flo"RIDA" 65 A code mustang ute

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: flo"RIDA" 65 A code mustang ute  (Read 24075 times)

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« on: May 21, 2011, 11:33:54 pm »
Scotts :smile01: ute finally arrived a few weeks back. It sat around for a few days until I couldn’t help myself just staring at a blank canvas of a mustang. All sandblasted and ready to go.

I had the old mustang ute project that some of you may remember from way back but I gave up on it. Got all the front suspension in and finished off the interior and that’s where it laid for another 6 months until this one came along

I went down on a Saturday and re-blasted the car as it had a lot of surface rust on it and was only going paint the under chassis. I ended up metal finishing the engine bay to about 90% as it was hit in the top left hand corner on the inner fender and had a lot of creases. Thought I would rather salvage the original than put in a replacement one.

Spent a whole day on it and this is as far as I got

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:20:13 pm by peterp »

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 11:54:06 pm »
Last week I spent a few hours on the car fitting up all the suspension and the diff out of the other (donor) ute parked on stands out front.

We stripped the donor ute down to a shell and Sheri blasted all the parts in the blaster. Got them prepped and painted for a quick re-assembly. We sprayed rust converter under the dash and then painted it with red oxide. Still debating if I should use Rhino liner uner the dash or leave it red oxide at this stage

We sat the engine in there just to keep it out of the way. I still need to get back in the engine bay to finish of a few spots.

The rest of the pics are as the car sits now. Don’t know when Im going to get back to it at this stage but everything is there ready to go.

I think Im going a little over board on this ute. Ive nicknamed it floRIDA as in Flow rider as that’s what a friend of mine in Adelaide calls Florida. I think I have pretty well decided that Im going to paint it the worst colour in the world. A colour that I have despised since Ive seen it on any car. Its going to be a dark, deep metallic green. Similar to highland green on the 67/68. Were going with a sand/tan interior with a little black. Basically a 2 tone interior. Should look really nice as I had already done this in the donor ute.

The engine is a 347 with gear drive. Running a dual quad Ofenhauser tunnel ram. Should stick out the hood a few inches…maybe 7…lol

Anyway, heres the rest of the pics

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:21:51 pm by peterp »

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:20:30 am »
Thats coming along Matt...:thumb:

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:18:39 am »
Nice! I like the rear screen profile, recessed in the rear pillars.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:59:29 pm »
this might sound dum but did ford make a mustang ute or is this a custom made one?
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 04:53:44 am »
Quote from: shelby_mustro link=topic=14523.msg149247#msg149247
this might sound dum but did ford make a mustang ute or is this a custom made one?

Its built from a 65 "A" code coupe

Matt

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 12:49:19 pm »
Thought I would quickly do an update.

Got the brakes on, Yimmy the Tulip (the Swede from Texas) came down for 2 weeks and decided he wanted to help. Couldn’t say no to that. Hamered out the body work and cut up a spare 65 from out front as donar steel for a few areas.

Car is all lined up ready for some minor body work but it shouldn’t take but a day to get it ready for a final coat of primer, ready to rub down and paint

Inside the tray still needs a little work though. The bonnet is out of alignment in the pics but has since been lined up, sanded and primed

Hopefully find some time at the end of the month to get back into it

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:24:09 pm by peterp »

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 12:01:03 am »
Seems to be coming along well. Love your mates safety boots:thumb:

Are you fabricating a tail gate or just leaving it as it is?

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 12:30:14 pm »
Safety boots

Thats standard Florida workshop apparel in summer....God its hot.

No, were not doing a tailgate. leaving it as is

Still in the air on the colour but Deep metalic green is still the go with the tan interior, tunnel ram and gear drive...not sure what to do about the bed just yet. Its taking some time with shaping it properly

debating about cloning as a GT

Matt

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:49:21 pm »
I like it.  I know i couldn't survive without my current ute.  :thumb:

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 02:14:59 pm »
Quote from: Macka link=topic=14523.msg150153#msg150153
I like it.  I know i couldn't survive without my current ute.  :thumb:

Likewise! Can't beat a ute for a daily.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 07:57:51 pm »
We will be looking for a Ute in the next 12 months or so... I was thinking of a Ranchero of some description, or even converting my F150 back into a street car, and getting a Mud Runner straight from the US, for my Monster Truck fix....

Maybe let us know if this comes up for sale Matt?
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 11:08:32 pm »
were keeping this one Steph. May take a few years to get it built, but it should look nice when its done

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 11:08:53 pm »
Well unfortunately this old T code was in need of some PLASMA attention. Everything on the car that previously repaired was done by a backyard guru who watched way to much Overhaulin. The mustang 2 disc brake front end was welded in a good 2” outa wack and way off centre from left and right…was one of the only things worth saving

We cut the arse end off to make a wall mount. Had intended to make a couch but the Swede cut out the rear lower quarter to donate to the ute so wall mount it is

For those that ever wondered what the best way to take off the chrome on the gutters with out damageing it….well, belive it not a can opener would probably be the last thing you think of but it happens to be the best way of taking it off with no damage.

I use a wooden paint stirrer placed on the chrome so the opener doesn’t make any marks and then you just hook the opener under the lip of the chrome every few inches and compress very gently lifting the chrome away from the rail…..I start at the front working my way to the rear window. When you get near the rear window corner, I stop and start from the rear bottom working my way to the top corner as it’s a tight bend.

Once you get to the corner, I use a little extra care….two or three compress’s and whala!!..its off with no damage…thought I would share that with ya as its one of those things that is probably irrelevant to some but helpful for others…took some pics for you aswell so you can see how its done

With the car finally cut up and out of our way, I tacked up a few spots in the floor pan and went onto the body work

With Johns 68 out for the roof and the weather outside looking like rain, I decided to bead blast and rebuild the heater box out of the 2 I had floating around. I had to use 2 in order to make one, but that’s how it rolls. The door on one was toast but the case was in great shape.

I cut the pop rivets off of both door’s and swapped them over. I had to find a way to re attach the door where the rivets were so I used small bolts with some lock tight then cut off the excess thread. When you do this, you have to make sure the flap on the inside moves freely…in this case it didn’t, so I hit it with a die grinder and cut a cemi circle groove where the rounded bolt head (from the door) was interfering with the internal steel flap.

For those that want to paint the heater box when doing this….DONT!!....use black shoe polish and polish it like a pair of shoes….works a treat. Paint will eventually flake off unless your heater box is porous and you only give it a dust coat of black to get an even blackness

After blasting and painting all the pieces, a new seal kit added and a FULL day…..its done. Wouldn’t believe such a small item would take that long but it does. Mainly waiting for paint to dry but still. Imagine paying someone $65 an hour to restore your heater box…WTF!! 

Its Saturday today and Im trying to get motivated to go down to work on it but After reading a few threads on mustang forums, Im torn between the colour now.

Originally I was going with a (BMW) deep metallic dark green (similar to Highland green but more silver metalic) with a tan (more camel) interior. The tan interior is a keeper as I already have it but Sheri is stuck on that candy apple red colour from the house of colours.

So Im thinkin, dark green, dark green with Silver Shelby stripes or a deep candy apple sorta colour with gold Shelby stripes that may look nice with the tan/camel interior

I have one week to make up my mind

What do you think?

Matt
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:25:19 pm by peterp »

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 11:23:21 pm »
Candy apple with the gold Shelby stripes would look great. That would be my preference Matt.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 11:29:15 pm »
similar to this someone posted a while back

http://inventory.rk-motors.com/CarDetails_new_arrivals.asp?VIN=132351

Thats what gave me the red and gold dilema

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 04:14:02 am »
 Well its been a while since I had the time to update anything so I thought I would start with the mustang ute thread as there is less pictures and progress.

The 347 was taken out and a fuel injected five “O” installed with a nice little 5 speed. Swapped out the 8” for a cut down 9”. Changed out the exhaust from a factory GT style and went with a cut down twin system set up. Went from the 2005 GT rims to a set of 18 x 9 and 18 x 10 on the rear. Rolled the front and rear wheel arch lips and Sherm from Sunstate mustang gave me a half cut centre consol so I can run A/C with out cutting the full consol I originally had. Went from a standard hood to a GT350 style hood

I ended up going with a color that I have always wanted to do and is Sheri’s favourite color. A friend heard what I was building and wanted to be a part of it and decided to “Hook me up” for once 
Sent it out to him were he got started on the final stages of the body work. My back is so toasted, there is just no way I could of done it at the moment.

The pics below are of the car a week later after it has been long blocked. We went around the car for about an hour checking every single section by hand trying to find any high’s or low’s. Most of what we found were in the bed itself but we wanted to be sure as I wanted LASER straight.

The picture above is as I left it a week ago before we headed up to Vegas for SEMA. On Saturday I was sent the pictures below to my phone….yes, I went with House of color’s Candy Apple red with a gold base.

Still need to sort out the rear window and fab up some side windows. Intention is to slam it 2-3 inches all round and as for the bed floor, I haven’t got that far yet. Some say timber with stainless strips, chrome or black checker plate…I really need to see it all together before I can get an idea. Not fond of the chrome checker plate at this stage.
Hope you all like it so far.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:26:25 pm by peterp »

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 06:50:49 am »
That color is oarsum!:fantastic:
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 05:36:09 pm »
Timber bed for sure. Something deep and dark like Jarrah that we have here would look stunning against that colour!
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline Chopper

• Thoroughbred
  • vic MOCA number 2177
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 07:59:20 pm »
I think that colour was nearly maddys colour or befor deciding on lime gold , fantasic colour:cool:
If life gives you lemons make lemonade

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 10:12:59 pm »
Colour looks great, good choice

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 09:27:22 am »
Looking great Matt......been enjoying this thread, Keep up the hard work...the end is close:thumb:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 03:16:59 pm »
Been meaning to post some pics but too busy. 1st one is pick up day. 2nd is a coke fridge that the painter sold to me for $20. 3rd pic is as it sits now

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:26:43 pm by peterp »

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 08:52:58 pm »
Looking good in the colour!!
And nice score on the fridge too!

Pity your not in Melb, I could get the door glass done here.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 08:52:56 pm »
Love the old coke fridge in the workshop - oh and the Muzzie looks pretty awesome too.
IMG