RRS negative Camber

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: RRS negative Camber  (Read 3833 times)

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
RRS negative Camber
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:42:59 pm »
Hi,

From what I've found so far with my wheel shopping the RRS front end does seem to change the track as the usual wheels everyone else seems to fit to a 67 sticks out of the guards on mine.

I did a bit of a rough check and it appears the guy who built my car somehow managed to get POSITIVE camber on the front!!!

How much negative camber do you guys with RRS struts run on the street?  

I figure that about -2.5 on my car will get most wheels to tuck in at the top but is that too much?

Offline Raven

• Worked
RRS negative Camber
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:41:58 pm »
Lukep6470

You can shift the lower control arm inwards to its maximum setting where the cam bolt is located. Then you can adjust your camber on the Macphurson strut. This will give you more clearance to the outer guard for you wheel tyre setup.
I cannot remember what the stock camber setup is for the 67. Ring Mathew at RRS about the camber setup, he should be able tell you the best setting.
What size wheels are you running? My car has 17/245 with no spacers. I have no clearance problems.

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
RRS negative Camber
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 06:56:49 pm »
That makes perfect sense, thanks!!

I've got 17x9 for the rear and 17x8 for the front in the chinese knock cobra style mags.

I tried ordering American Racing hopsters from Wheelboyz but they lost my order.

I'm going to try for 275 at the rear and 245 at the front.

Offline Raven

• Worked
RRS negative Camber
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:51:31 pm »
Ok a few things-
- Double check with your supplier about the offsets for the wheels.
- What size are your calipers? Will they clear.
- Talk to an engineer about compliance with the road authorities. You might need an engineer to sign off on them.
- The chineese wheels might not conform with ADR.
- The front 245 should be ok with a 4 inch backspace, again double check.
- The rear will fit a 17*9.5 rim with a 6 inch backspace. The tyre size  275/40. I have this setup on my car with the RRS three link. It is very tight with the tyre very close to the front part of the inner rear wheel well. With this setup you can centre the rear axle assembly and clearances with the watts link. Not to sure about the original leaf spring setup.

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
RRS negative Camber
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:30:22 am »
Quote from: Raven link=topic=14666.msg148729#msg148729
Ok a few things-
- Double check with your supplier about the offsets for the wheels.
- What size are your calipers? Will they clear.
- Talk to an engineer about compliance with the road authorities. You might need an engineer to sign off on them.
- The chineese wheels might not conform with ADR.
- The front 245 should be ok with a 4 inch backspace, again double check.
- The rear will fit a 17*9.5 rim with a 6 inch backspace. The tyre size  275/40. I have this setup on my car with the RRS three link. It is very tight with the tyre very close to the front part of the inner rear wheel well. With this setup you can centre the rear axle assembly and clearances with the watts link. Not to sure about the original leaf spring setup.

6in backspace with 3-link rear suspension? Whats the clearance between control arm and tyre? I have a 3-link with 5.25backspace and thats very close.

Offline lukep6470

• Worked
RRS negative Camber
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:14:14 pm »
The 17x9 clear no problem on the rear.

The 17x8 on the fron will clear once the camber is set correctly as the positive camber is sticking the tyre out at the top.

(I checked with a spirit level with the car on a dead level surface)

The car is fully blue plated with the RRS front end and the has the phase 2 brake kit installed so I need 15" or larger wheels.  The 17x8 clear everything no problem.

Offline Raven

• Worked
RRS negative Camber
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 10:35:50 pm »
I have about an inch and a half clearance from the tyre to the trailing arm. Good to hear the is no problems lukep6470.
Trying to resize the photos is bit of a pain.

Raven