My 65 FastBack Project

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: My 65 FastBack Project  (Read 2650 times)

Offline shteve65

• Pony
My 65 FastBack Project
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »
 Hey guys, It has been a while since I was last on forum.

So late January this year, my mustang finally arrived after purchasing it over a year ago with Shermatt.
Just days after I picked her up I had to go away for a month :mad:
But now Im back and project is GO.

Here are some recent photos:

Whats holding me up at the moment is wiring. Iv taken out all the back panels again even though they were repainted the spare parts and boxes that were in the back wasnt really secure during shipping and tore everything up.
Whats the best black paint for this?

So wiring, iv never done it before and its probably an area I wouldnt trust myself in. I have the original loom but its pretty chopped up. Can anyone recommend somewhere  respectable in melbourne or a possible member with the knowledge thats up for the job?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:20:07 pm by peterp »

Offline Trans-Am

• Worked
My 65 FastBack Project
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 04:24:41 pm »
Hi shteve65,

Cool, another Fastback and :welcome:back...

Regarding the rear panel interior colour, I had a can of Holts PS112 Semi Gloss Black colour matched and mixed into a 1LTR can.

Sorry, I can't help you with the wiring loom as I'm North of the border.

Cheers,

Trans-Am:cool:

Offline Chello

• Pony
    • http://austangchronicles.blogspot.com
My 65 FastBack Project
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 06:26:55 pm »
Nice! The fastbacks always look gnarly in black :cool:
Cheers
Chello
Electric cars aren't pollution-free; they have to get their energy from somewhere.

Offline 67fasty.sm

• Worked
  • Name: shane
My 65 FastBack Project
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »
ron francis wiring looms from the US are very good I used one on my streetrod and its something that with a bit of patience you can achieve yourself as they very self explantery.
I wish my fasty looked like yours as a starting project !!!
Cheers
67fasty
Its funny how quick kids learn to drive a car, yet fail to understand a lawnmower.

Offline shteve65

• Pony
My 65 FastBack Project
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:03:05 pm »
Thanks guys,

Ill be repainting the panels this weekend as for wiring, 'Fasty' ill check the ron francis wiring looms thanks for the heads up. I was looking at the American Autowire, which can get the whole kit for about $500. Think Im gonna have to tackle it myself. Ill let you no what  I end up going with.

Offline Yellow66

• Worked
  • Car: 1966 coupe & 1969 Mach 1
My 65 FastBack Project
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 08:44:16 pm »
Good to see it's finally in your garage Shteve.  So what was the holdup getting it in your possession?

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
My 65 FastBack Project
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:05:48 pm »
Quote from: Yellow66 link=topic=13935.msg143218#msg143218
Good to see it's finally in your garage Shteve.  So what was the holdup getting it in your possession?

Getting the painter to do his "God damn job" would be a good start, then finding someone to re-assemble it was another little task

None the less, its in your driveway Steve. Dont forget to call Baz as your back seat arrives in my car today in Melbourne

Matt

Offline shteve65

• Pony
My 65 FastBack Project
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:38:13 pm »
Haha yes 101 things. Had a few issues with the painter and Matt had a falling out with him. After all that i wish it came out a little better although the car is very straight. Then other tedious crap like waiting for parts and had a few things re-assembled which one thing i learnt is if your gonna get some work done on your car over there never ever pay up front or even half maybe 20%  even though  there keen to take on the job as soon as those yanks get some cash they will throw your car on the back burner and have you waiting a while.

I wasnt really in a rush but it did take much longer than i expected, some issues came up with the engine that i wasnt to happy about but i still decided to go through with it. Cheers to Shermatt helping me get my first mustang even though i know how much project cars frustrate him.  But next time i would do things differently.