update

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: update  (Read 2779 times)

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
update
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:22:11 pm »
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out here. My rear left indicator and brake light work ok, however on the rear right, no indicator or brake light work.
I have troubleshooted and here is what I have come up with so far.

When headlight are on, rear tail lights are fine.
Front indicators work - no problem
Dash indicators work - no problem
When hazards are on, only left side flashes.
There is no voltage to the rear right lens through the orange blue wire.
From the steering column, the two wires leading from the indicator switch, ie one orange and one green - only the green one (ie. left hand side) one is live and flashes with a 12V testing light, the other that goes to the right has no voltage again.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it likely to be the indicator switch in the steering column? This is only 1 year old and have had no problems until a few weeks ago.

If it is the indicator switch, how is it that the hazard lights are also affected?
Also if it is the indicator switch, how is it that the brake light won't work?

Sorry about the long post, but I want to give as much details as possible.

Regards
pbapam

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
update
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 04:43:52 pm »
only detail you didn't give is what car are you talking about...........?
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
update
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 05:06:05 pm »
Sorry,  66 Mustang Convertible

Offline 66 Hertz

• Web Editor
  • Top Streeter
  • SA member #787 MOCSA
    • http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/ozzyone_photos/66%20GT350H/?albumv
  • Name: Dale
update
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 05:40:16 pm »
 I had a similar problem, thanks to others here who helped it turned to be a crook connection at the wiring plug under the dash where the loom from the indicator stalk comes out of the bottom of the steering column...........There are two plugs about 6 inches apart I just unplugged & plugged them both back together 1/2 a dozen times & bingo been working ever since...........hope this helps buddy.:thumb:
Paint by IMAGE CLASSIC CARS
build thread...http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14043.0.html

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
update
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:43:09 am »
Thanks, I did this several times and no improvement. The smaller of the two plugs you talk about is the indicator plug. It has two wires, green and orange going into it. The green one which controls the left indicator is live when the indicator is on, the orange one which is for the right side remains at 0V when the right indicator is on.
I am leaning toward the indicator switch needing replacement.
Anyone else offer any suggestions? Any auto electricians out there?

Offline donoauto

• Worked
update
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:03:11 am »
Sounds like it's dropped the right rear contact inside the indicator switch. If the front right works (white wire with a blue trace from memory) , more than likely a switch. Just inspect for any broken wires up at back of switch & also (with a test light or voltmeter) check for power on the right rear indicator wire on the switch side of the steering column plug (to eliminate any poor plug connections).
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
update
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 10:04:42 am »
Thanks Donauto,

Can you explain a little more about 'the power on the right rear indicator wire on the switch side of the steering column plug?'

Do you mean the two pin connector that goes to the rear lights from the indicator switch. I did check that one.

thanks
Pete

Offline donoauto

• Worked
update
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 10:44:35 am »
Yes , I'd like you to check for power on the switch side of that connector. Or , cut to the chase & pull your steering wheel off & get the switch out & test for power there. Sometimes , after disturbing the switch , you may find it works - bin it anyway & replace. If you see an obvious broken wire , it's fine to repair , BUT , any soldered joints that get movement ( i.e. when the switch is operated ) are prone to break again. Keep any soldered connections strapped solid so they can't move.
Regards ,

Mark.

Auto-electrician & car A/C guy.

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
update
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 11:51:00 am »
On the switch side of that connector there is 12V on the green wire (going to the left side that works fine), but 0V going to the orange wire when the right indicator is turned on (going to the right side which is the problem).
I tried jumping the green side of that connector (pin) to the orange side of the other end of the plug but the indicator still did not work.

Offline pbapam

• Thoroughbred
update
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 07:46:21 am »
Changed the indicator turn signal and all good. Thanks for the feedback.