C6 Trans .... dead?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: C6 Trans .... dead?  (Read 3258 times)

Offline 40thh

• Pony
C6 Trans .... dead?
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:32:23 pm »
Open to suggestions before I pull the C6 trans from my '67.

Getting to the back end of a resto mod build up, 428cid and C6 from a Thunderbird transplanted into a Mustang.  Have added a B& deep pan with associated pick up, filter, etc.  New 'F' grade ATF also put through the trans, although old fluid looked clean and internal looked good when changing pan over.

Driveline worked fine 12 months back when first acquired, and after sitting around for a while it's been fine driving in/out of the shed.

For some reason the trans has lost drive in all gears, and there is no fluid flow through the cooling circuit.

Intend to drop the pan shortly to look for anything obvious, but thought I'd throw the question out to any C6 gurus who might know of an obvious problem to check out.

I was thinking of a stuck check valve or dead pump .... but any opinions welcomed.

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
C6 Trans .... dead?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:46:38 am »
Quote from: 40thh link=topic=14904.msg150635#msg150635
Open to suggestions before I pull the C6 trans from my '67.

Getting to the back end of a resto mod build up, 428cid and C6 from a Thunderbird transplanted into a Mustang.  Have added a B& deep pan with associated pick up, filter, etc.  New 'F' grade ATF also put through the trans, although old fluid looked clean and internal looked good when changing pan over.

Driveline worked fine 12 months back when first acquired, and after sitting around for a while it's been fine driving in/out of the shed.

For some reason the trans has lost drive in all gears, and there is no fluid flow through the cooling circuit.

Intend to drop the pan shortly to look for anything obvious, but thought I'd throw the question out to any C6 gurus who might know of an obvious problem to check out.

I was thinking of a stuck check valve or dead pump .... but any opinions welcomed.

Sounds like a crook pump.  I had  a similar problem with my C6 and ended up being crook pump.

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
C6 Trans .... dead?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:52:15 am »
Did the problem only occur after fitting the new pan? Had the same problem. Try adding a couple more litres of fluid & recheck. Ignore the level on dipstick. It's worth the shot before pulling trans out!