed some MDF for me for the boot, we decided to stuff around with everything else to finalise it before fitting the carpet, these are now considered the stencils and aren't quite finished.

Boot Floor by Shottphotos, on Flickr

I had to fit some seat belts to keep the minister for finance and war happy. also considering we wish to take our young son out in the future it seemed a worthy upgrade.

New seatbelt by Shottphotos, on Flickr

A problem, the engine bay has had a new skin installed to smooth out all the RHD conversion and other imperfections, consequently fitting a normal export brace will be an issue I think, Looking at custom options currently unless someone has any other suggestions.

Firewall profile by Shottphotos, on Flickr

One of the little jobs done inbetween others while waiting for stuff or thinking, drinking beer etc.

Colour engine plate by Shottphotos, on Flickr

one of the afore mentioned rush jobs, I had to work out I didn't have the brackets and then source and fit them, not a big job, but a job none the less

GT light bracket install by Shottphotos, on Flickr

Radiator needs re-coring, I have it back but they moved the mounts and now it doesn't fit anymore, considering an upgrade anyway . . . .

sans radiator by Shottphotos, on Flickr

the engine

Engine by Shottphotos, on Flickr

gratuitous shot after I washed it

ePC100302 by Shottphotos, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed.

Offline Busiboy

• Pony
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 08:54:29 pm »
Mods, getting the feel for the place now I realise this should have been in the resto mod section, if you could move it for me that would be great.

Offline Busiboy

• Pony
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 05:31:54 pm »
So the export brace is shaping up to be an issue, asked around a bit and not getting many answers, been put onto a bloke who does a bit of custom fab stuff. Hoping it doesn't break the bank.

Also found out my radiator is apparently out of torana, the radiator guy said it should ope easily with the engines requirements.

Offline Busiboy

• Pony
Re: 66 Vert - Restomod - pic update
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 03:17:38 pm »
So it's been a while, but it's on a trailer to get the engine bay bracing done.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 03:41:31 pm »
Good to see you are still onto it. Good luck with the brace issue.

Offline smackdownz

• Mr Pony
  • Stallion
  • Name: Jai
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 08:47:14 pm »
Beautiful looking vert mate!

Offline 66vert

• Worked
  • Name: Louis
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:14:29 pm »
Well done looks good, but like trans am said you'll need to brace the engine bay. :thumb:

Offline efi Coupe

• Stallion
  • Welcome to the Mustang Forum
  • Name: Dave
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 11:12:23 pm »
Hi Mate,
Try one of these :
http://www.mustangdepot.com/onlineca.../SS-6570EB.jpg

Cheers
Dave