It's here !!!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: It's here !!!  (Read 13321 times)

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« on: May 22, 2011, 06:49:53 pm »
Hi All - while I'm waiting for my car to arrive I thought I'd post a few pictures and a summary of what's happened to date.

Like some of you, I decided when I was about 5 that I wanted a Mustang and not just a Hot Wheels one  :smile02:.  Two years ago I figured the time was right so I started doing my homework.  I found this forum, lurked for a while and listened to all the advice that was being offered.  Ideally I would have liked to travel to the US to source my own car but work commitments made that impossible so I contacted Shermatt in Oct last year and started talking to Matt about what I wanted.

Matt and Sheri have been fantastic to deal with and I've known since that first conversation that I was in good hands.  I was after a 68 or 69 convertible as a weekend car, it didn't have to be a show car but I was definitely not after a project car either.  Sheri sent through some cars and they all looked good, apart from the purple one :sick: (Sorry Sheri, but it's just not my colour :smile02:) but nothing had jumped out and said "buy me".  Then Sheri sent through details on a 69 H Code that looked very nice in the photos and I thought that we'd found the car.  Matt and Sheri went to inspect it and unfortunately it didn't come anywhere close in real life to what was advertised.  Matt advised patience and said there were better options.  I was disappointed but reminded myself that this was why I was dealling with Shermatt to start with - Matt and Sheri were just as disappointed as I was.

Fortunately, not a lot of patience was required.  A week later and Sheri sent me details about a 68 S code.  I didn't realise at the time how unusual an S code convertible was (noob) just that it looked like a great car but was a little out of the price range I was looking for.  I did some more research and realised that this was a little special and agreed that an inspection was called for.  I spoke to Matt after the inspection wanting to know when he would be uploading the video so I could check it out only to find out that he'd bought the car and that if I didn't want it he was more than happy enough to keep it :smile02: (plus he'd negotiated the price down so it was back in my range - gotta love that :thumb:)

It's a numbers matching S Code manual that was originally Sea Foam Green but now Resale Red.  It's had a fair bit of work on the front end but judging by some of the restoration photos it was a fairly solid car to begin wiith.  Matt's happy with the quality of the repair work (no easy feat given what he's been doing with the Green Machine).  He organised some further repairs (front shocks, new roof and power top) and the import approval was processed in near record time so it was onto the truck heading for LA.

It's been a while getting here from LA - feels like it's sailed at least 5 of the seven seas but it's in Singapore at the moment and due here in two weeks so I'll probably have it in three - and that's when the grinning will start :smile01:

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:00:09 pm »
From the ad

and after the new top was fitted

and here's a video of Matt driving it because I nagged him to get a listen to the engine  :cool:

[youtube]0kW86bquBUI[/youtube]

Offline Chopper

• Thoroughbred
  • vic MOCA number 2177
It's here !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 07:58:41 pm »
Tidy set of Magnum 500 and bridgestone T/A,s you have there waz_j, i have had those fitted to mine also.
It was also that video that made me decide on what exhaust to fit it sounds Sweet
Post the link to satellite tracking so we can share you pain.
Chopper  
If life gives you lemons make lemonade

Offline dalex

• Worked
It's here !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 09:23:00 pm »
Nicely done, welcome to the red vert club, there is a few of us on here.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
It's here !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:38:08 pm »
Yes, very nice and welcome

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 11:16:37 pm »
Quote from: Chopper link=topic=14532.msg147967#msg147967
Tidy set of Magnum 500 and bridgestone T/A,s you have there waz_j, i have had those fitted to mine also.
It was also that video that made me decide on what exhaust to fit it sounds Sweet

Yours looks like it's coming along nicely, dummy spits and all :smile02:

Here's the tracking link - I think it will be onboard this ship when it leaves SG - that'll be the third ship it's travelled on :wacko:
Kota Lambang

Offline Mudzy

• Thoroughbred
  • 65-PONE
  • Name: David
It's here !!!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 04:50:54 am »
Very nice looking must very happy.
I to am waiting on my car to arrive. Hasn't left states yet :cry:
It seams to take for ever for things to get moving or are we just wanting our cars.
2 Doors 3 Pedals 4 Speeds =  Muscle car = 1965 A Code  Mustang Coupe

Offline kiwi69

• Thoroughbred
It's here !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:46:08 am »
Thats a sweet ride, sounds awesome!  Well done mate.:thumb:

Offline Chopper

• Thoroughbred
  • vic MOCA number 2177
It's here !!!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 07:28:24 pm »
Quote from: waz_j link=topic=14532.msg147992#msg147992

Yours looks like it's coming along nicely, dummy spits and all :smile02:

Here's the tracking link - I think it will be onboard this ship when it leaves SG - that'll be the third ship it's travelled on :wacko:
Kota Lambang

Looks like its on its way waz, i would have to check that link three times a day i could not help myself.:cool:

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:54:55 pm »
Not long now :smile01: it's currently passing Hinchinbrook Island!

That link I posted before doesn't work so I go to the main page for the ship and then click on the Lat/Long Map link about a third of the way down on the left - Kota Lambang.

Yes Chopper - I'm checking at least three times a day, bloody boat doesn't go fast enough :rol:

Offline Bumblebee

• Blue Printed
It's here !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:53:43 pm »
Looks fabulous, all the best and many happy miles of driving!

Cheers Bee
Cheers Bee

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 08:10:39 pm »
Well after being 7 weeks on the water, the ship has been doing figure eights off Botany Bay for the last two days. :banghead:  It doesn't look like the container will be offloaded until at least tomorrow afternoon so I think that leaves no chance I'll get the car before the long weekend :cry:

Offline Mudzy

• Thoroughbred
  • 65-PONE
  • Name: David
It's here !!!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 10:04:17 pm »
That sucks:tissue:
 mine is due to on the 21 of this month
2 Doors 3 Pedals 4 Speeds =  Muscle car = 1965 A Code  Mustang Coupe

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 12:02:46 am »
The captain must have heard me - he's just reached the dock now :smile02:

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 12:08:44 am »
Quote from: Mudzy link=topic=14532.msg149192#msg149192
That sucks:tissue:
 mine is due to on the 21 of this month

Thanks mudzy - I hope yours makes it here safe and on time.  It's a good looking car.

Offline mussy65

• Worked
    • http://nsw.mustang.org.au
  • Name: Phil
It's here !!!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 01:02:16 am »

Ahhh, another Red convertible in the HILLS!  Very strong area for Mustangs ... and other marques too :smile01:

Check out the Rattle n Hum show at Castle Hill RSL which I think is being held on 26 June (or thereabouts).  That might be a good day to make its debut?  Or, the run to Robertson amongst other ponies.  Main thing is, you will enjoy.

Nice looking car too, well done.

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 04:26:02 pm »
Well I was hoping that I might get the car this week but after the delays with the ship last weekend, now AQIS have decided that it's dirty and needs a clean.  So that just about screws any chance I had of getting the car this week. :cry:

They can't even tell me what exactly the issue is which I find very hard to understand - if you don't know what the problem is, how do you know if the cleaning team is going to fix it?  I've told them I want photos of the affected areas before and after cleaning but I'm not holding my breath on that.

It's probably leaked a few drops of oil and AQIS is worried it might be vegetable oil :shrug:

Offline rattusrex

• Worked
It's here !!!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 08:24:01 pm »
They tend to clean them whether they need it or not. Easy 350 bucks. It's all about revenue. Eddie
Click Image For Larger View

Offline Chopper

• Thoroughbred
  • vic MOCA number 2177
It's here !!!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 11:12:29 pm »
Join in the chorus was_j about contributing to the Christmas fund exercise of a $350 CAR WASH.:mad::banghead:
your frustrations will be all forgotten cruising the northern beaches in that chick magnet:cool:

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 09:32:09 pm »
Well I take it all back - here I was thinking that AQIS was just trying to drum up some revenue for the cleaning company as Eddie suggested but no! I received some photos today of the offending material and it's real!  AQIS found a dead leaf in the car and obviously that calls for the most stringent quarantine procedures  :rol::rol::rol:

I shouldn't pick on AQIS, they do a tough job well :thumb:

Here's a photo of the suspect

and something blurry and unidentified under the mat in the boot.

so it didn't get cleaned today so no car until next week and now Customs have got in the act and placed a hold on the car which I assume they want to inspect it (or possible take it for drive, not sure) and I've got no idea when they will be finished with it.  Hey Matt, did you remember to check the car for illegal immigrants before you shipped it? :rol::rol::rol:

Offline prlanger

• Thoroughbred
It's here !!!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 02:12:59 pm »
Nice looking car.
These are very few and far between.
I got my S code vert just over a year ago.

Nothing like a big block vert....

cheers.

Peter
68 GT S code vert
71 Mach 1 CJ 429

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
It's here !!!
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 12:44:40 am »
A big block verts is quite a rare car. Only a little over 300 made that werent turned into Shelbys and of the 300ish...I wonder how many still exist

Any updates???

:cool:

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 03:52:21 pm »
Nope - no updates and no car.  Don't know if it's still getting cleaned or if customs have it for checking or what.  Not getting a whole lot of love from the logistics people either - gave them a serve on Friday and apparently the problem isn't their failure to call me back when they promise and so on.  The problem appears to be my expectation that they will actually tell me what's going on and when I can have my car :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I don't know where the car is being stored but I hope either it's undercover or that the new roof is as watertight as a fish's bum.  We've had a shedload of rain over the weekend and I'm having nightmares about the interior being full of water :rain:

The garage is ready and waiting so nothing left to do but :drink:

Offline waz_j

• Pony
It's here !!!
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 06:44:03 pm »
Finally - AQIS are finished with it, Customs are finished with it and I'm picking it up tomorrow :cool:

Now the fun begins :rub:

Offline Dad

• Worked
It's here !!!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 06:48:55 pm »
Quote from: waz_j link=topic=14532.msg149814#msg149814
Finally - AQIS are finished with it, Customs are finished with it and I'm picking it up tomorrow :cool:

Now the fun begins :rub:

Good luck ! :burnout: