Yes, you do get what you pay for !

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Yes, you do get what you pay for !  (Read 3264 times)

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
« on: May 06, 2007, 12:59:02 pm »
Howdy - i just had an alarm and immobolizer installed in my 65 fastback - its an old battery obviously in the car since import 2 years back - anyone recommend a good battery?

ppmurf

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 01:46:25 pm »
Why replace it if it's working?

Not sure if the technology has improved over the years, but I used to find that it was "luck of the draw" with car batteries. You'd buy the highly respected big brand batteries, they'd work great for a while & then suddenly just die. Personally, I'd just buy on price as long as it has the capacity you need. Might pay to chat with an Auto electrician before you buy. They might tell you to steer away from certain brands.

Evan.

Offline ron

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 02:02:14 pm »
Same old saying ,you pay for what you get:w. It all depends how often you drive the car and if the charging system is up to scratch. In daily drivers the battery should stay fully charged, but if the car gets taken out occasionally then put it on a trickle charger once a month. Sealed lo maintainance is what I use, but the only problem is you can't put battery conditioner in.
Money is made to be spent.

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 12:28:48 am »
ev - its to flat to start the car but strong enough for the alarm to still work - the car hasnt been started in weeks to busy to drive - fingers crossed its only the battery - ppmurf

Offline peterp

• Administrator
  • Worked
    • http://www.yourithelp.com.au
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 07:23:55 am »
Not knowing much about batteries, I simply ring the NRMA and they come out, supply the battery and install it, they also check the charging circuits, alternator etc.

When you ring them, specify the car and request the best battery that they have, it will cost between $140 and $180, you won't be sorry. :(

Biggest killer for batteries is dirty terminals, oxidised, make sure that they are clean even to the point of replacing the battery terminals, they cost about $5 to $10 each for the good ones.

Peterp
You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 07:46:54 am »
An alarm uses very little current so a "stronger" battery shouldn't be required. If your car sits for weeks, the battery will slowly drain. Before replacing it, try giving it a top up (if necessary) and full charge overnight. I'd then go with Ron's advice and give it a monthly trickle charge overnight to keep it topped up.
Personally, I start my car regularly just to keep things lubricated etc (& to listen to the V8 music!!). Because of this, my battery becomes weak and needs a good charge occasionally.

Evan.

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 11:18:10 pm »
Thanks guys will be getting a new battery this week - work unfortunately doesnt always allow me to start the car! fingers crossed i'll drive it more often if winter is kind! ppmurf

Offline ron

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 09:48:35 am »
Get a bottle of Inox while you're at it. Should protect the insides over winter. Plus you get an extended warranty. Not bad for $9, and they do actually pay claims quickly:(. If you don't have time to drive the car , give me a call, I'll be more than happy to take it out for a spin;}:a;_

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:17:31 am »
Thanks Ron - appreciated - its a long flight from Brisbane to Melbourne to drive a 65 fastback but if your down and in my neck of the woods hit me up happy to cruise with a fellow mustang enthusiast! that wasnt meant to sound as gay as it does! ppmurf

Offline ppmurf

• Stallion
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 08:29:56 pm »
Ah - it was the battery! the car started first turn upon putting in the new battery! ppmurf

Offline ron

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 08:46:12 pm »
Inox!!!!