Its out to get clean!!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Its out to get clean!!  (Read 31261 times)

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
Re: Its out to get clean!!
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2013, 06:20:33 pm »
is it metallic?
Normally with COB 2K you have window in which you spray the clear
No, it's not metallic.. I can't remember what type of paint they said it was, all I remember they said was that they were going to spray the colour, leave it to bake and then flow coat it..
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2013, 09:14:51 pm »
No, it's not metallic.. I can't remember what type of paint they said it was, all I remember they said was that they were going to spray the colour, leave it to bake and then flow coat it..

Ok sounds like they have used a solid 2k colour & they will scuff it a little and flow coat it with 2 or 3 coats of clear, that's ok, and that's why the blue looks shiny it's not base, it's 2k solid colour I'd say. If it were base, most brands have a recoat time window, so not too soon, not to long if you know what I mean or it plays up, clear delaminates etc.

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »
Ok sounds like they have used a solid 2k colour & they will scuff it a little and flow coat it with 2 or 3 coats of clear, that's ok, and that's why the blue looks shiny it's not base, it's 2k solid colour I'd say. If it were base, most brands have a recoat time window, so not too soon, not to long if you know what I mean or it plays up, clear delaminates etc.

They had just finished spraying the colour, but I think they mentioned something about scuffing it between colour and clear.
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2013, 01:02:31 am »
After a bit of a delay in getting someone on it, they got all the panels painted and clear coated last week.
Went and had a look today after my classes finished and they were about half way through buffing the body..
They're expecting to get it all finished by late next week.

It's taken a bit longer than I thought, but it looks stunning under the lights of the workshop and is definitely worth the wait!
There's not a spec of dust in the paint, the panels all look dead straight and best of all, there's no more orange peel! :drool:
I will make sure to get plenty of photos of it when I get it back..

Plan is to get it roadworthy and inspected by the CPS officers within a month of getting it back and to have it rego'ed by the end of September, so that it's ready to take to the roundup in October... To which, a queue of volunteers who want to ride shotgun has already started to form! :lol:
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline my 390

• Worked
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2013, 08:00:49 am »
Can't wait to see the photos or better still see your mustang back and ready to go

If you are ready for the roundup maybe we can join the posse and head over there with the Bendigo team as they pass through

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2013, 10:47:54 am »
Can't wait to see the photos or better still see your mustang back and ready to go

If you are ready for the roundup maybe we can join the posse and head over there with the Bendigo team as they pass through.

Yeah, you'll have to come over and have a look once it's back..

There's still a bit to do, but I've got at least 90% of what I'll need ready to go, so I'm aiming to get it all done and roadworthy by the end of september, hopefully within 28 days of picking it up so I don't have to get a second UVP for the club inspection..
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2013, 12:51:32 pm »
I just got back from the paint shop, everything is back on except for the front bumper..
When they went to put it on, they noticed the chrome is starting to flake off, so back in the box it went.. :tissue:
I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to get a replacement but as soon as they get that bar, it is ready to come home!!
:pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

The auto elec. has been re-booked for the 19th of September to get the gauges looked at, all that I really have to do now is get it ready for a roadworthy check, get the RWC and then get the club's sign-off.... Gee, it sounds so easy when I say it like that! :thud:
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2013, 12:43:21 pm »
Got it back today! Really happy with how it came up. Just got to get it roadworthy now..
I'll get it out when the sun is shining for some better pics!

These are my favorites of the few I took today... They show the true richness of the color.

I will have to give the battery a coat of black paint so it doesn't stand out so much behind the grille, but I am very pleased with how the paint came up.. Needless to say, as the painters had been staying back late to get it done the last few weeks, they got a slab of Crownies for their hard work!
But as I was driving home, I noticed something rather unusual...
The cars in front of me seemed to want to get out of the way and the ones behind stayed a lot further back than usual...
I dunno, it MUST be the P plates? :grin:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:09:42 pm by JT_1994 »
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2013, 04:29:23 pm »
Got the windshield washers sorted out today.

Just need to sort out the heater / defroster and I'll be ready to take it for a roadworthy inspection.
Hopefully it doesn't take too long and I might be able to get a roadworthy done sometime next week..
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
It's roadworthy!
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2013, 06:53:07 pm »
Got the roadworthy certificate today.
It failed the first roadworthy inspection on Tuesday because of some movement in one of the lower ball joints..
Wednesday afternoon I got a new lower control arm so I could take the car back for them to fix this morning so they could issue a roadworthy certificate..

Just got back from the club inspection with Joe, all the paperwork is filled in and ready for me to get the plates tomorrow morning.. :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2013, 07:11:51 pm »
Thats great news now time to cruise . :thumb:

Offline boss69hogg

• Blue Printed
  • Name: David
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2013, 07:34:09 pm »
Congrats - now the fun really begins!
IMG

Offline MachAttack

• Worked
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2013, 07:53:59 pm »
Excellent. Not all Vic Roads offices stock the club plates, see their website for a list of those who do. If you want your plates straight away ( and who wouldn't) you may need to travel for them.

Offline MachAttack

• Worked
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2013, 08:08:18 pm »
Found this for you:

A. Vicroads advise the following offices keep plates in stock. Other offices will have to submit applications and have plates posted. Bendigo, Broadmeadows, Bundoora, Burwood, Carlton, Frankston, Geelong, Mildura, Morwell, Sunshine, Warrnambool, Wodonga. (Added 27.1.12)

Offline my 390

• Worked
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2013, 08:58:08 pm »
Well done JT.  If you are around maybe we can jump on the tail of the bendigo crew and cruise to the round up in October

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2013, 10:37:30 pm »
Thanks everyone, it felt like forever while I was still in high school and didn't have the time to get many big jobs out of the way, but it's so close now, I just have to pick up some plates and I can work on getting some other things done in between cruises, like lowering the ride height and getting 3pt. seatbelts put in..

Might get it out over the weekend and get some good pics of it to share. :thumb:

Found this for you:

A. Vicroads advise the following offices keep plates in stock. Other offices will have to submit applications and have plates posted. Bendigo, Broadmeadows, Bundoora, Burwood, Carlton, Frankston, Geelong, Mildura, Morwell, Sunshine, Warrnambool, Wodonga. (Added 27.1.12)
Thanks, I had seen the list before, but I couldn't remember which offices stocked the plates but when I went to look for it the other day I couldn't find it for some reason... Oh well, the hard bit is done now!

Well done JT.  If you are around maybe we can jump on the tail of the bendigo crew and cruise to the round up in October
Yeah, for sure! :thumb:
I'm planning on going and there's already a few people wanting to ride shotgun on the day, but I can only have one peer passenger while I'm on red Ps... Think I'm going to let them sort that one out amongst themselves! :grin:
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2013, 12:16:28 pm »
Went to Sunshine and got my plates yesterday, I put the plates and window sticker on the very second I got home, hoping I might have had a chance to get out but the weather quickly turned nasty... :tissue:

Weather today looks really good so I'm hoping to get it out this afternoon after lunch...
I just gave the battery a coat of satin black so it doesn't stand out so much behind the grille, time for some lunch and as soon as the battery is dry enough I'll put it back in.. The car is already polished and ready go! :smash:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:24:14 pm by JT_1994 »
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline my 390

• Worked
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2013, 03:44:41 pm »
I'll be looking out for you on the road

Offline JT_1994

• Worked
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2013, 04:27:04 pm »
Went out for a cruise up the freeway and then on the way back I got pulled over by the highway patrol who were concerned that I was driving a V8 on red Ps..
Apparently it "sounded exactly like a V8 as you (I) drove past".. :grin:

Also figured out that I get about 12.5l per 100km..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:08:21 pm by JT_1994 »
JT_1994 aka "Nixon"

Offline chopmgw

• Worked
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2013, 07:10:35 pm »
Well done JT.
Congratulations.
Big moment getting them plates. :cheers:
I can smell oranges !
Michael

Offline Ash