1972 mach 1 fastback info?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1972 mach 1 fastback info?  (Read 6464 times)

Offline 1972mach1fastback

• P Plates
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:24:54 pm »
hey guys, just brought a 1972 Mach 1 fastback, links below if ya want to have a look

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150549860406&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I was just wondering if they're hard to get parts for? It's never been registered in Australia so what is the go with lhd in Victoria and will a 351 cleveland fit in one? Would love to hear from someone with a bit of knowledge :)

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
  • Name: Brett
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:18:57 am »
You'll be able to buy just about any reproduction item you need for a '72 model, ebay is a good place to start.

LHD in Vic has identical registration privileges on the road as as a RHD vehicle these days.

To get your car registered you will need a copy of the Import Certificate from the seller (it doesn't need to be the original document, a copy will do).

For a 1972 model you will also need an engineers "VASS" report as well to show to VicRoads, which is basically a report that says that the vehicle conforms to the Australian Design Rules of that year, and the engineer will also check that the vehicle is structurally sound (no rust!) and roadworthy. The report will cost you about $800, assuming you don't have to see the engineer too many times.

The only items really need changing for the VASS are the headlights (american headlights dip to the wrong side of the road on low beam) and Australian Standards seat belts. The ADR's also state for this model car the rear seatbelts need to be changed from lap belts to lap/sash belts, so in mine I had to drill holes in the parcel shelf to mount the sash parcel shelf retractor mechanism (my seatbelts passed the VASS ok so if you want details on the model of the seatbelts I used plus dimensions of where I drilled the mounting holes then let me know). If you are replacing the front American seat belts with Aussie retractables make sure you buy a set with a 10 degree angle built into the retractor mechanism because the top mounting point is set back further than the bottom mounting point, plus they should have dropper belts to stop the belt cutting across your neck.

One other thing my engineer (Kevin Williams of Plenty) asked me to do was to put heatproof tape over the fuel line where it passes within 150mm of the exhaust pipe - easy done.

You don't need to change the blinkers to amber for a 1972 model to pass the VASS because the ADR's for 1972 blinkers state that red is allowed (after 1973 amber blinkers required by ADR).

Vicroads will also want to see an engine number so make sure its got one. 1972 models came out with engine numbers but if you've got an earlier engine in your car it might not; in which case you'll have to get Vicroads to issue you one and get it stamped on the block. Vicroads will also want to see the receipt from the seller.

You will also need a regular roadworthy certificate issued on the vehicle. Choose a roadworthy guy who is used to unique cars because you might find some that will be adamant that your blinkers are unroadworthy being red. Be sure to coordinate your roadworthy, VASS report and Vicroads appointment reasonably close together, because the VASS report expires in 30 days and will cost a lot to be redone, and the last thing you want is roadworthy issues or Vicroads appointment delays causing your VASS to run out!

This is all just guide though really, as you might find different VASS engineers want more or less than what I have described. If you are in Melbourne or not far away from there I would put in a recommendation for Kevin Williams as he is a good bloke and also very professional and will tell you exactly what's needed without any attitude.

I just went through this process a year ago so feel free to ask any other questions.

Offline 1972mach1fastback

• P Plates
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:42:42 am »
hey mate, thanks for your help, the process doesent seem as bad as i first thought, my girlfriend brought a car that was in an accident and had to sit a viv, this seems pretty similar,
those dimensions for the seatbelts would be real helpful, im in geelong so i will give the engineer you recomended a call, hopefully all goes smoothly and i dont get put into a world of debt.

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:41:10 pm »
Forgot to mention that the VASS engineer will want to see a certificate of a noise test done on the car by an authorised tester, which I think has to be below 96db. Also he will want to know the weight of the car so it's either a trip to the weighbridge or he might be happy enough to see the relevant weight printed off the web if you can find it somewhere.

There is a heap of stuff he needs to check off against the 1972 ADR (his first inspection took two hours), but most of the ADR's of the day were based on the US version so 99% of the things he is checking are already built into the car.

Even though I recommended Kevin Williams to do your VASS, you might find someone just as suitable in Geelong (certainly more convenient) - your local Vicroads branch will have a list of VASS approved engineers in your area.

I'll post some pics and info on the rear seatbelts in a day or two, but if your fastback has fold down seats in the back instead of a solid parcel shelf then the info won't be very helpful to you.

Cheers
Brett

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:27:43 pm »
Ok, here's what I've got on seatbelt positioning:

Top mounting hole is drilled in the centre of the raised section of the parcel shelf as shown in the pictures, and 7.5 inches from the back of the metal seat support. Needs to be pretty central so the mounting point backing plate will sit flat against the parcel shelf sheet metal (very important).

The hole position wasn't worked out by me, it was worked out by the seat belt installer that I bought the rear belts from who did a series of measurements while using me sitting in the back seat as a test subject. I mention this because there are ADR's that govern the parameters of the mounting point positioning, and this guy seemed to know what he was doing. I made a specific point to ask my VASS engineer if the rear belts were ok and he said they were fine. The belts when installed in this position fall perfectly across the shoulder without cutting into the neck or falling off the side of the shoulder. Found I didn't have any info regarding the belt part number, but it is a standard Hemco parcel shelf retractable belt:

Drilled a small pilot hole up from the bottom so I could see where it came out on the top of the parcel shelf, then used a knife to cut a small hole in the shelf carpet for a spacer and spring washer to sit in. Then drilled it the full size to fit the bolt:

Got someone to hold the backing plate in position in the boot (plate bought from the seatbelt seller) while screwing the bolt in from the top. Once secure drill and rivet the plate in place so if you have to take the belts out the plate won't fall into the boot:

For the bottom outer mounting point I cut a bit of 2" x 2" x 4mm thick (cut 2" long) angle iron and drilled two holes in it (one on each face); one to bolt the angle to the factory mounting hole in the floor and the other to bolt the end of the seat belt to. I didn't bolt the belt end directly to the factory mounting point because the shape of the metal buckle on the belt was more suited to being attached to a vertical surface than a horizontal surface - also because the angle bracket helped position the belt better to where it comes out of the plastic arm rest slot. No pictures of this at the moment, but next time I have the armrest panel off I'll take one. For the single inner belt I used the factory mounting point with a spacer between the floor and the metal mounting buckle. Here is the finished result:

Also a bit of info on the front belts; info from the receipt says they are "Item number 1790001SP 99/90° (9 degree) Inertia L/S with 200 Drop Link and 1765333  300mm Stalks" (also from Hemco, bought the front ones directly from their factory in Ballarat):

The actual angle between the top and bottom mounting points is about 15°, and it can be seen in the second from bottom picture that the belt is exiting out of the retractor at a slight angle. The 9° retractor mech is used because when the belt is being extended and in use the belt actually pulls forward by about 5° and it doesn't bind on the sides of the mechanism as it's coming out.

I put a bit more seat belt info in this thread a little while ago:

http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13284

Edit 27/2/11 - Rear seat belt installation pictures showing drilled angle plate. Hemco part number for rear lap/sash retractables is 1790003:

Offline JimNiki

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:41:29 pm »
Brett, why do you block our minimum view out the back with marshall stacks?

hehe...
very neat...

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 10:01:04 pm »
Quote from: JimNiki link=topic=13485.msg139304#msg139304
Brett, why do you block our minimum view out the back with marshall stacks?

hehe...
very neat...

I put the speakers in so the music will block out the screams of any poor unfortunate soul that I might hit when I'm backing out of my driveway because I couldn't see them because of the speakers being in the way :wacko:

Actually, they were in the car when I bought it, I just hope they don't come loose and bean me if I ever have a stack!

Offline Lewy47

• Stallion
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:41:44 pm »
Jim. Rear windows are for Woolies carparks! Anyone looking out the rear window is going too slow or is involved in some Jackie Chan stunt where he hurdles the rear wing and dives headfirst through a dodgey aftermarket sun roof only to slap you upside the head for your choice of gumnut flavoured tissues sitting on the parcel shelf!

Offline flashy1965

• Pony
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:54:27 pm »
Quote from: 1972mach1fastback link=topic=13485.msg139115#msg139115
hey guys, just brought a 1972 Mach 1 fastback, links below if ya want to have a look

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150549860406&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I was just wondering if they're hard to get parts for? It's never been registered in Australia so what is the go with lhd in Victoria and will a 351 cleveland fit in one? Would love to hear from someone with a bit of knowledge :)

ebay says 351 windsor?  :huh: think you will find its a cleveland

Offline JimNiki

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 07:04:07 pm »
the motor in the pic looks like a clevo...
Flashy1965, what is on the VIN?  2F02H?  2F05H

The H means it's a 2V clevo...

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 08:41:45 pm »
Yup, has a Cleveland in it looking at the pics.

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 12:40:37 am »
Another thing I forgot to add as a VASS requirement is that the VIN is supposed to be stamped on a solid part of the car frame. These cars have a VIN in the engine bay that is located under the lip of one of the mudguards, so unless you want to pull the guard off for the Vicroads inspection then I suggest you get a set of number/letter stamps and transfer the VIN to the top of one of your shock towers.

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 10:58:21 pm »
Mmmmmm, selling it already 1972mach1fastback? I'm taking a guess it was rustier than the original ebay seller described??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-MUSTANG-1972-MACH-1-FASTBACK-MUSTANG-GENUINE-/170600749872?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item27b898db30