Car Import & Rego Feedback - 68 Fastback

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Car Import & Rego Feedback - 68 Fastback  (Read 2182 times)

Offline trav68

• Worked
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:20:29 am »
Hi,
I recently imported a 68 fastback from LA. Car was sold by Ken Gardner who I had met back in Perth a couple years back when inspecting a 66 he had imported.

The report provided by Ken on the vehicle was accurate and I am yet to find any nasty surprises. I was keen to find a vehicle with minimal rust and this one seems to be the case. I do anticipate finding a bit under the paint but that is to be expected.

There were some drip marks on the vehicle from transport which was a little disappointing. I had to block these out as they proved to be quite deep and buffing was slow. Still some work required to tidy this up. Probably the only disappointing part of the experience as there is/was a fair amount of time devoted to fixing this. Also got hit with cleaning at this end ( reckon this is a scam) but such is life!

I found Ken easy to deal with and quick to respond to any queries. He helped organize paperwork and freight etc on his end. Magellan Logistics handled everything on this end - they were easy to deal with and communicated well.

I changed front sealed beams to correct Aust spec units and replaced a couple blown globes . Car was taken over pits in the last week and passed ( couple of loose nuts on engine/trans mount were only issues). Original seatbelts were fine as was single drivers exterior mirror (although will attache RHS for ease of reversing).

It was daunting transferring money to the other side of the world and buying a car sight unseen but all went well in this case.

I would be happy to recommed the above parties to anyone considering buying a vehicle from the US.

I look forward to meeting some of the WA members in the coming future although I have a pretty hectic work schedule at present.

Regards,
Trav

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:38:51 am »
Congratulations Trav, glad to hear everything went well for you. Some good info contained in your post regarding importing and licensing. Mustang roundup on 6th March at Joondalup you should come along. Happy motoring.  
 :burnout:
Rick

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:59:12 pm »
Hi Trav. Great news about the rego! I'm excited for ya! Can't wait to meet you and your fastback! If you venture to the show on march 6th, give me a call on my mobile, I'll pm you. Otherwise, happy to meet up any time. Cheers! Tim

Offline 66Scotty

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:55:10 pm »

Hey Trav.

Well done mate. i`m close on my 67 fastback getting to perth aaaaah about 3-4 weeks from now. interesting you said about the right side mirror. Which inspection shop did you go to because i went to warwick the other day just inquiering and he said you have to have it??
Fuel......., On I Burn,
Fuel is pumping engines,
Burning hard, loose & clean

And I burn,
Churning my direction,
Quench my thirst with Gasoline..

(Metallica).....(Fuel).

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:21:23 am »
Congrats Trav

Kens a good fella

Enjoy your ride mate.

Matt

Offline trav68

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:33:29 am »
Osborne Park - guys were very good there and friendly too. I intend to fit one anyway because I use my mirrors a lto for reversing.

Cheers,
Trav