Borg Warner T5

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Borg Warner T5  (Read 15377 times)

Offline Ghostrider

• L Plates
Borg Warner T5
« on: September 11, 2005, 03:49:02 pm »
Hi All,

Have just joined to get some information.

I'm led to believe that Fox bodied Mustangs of the early 80's had Borg Warner T5 manual transmissions.

If this is correct I'm trying to source the top plate including shifter, and if possible a short shift kit.

I may also require a bell housing, but the mounts would have to be confirmed for this.

Can anyone help me ..... please?

Cheers,

Dennis

Offline Hotrodder

• L Plates
Borg Warner T5
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:57:56 pm »
Well... it just goes to show that many in MOCA still regard the 3rd Generation Mustangs as "not the real thing" by not answering a simple question.

Newbie: If you haven't found out yet... Fox bodied Mustangs of the early 80's only had T5's from mid-1983. Up until then, they were using the SROD (Single Rail Overdrive - a 3-speed with 4th being the overdrive ratio).

Save yourself time and money and get one from a 6-cyl EA Falcon as this box is almost as strong as the World Class T5.  The American versions were as weak as anything.

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
Borg Warner T5
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 10:43:56 pm »
Originally posted by Hotrodder
Well... it just goes to show that many in MOCA still regard the 3rd Generation Mustangs as "not the real thing" by not answering a simple question
What is this blokes problem????????He seems to have an  undisclosed issue with MOCA.

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
Borg Warner T5
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 10:58:14 pm »
Originally posted by Hotrodder
Well... it just goes to show that many in MOCA still regard the 3rd Generation Mustangs as "not the real thing" by not answering a simple question.

Newbie: If you haven't found out yet... Fox bodied Mustangs of the early 80's only had T5's from mid-1983. Up until then, they were using the SROD (Single Rail Overdrive - a 3-speed with 4th being the overdrive ratio).

Save yourself time and money and get one from a 6-cyl EA Falcon as this box is almost as strong as the World Class T5.  The American versions were as weak as anything.

If we knew the answer then maybe we would have replied regardless of our opinions of 3rd generation mustangs. But you are right about ONE thing, the third generation mustangs "just weren't the real thing" til about 2000.

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
Borg Warner T5
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:25:03 pm »
Who is Hotrodder anyhow, doesn't put in, but takes the pi55 out when he gets a chance
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD