67 Eleanor Re-Build: few little questions

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 67 Eleanor Re-Build: few little questions  (Read 6213 times)

Offline VEMALOO

• L Plates
« on: May 18, 2011, 04:50:45 pm »
Hey Guys... I'm new to both the world of Mustangs and this forum. Currently drive a 08 VE Maloo and I'm looking to build my dream car Eleanor. I know its been done and alot of purists hate it but its the way I'm going.

Just wanted to ask some general advice I'm going to be buying a RHD 67 FB for around 35 k.... wanting to know if anyone knew a general cost and a good place to source parts and services. I'm not looking to do the work myself just simply:

1. Buy Car
2. Buy Kit
3. Send car and Kit away to a professional
4. pick up car kit installed and painted.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:56:37 pm »
hi ve

ring steve at st marys smash he's the eleanor guy in syd
cheers tim
:drink:
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline VEMALOO

• L Plates
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:59:14 pm »
Cheers mate, Hopefully he can suggest someone here in adelaide

Offline fordtj69

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:18:04 pm »
hi
sorry i didn't know you were a crow eater :welcome:
cheers tim
:drink:
I will travel far for a car up and over the hill's to Clancy's at the bottom of the big mountain
member of the big dog car club

BDCC

Offline tq1

• Stallion
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:14:22 pm »
Hi the best advice is what ever budget you have in mind double it and add 10k.The body kit could be your down fall you will be looking at 5k to buy but some of these kits are a pain to install and take 3 times the man hrs to install than others,so if you are paying some one to install it you will be throwing good money away.Speak to the experts and make sure you get the best kit.Nothing is cheap when these cars are concerned but do it right and you will have one fine looking beast .    :useless:

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:51:41 pm »
Depending how far you want to take the Eleanor concept will play a big part in the final cost. You will want about 100k to do a decent Tribute & add how ever much depending on how many bells & whistles you want.

Mine owes me over 100 & its still not close to finished.

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:52:54 pm »
Gotta agree with (soc_au123) Steve. There is no such thing as a cheap Eleanor and the few that come in cheap have needed major, repeat major surgery, just to get to the point of adding on all the Eleanor stuff.
I can only say that at 35K, budget for probably around twice that again to get a presentable version.
To do it much cheaper would give you grief at a very early time in it's rebirth.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline tq1

• Stallion
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:14:44 pm »
Yes it pains me to say but mine will come in around 80 ish when completed and ive done 95% of the build.If i was paying some one to do the work god knows how much it would be. It realy depends how far you want to go reguarding your running gear.
Motor $1000 - $20000
after market suspension & steering $7000 diff , gearbox , clutch, wheels&tyres the list goes on .
The tradionalist dont like these cars so you need to do the build at a higher level to keep every one happy:smile01:
It really is a very aggresive looking car. It just costs money to get that look.My build was going to cost 30,000 and take 6 months. It now is more than double that cost wise, and the build is going on 4 yre.
However every time i open the garage door it still brings a sly grin to my mush.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:51:01 pm »
Basic cost break down.

Decent Fastback to start with (in your case 35k)

Quality E body kit allow 6.5k

Panel bond to glue E kit $800.00 (you can do it cheaper with Eurathane but I personaly wouldnt)

E light kit with 67 shelby tailamps 2k add for LED globes etc

Fabricate brackets for light kit about 6 hours (x that by the hourly rate of whoever does it) The light bars that come with the kit do the big lower spotlamps only. You make the rest yourself.

Mach 1 fuel filler & accesories $400ish add about 4 hours to fit the recess in the qtr panel & modify the inner bracing to make it work. add for custom filler neck (the ebay ones are rubbish)

Fit E fibreglass kit 60-80 hours

fix any other issues in the body - could be anything

Paint 20k for anything decent

dissassemble & reassemble the car, time will vary depending on a number of factors but allow 80-100 hours & up

New rubbers, weatherstripping & miscelanious crap 10k (you would be surprised how quick this stuff adds up)

Engine & Transmission - depends on how nuts you want to go

Suspension/Brakes - see engine/trans

Diff - again depends what you start with & what you want

New tailshaft & universals $800.00

Wheels/Tyres- whatever floats your boat

Wiring 3k

Exhaust 2k & up

Steering 1k & up

Seats & retrim 10k for anything decent (we are talking an E car not a standard trim job)

Deluxe alloy dash facias & bezels, Trick guages etc 2k & up

That is just a basic rundown & it really depends what you want out of it. If you start with a car that is already mechanicaly sound & fits what you want then you can save a packet. also the better the body is the cheaper it will be. It will need a repaint regardless by the time you do the E kit but if its already straight & rust free it is much more straight forward.

There will be other expenses as well, new glass & things like that as well. They are pretty much a very hungry money eating monster.

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 07:54:43 pm »
I second that.!! Mine 's nearly double what my other cars cost and it's not 100% finished yet.
Stormin

Offline VEMALOO

• L Plates
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »
cheers for all the response lads, love the help.....

To clear up... I will not be touching anything mechanical this isnt neccesary I have no desire to actaully amke it a Classic Recreations standard Eleanor... I'm buying a good mechanically running mustang with a good straight rust free body... basically if I didnt want it to look like Eleanor she would be a great car to pick up as a daily and just leave it alone.

But I do want the Eleanor look so thats what I'm doing just the cosmetics... the deluxe interior is already in and ready to go... and the leather is already a good quality and black so I'm happy with that. Any changes inside will be a sound system maybe... and a woodgrain steering wheel....

I'll do an exhaust but that will be the only performance upgrade to begin with.... brakes and coilovers a few years down the track..... as for 20 k for my paint.... no chance I'm paying that 10 k will be my max I'm not looking for a show car just a good looking daily

Cheers again lads

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 05:05:21 pm »
we had a guy rock up at a club meeting in January with a LHD Eleanor tribute which I think he bought as his dream car from someone interstate. He went home pretty dissapointed finding out he would never ever get it registered in SA like that....poor bugger
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:16 pm »
VEMALOO,           yep, they'll cost you your left testie.  Give Rick in Tassie a yell and quiz him on his not so costly Eleanor build.  There should be the left overs on a thread in here somewhere.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »
Quote from: VEMALOO link=topic=14495.msg147815#msg147815
as for 20 k for my paint.... no chance I'm paying that 10 k will be my max I'm not looking for a show car just a good looking daily

Best of luck with that, dont expect much for 10k. 3.5k for materials & consumables of decent quality. leaves 6.5k for labour at even $60.00 per hour, well you can work it out. The difference between a good quality paintjob & a "show job" is a cut & a buff.

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 07:28:18 pm »
:violin::violin::violin:.........does anyone remember my build?:banghead:

all I can say is "thank GOD my car landed at Steve's shop......." and the rest is history.:thumb:

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 07:44:22 pm »
Quote from: soc123_au link=topic=14495.msg147838#msg147838
Quote from: VEMALOO link=topic=14495.msg147815#msg147815
as for 20 k for my paint.... no chance I'm paying that 10 k will be my max I'm not looking for a show car just a good looking daily

Best of luck with that, dont expect much for 10k. 3.5k for materials & consumables of decent quality. leaves 6.5k for labour at even $60.00 per hour, well you can work it out. The difference between a good quality paintjob & a "show job" is a cut & a buff.

+1 the only way you'll get it for 10k is to do the body work, prime it and block it back yourself then drop it at the shop and have the guy just give it a quick once over, mask and paint.

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline Eleanor67

• Pony
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 05:58:01 pm »
Hi there VE, I am also building a Eleanor in SA and I had my kit put on by Eric of Right Conversions, he is not far from Parafeild airport. He is a top bloke and very fussy. I will be back to get more work done by him as he is well priced and does a great job. his phone no is 8281 0333. Good luck with the biuld and look forward to seeing some pics....

Offline TheDarkStang

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 06:15:50 pm »
Stevo , your cost breakdown analysis , :agree::agree::agree::thumb::thumb::thumb:

It's about time everyone enters the 21st century. Costs just blow out , no matter what you do. Plus , an Eleanor......well your just playing with the big boys now , get the wallet out. I've spent well over 300 hours on my stang doing just about everything but the paint & panel. I'm not far off $100/HOUR auto-electrical workshop rate - even at $80/hour , that's around $24k. Then add the $15k odd worth of parts. Still got a bit of interior & paint/panel to go. I've got a sweet deal going with the local panel shop , built up over years & it will still set me back over $10k to get something nice that will last well into the future.
Cheers ,
Mark

Offline VEMALOO

• L Plates
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 10:39:19 am »
Quote from: Eleanor67 link=topic=14495.msg148262#msg148262
Hi there VE, I am also building a Eleanor in SA and I had my kit put on by Eric of Right Conversions, he is not far from Parafeild airport. He is a top bloke and very fussy. I will be back to get more work done by him as he is well priced and does a great job. his phone no is 8281 0333. Good luck with the biuld and look forward to seeing some pics....

Cheers mate I'll give him a buzz.... my bank account looks like it might be taking a bigger beating then expected, I'm thinking I'll buy the stang it'll cost around 38 k with the rhd conversion and then I'll consider the Eleanor rebuild maybe over the next year or two before I pull the trigger... at 21 I like having alot of coin lol and this could just depress me haha

Offline Cage

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 11:11:18 am »
Nice call, take your time Vemaloo, at 21 you have plenty of it.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 11:38:07 am »
Quote from: VEMALOO link=topic=14495.msg148323#msg148323
Quote from: Eleanor67 link=topic=14495.msg148262#msg148262

Cheers mate I'll give him a buzz.... my bank account looks like it might be taking a bigger beating then expected, I'm thinking I'll buy the stang it'll cost around 38 k with the rhd conversion and then I'll consider the Eleanor rebuild maybe over the next year or two before I pull the trigger... at 21 I like having alot of coin lol and this could just depress me haha

We all like to have a lot of coin mate, problem is we all like stuff that requires a heap of it to be spent.

Good call on taking your time, by the sounds of the car you are getting you will get some joy out of it before you rebuild it anyway. Before you part with your 38k make sure you get it checked right over & make sure the body is in good nick. Will save you heaps of heartache & cash when you start the rebuild. Hope it all pans out for you & I can speak for everyone here when I say, we want pics when you get it:burnout:

Offline Eleanor67

• Pony
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 08:27:27 pm »
21 man you have heaps of time. Im 35 and i have been at it for 8 years but it will be worth the wait.