compression ratio?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: compression ratio?  (Read 2984 times)

Offline lonniguy

• L Plates
compression ratio?
« on: September 24, 2005, 07:41:33 pm »
currently rebuilding big block 428 cj. What comp. can I run? (factory is 10.5) Have had suggested that I buy the stock pistons and have the tops of them machined to reduce comp. to run on pulp fuels. Has anyone done this that you know of ...or do you know of alternative pistons to buy?

Offline 2233

• Blue Printed
compression ratio?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 08:36:55 pm »
I run 10.2 comp on 98 octane all day every day!

Offline 66ccode

• Stallion
compression ratio?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 08:17:50 am »
I've never liked the idea of machining pistons. You just dont know what stresses you are introducing, or what sort of strength you will have. Especially if you a worried about pre detonation.
As echo says, run the stock compression and always use 98 ron (I've heard rumors that mobil 8000 is better than Optimax).
Get the car dyno tuned so that you are sure your not getting pinking, and you will be fine.
Iv'e also heard of people using two head gaskets together, or a thicker head gasket to reduce comp.

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
compression ratio?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 12:23:02 pm »
66ccode

I have heard that the Mobil 8000 and Shell Optimax are the same fuel as they both come out of the same refinery.
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!