planning a USA east to west roadtrip!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: planning a USA east to west roadtrip!  (Read 994 times)

Offline 6pakdave

• Thoroughbred
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:20:15 am »
Looking to drive a USA east to west roadtrip next year in April. Plan is to buy and drive over a month-6weeks or so.
 Prob starting at Carlyle PA to Calif. If you have done any road trips, id like any info on any car stuff,best road scenery, motels etc around that time of year eg NASCAR?,etc  [and some wifey stuff] to best plan the most out of our trip.
 Not sure weather to go as far south as Florida or head west from North Carolina via Tennessee,Arkansas,Oaklahoma to Arizona,Nevada,CA.

Experiences count, so if you have some 'must see', good, and not so good experiences or suggestions Id really appreciate it!

cheers Dave

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 01:44:15 pm »
I did a small portion of route 66 earlier this year from California through to the Grand Canyon, particularly the old portion of route 66 between Kingman and Williams. That was a great part of our holiday. From our own experience in only 3 weeks the must sees were:

Grand Canyon
Yosemite
Las Vegas (particularly Fremont Street at night, the outlets for shopping at some amazing prices and Shelby American which give free tours every morning Mon - Fri - look them up on the net)
San Francisco (Alcatraz, Cable Cars, Fishermans Warf, Golden Gate Bridge)
Monterey
Santa Monica (Beaches, Promenade)
The drive up along the coast on the Pacific Coast Highway from LA to San Francisco was great (or you can come down from SF to LA)
And if you are taking kids then of course Disneyland and the California Adventure Park in Anaheim.

While over there I took pics of as many Mustangs as I could find and posted them in the thread below

http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14416#pid146849