Thanks for the info guys

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Thanks for the info guys  (Read 3378 times)

Offline mozzmuzz

• Pony
Thanks for the info guys
« on: April 17, 2007, 06:10:30 pm »
Hello Mustangers, I'm new here and would like to know about converting my drum brake front end to Disc.  I'm running styled steel wheels and wanna keep them so I need some advice.  I've been told that I can use adapter plates from Mustangs of Melbourne, XW-XY discs with Commodore calipers.  Any ideas?.  I will also need to find out about a dual circuit m'cyl and a booster??  The car is LHD.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers.
Mozz

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Thanks for the info guys
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 07:44:38 pm »
Phill,
You import parts for a living so I'm just guessing that you can get the genuine stuff at an affordable price. I fully appreciate & understand why you would use genuine but the rest of us don't all have that luxury. MOM's adapters are tried & tested. I just picked mine up the other day. Now I can simply bolt up my reco Commodore calipers ($50 off ebay) and my brand new XF discs ($40 off ebay) without too much trouble. Brake pads & bearings can be bought from almost any auto parts store any day of the week. Why wouldn't you go this way? Maybe you could post some prices for the same genuine items to help Mozz with his decision?

Just my 2 cents.

Evan

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
Thanks for the info guys
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:16:47 pm »
Hi mozz
Ihave fitted xf discs to a couple of my cars without any drama and they are dirt cheap ,about $40 a pair and the bolt straight'You have to change the rear cylinders to compensate and get the correct balance for your braking. I can't recall the exact size but those who do conversions would..I generally use XB master cylinders and boosters but have used others and they work fine.What Phil says is right but if you keep a record of what you have fitted should not be a problem.Just pass the info on when you sell the car..
Most kelsey Hayes brake setups you see are priced around $1000..That's a fair bit
Withthe style steel wheels you have to machine a small bit off the hubs to make the fit but there's plenty of metal there

Offline mozzmuzz

• Pony
Thanks for the info guys
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 01:56:42 pm »
Yep, I can see both points of view.  I'll have a think about which is the best way to go.  I like the idea of keeping her original, I guess that at the end of the day it's originality (at a cost) versus practicality. I appreciate the info though.

PS.  Next time I'll stick this sort of request in the correct section, i.e. the tech section.
Cheers.

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
Thanks for the info guys
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 02:50:23 pm »
I just recently put XW stub axles and discs onto my 65 , and it was an easy exercise, I thought it would be a major, but it was not , and it was cheap. I managed to find some early XW parts, and they bolted straight on !! I have some PBR calibers on them.. Very happy with the result.:+:(

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
Thanks for the info guys
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 10:23:28 pm »
I half agree with phil on his 'attitude' to modification to non-factory parts.

My personal approach, even going to factory parts, would be to keep the original items, in case of future sale.  That way i can present them to the new owner to use as they wish.

Jas

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
Thanks for the info guys
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 08:55:10 pm »
Something that might interest some.
A recent car through my shop was a 68 Coupe with 4 wheel drums...the BIG ones...  11 inch?

They were also vac BOOSTED.    

I was very surprised at how well it stopped.
It got me thinking, back to my ole EJ holden with unboosted drums on all feet, and considering why i ever went HR front and commodore rear discs all round.
It was brake fade.  

(this post is gunna go back and forth as my mind plods)

I argue the point of upgrading to discs simply because they are safer.   The question on whether you should upgrade discs, can be answered by one fact,  how you drive the car.    If you drive it hard, then discs are an obvious choice, but if you like to cruise about, then the drums will probably suffice.

If you like to tinker with your car(and only cruise about), then drums are a good choice, as my memory of having them was that they did need attention periodically, to keep them adjusted up properly and in good trim.

If i had a muzzy of my own, you'd find me only ever cruising, so drums would do me fine, the only upgrade i would consider is vac-boosting them.

Of note, this 68, i drove it before i knew it was 4 foot drums...i didn't notice any difficulty.

Jas

Offline ron

• Worked
Thanks for the info guys
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 09:17:18 pm »
Originally posted by jas24zzk

If i had a muzzy of my own, you'd find me only ever cruising, so drums would do me fine, the only upgrade i would consider is vac-boosting them.

Definitely!!! First Mustang I ever owned had 4 wheel drums and no assist. Lost count of the number of times I almost pulled the steering wheel off in close call braking. Think about it:+
Money is made to be spent.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Thanks for the info guys
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 10:59:57 pm »
Originally posted by jas24zzk
Something that might interest some.
A recent car through my shop was a 68 Coupe with 4 wheel drums...the BIG ones...  11 inch?

They were also vac BOOSTED.    

I was very surprised at how well it stopped.
It got me thinking, back to my ole EJ holden with unboosted drums on all feet, and considering why i ever went HR front and commodore rear discs all round.
It was brake fade.  

(this post is gunna go back and forth as my mind plods)

I argue the point of upgrading to discs simply because they are safer.   The question on whether you should upgrade discs, can be answered by one fact,  how you drive the car.    If you drive it hard, then discs are an obvious choice, but if you like to cruise about, then the drums will probably suffice.

If you like to tinker with your car(and only cruise about), then drums are a good choice, as my memory of having them was that they did need attention periodically, to keep them adjusted up properly and in good trim.

Of note, this 68, i drove it before i knew it was 4 foot drums...i didn't notice any difficulty.

Jas

Jas, I too was very impressed with my drums even though they were not boosted. I drove my car around for a year & didn't even adjust them. They were (are) perfect for cruising. I never experienced fade or uneven braking. I simply wanted to fit a dual master cylinder for safety. When I asked a question regarding which mc to use on another forum, I was convinced by other members to go power disc.

Evan.