brakes for a 69 Mach 1

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: brakes for a 69 Mach 1  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
brakes for a 69 Mach 1
« on: March 20, 2011, 12:13:28 pm »
Hi the brakes on my 69 Mach 1 are in urgent need of overhauling / replacing.  What local ford parts are inter-changeable.  It is currently running factory front discs and factory rear drums.  Appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Offline Ash

• Supercharged
  • Name: Max Power
brakes for a 69 Mach 1
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 02:13:40 pm »
From what I have found so far, XF discs will convert the rear end. Shouldn't be too hard to find a XF disc rear end.

There are kits available to put larger rotors on the front but if you wish to keep them standard maybe just a new set of quality pads and a fresh flush of fluid.
I think I remember you saying you were going to go 17 inch wheels? You should be able to go larger rotors with them.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Kernel Sanders

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
brakes for a 69 Mach 1
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:01:14 pm »
Quote from: Yellow66 link=topic=13966.msg143420#msg143420
Hi the brakes on my 69 Mach 1 are in urgent need of overhauling / replacing.  What local ford parts are inter-changeable.  It is currently running factory front discs and factory rear drums.  Appreciate your advice.

Cheers

What is wrong with them exactly?  Can get a rebuild kit easily enough; same with rotors/pads.  Has the fluid been replaced since it arrived here in oz??

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
brakes for a 69 Mach 1
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 07:17:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies

The brakes are the only thing not rebuilt,  it looks like they haven't been touched in a long time.... Fluid was replaced last week(by someone else) but then lost brakes two days ago, checked the reservior and it was DRY. Pads all round and probably a rebuild kit for the front and more than likely replace the hubs/drums?? on the rear. I was just not sure of it would be cheaper/easier to replace with off the shelf items??
As for the reservoir being dry, its a curly one as a mate and I couldn't find any visible leaks at all??

Thanks again

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
brakes for a 69 Mach 1
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:38:33 pm »
Should have a chat to Nuts - I'm sure you have his number!

May have had an air pocket in the system?

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
brakes for a 69 Mach 1
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:29:54 am »
Quote from: Yellow66 link=topic=13966.msg143432#msg143432
Thanks for the replies

The brakes are the only thing not rebuilt,  it looks like they haven't been touched in a long time.... Fluid was replaced last week(by someone else) but then lost brakes two days ago, checked the reservior and it was DRY. Pads all round and probably a rebuild kit for the front and more than likely replace the hubs/drums?? on the rear. I was just not sure of it would be cheaper/easier to replace with off the shelf items??
As for the reservoir being dry, its a curly one as a mate and I couldn't find any visible leaks at all??

Thanks again

Yellow I've never had any problems with the 69 disc brakes, I wouldn't go replacing the setup. It's a worry that you lost the fluid though, there has to be a leak somewhere. Maybe get them serviced/overhauled at a brake shop to get to the bottom of it.
Rick

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
brakes for a 69 Mach 1
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:34:28 pm »
You may have an internal leak - the fluid is being lost somewhere.  wheel cylinders etc.

This is a problem common on GM power steering pumps - the fluid ends up accumulating in the power steering boots.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Pinto Pete

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Nigel
brakes for a 69 Mach 1
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:26:27 am »
You can convert to crummydore calipers hoppers do kit or xf stubbs and calipers lotsa options $$$ is all that will stop you..
It is far easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
brakes for a 69 Mach 1
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:38:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys
Looks like a new set of pads on all four corners and a bleed, probably be ok with a machine for the rear drums and will take the calipers off the front early next week and assess them.... thanks again:cool: