For the serious users.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: For the serious users.  (Read 3254 times)

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
For the serious users.
« on: May 16, 2007, 11:53:32 am »
I now think Vista is great.

The problems are slowly working out and most software and hardware manufacturers are now bringing out compatible versions for Vista.

The way I see it, you should use Vista especially on a new computer afterall it will be around now for some time, don't forget XP was around for about 6 years.

But seriously you will need a new age computer to handle it, Core 2 Duo or at least Core Duo with a minimum of 512 Megabyte of DDR2 Ram, preferably 1 Gigabyte.

I've installed Vista on about 16 computers to date and supplied about 6 laptops all without dramas recently allthough I would recommend that you bypass Vista Home Basic for any other version, Business, Ultimate or Extreme, with Extreme being the best. :o
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Offline johnpony

• Thoroughbred
For the serious users.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 03:17:48 pm »
Hey pete you are the only person ive heard of who actually recomends and likes vista.

I know my PC can handle it [custom ANTEC with MSI K9N, AMD X2 4200+ , 2x1GB DDR2 RAM and leadtek 6600GT ] but I also have a ACER 3503w Laptop with a 1.5 ghz processer with piss poor ram it prob won't handle the vista all that well .

So might wait till next year when i upgrade the laptop before i jump on the vista bandwagon.

Also will prob be a hell of a lot cheaper by next year which is more money i can spend on the mustang.

Cheers John Pony.
Enjoy The Ride.    John Pony

2007 GT Tungsten Grey Premium Coupe. Auto.
IUP, Charcoal Aluminium Interior, Comfort Group, GT Apperance Package, Polished Exhaust Tips, 17" Polished Bullits, Hood Scoop, Shaker 1000, Shorty Antenna, Silver Racing Stripes, C&L CAI Predator Tune.

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
For the serious users.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 03:43:49 pm »
Vista poses massive problems with copying DVD's and CD's especially anything with copyright.

Vista doesn't like Any DVD a very popular program for cracking copyright and can have some seriouse problems with copying programs like Disk Juggler and Nero.

Also Gamers suffer badly, that $100 favourite game that you bought last year probably won't work under Vista.

Vista is a major step for Microsoft, Sony and other large publishing companies in controlling and eliminating copying of copyright material, that includes Movies, Music and Programs.

So if any of the above relate to your computer use then Vista is not for you at the moment, but if the above does not relate to you then Vista is a good experience afterall Vista has become very Apple like, just ask an Apple user and they will confirm how good an Apple computer is.

So if Internet use, Office use ie: Word, Excel, Publisher etc. is your main use then Vista is great allthough you may have to upgrade your office package to Microsoft Office 2007.

Yes johnpony your AMD would kick butt under any operating system and would be a pleasure to use, but by the specs that you have outlined you have admitted to being a very serious gamer who demands lots of grunt, nice machine.

I personally prefer XP proffesional allthough I have a dual boot system with one hard drive running Vista Business, I do admit that I only have Vista running for the learning curve because of my customers.

Peterp
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Offline johnpony

• Thoroughbred
For the serious users.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 02:12:05 am »
Thanks for the advice Peter, not much of a gamer but i do like to have the power there if i need it. [kinda like my new mustang at 330hp]

More into multimedia downloads, P2P, Usenet. you know movies, tv shows and music.

Sounds like vista is not for me then, Ive been very happy with XP so Far.

Carry on the good work ,    John Pony
Enjoy The Ride.    John Pony

2007 GT Tungsten Grey Premium Coupe. Auto.
IUP, Charcoal Aluminium Interior, Comfort Group, GT Apperance Package, Polished Exhaust Tips, 17" Polished Bullits, Hood Scoop, Shaker 1000, Shorty Antenna, Silver Racing Stripes, C&L CAI Predator Tune.

Offline ron

• Worked
For the serious users.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:23:34 am »
Originally posted by peterp[

Also Gamers suffer badly, that $100 favourite game that you bought last year probably won't work under Vista.
Even though a new computer and Vista is a while away for me, you've got me worried. I can understand it not playing pirated games, but originals??!!  Can you explain why?
Money is made to be spent.

Offline Fast66

• Pony
For the serious users.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 03:18:06 pm »
Ive currently got Vista ultimate running just for the fact that most new games will use the DirectX10 and only vista can run that.

It was crap when it first came out since no one had published drivers for it yet so alot of the graphics cards werent working but now nVidia have released some nice drivers everything looks alright.

Only really old games arent working since its the same thing with the graphics cards, they were not designed for Vista and it is a completly different architecture to XP.

Vista just takes some time to get use to. Kind of like when XP first came out, it was quite a cosmetic upgrade and just need to be learned. But if you dont need Vista i wouldnt advise getting it until the first Service Pack comes out to get rid of some of the bugs.

Offline ron

• Worked
For the serious users.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 07:03:45 pm »
Cheers Fast, explains a lot. Geez Directx10 already, I'm still running 8. The only reason that I'm worried about Vista, is that eventualy my sons' (semi) private school will strongly but subtley insist that this must be installed at home and on the laptop.The eldest one is 9 and he's already doing some funky shoot with MS Word. And Daddy's still typing with one finger.:+
Money is made to be spent.

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
For the serious users.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 07:09:21 pm »
Ron
Join the club, my kids reckon old farts are only goog for Sunday car fun. Baskets ;};+