Getting a Mustang registered in WA

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Getting a Mustang registered in WA  (Read 4062 times)

Offline 66Scotty

• Thoroughbred
« on: December 14, 2010, 10:48:38 pm »
Hi all.

I`m brand new here just registered but I`ve been reading your posts here for ages. Anyway, I`ve finally got my sh#t together and am in the process of importing a 67 Mustang Fastback from the US. It`s still in LA waiting for a ride to Aus so it won`t be here for a month or 2 before she arrives. My question is does anyone know what troubles I can expect from the Perth inspection centres? As in lights,tyres, seatbelts etc.

Any info on customs here also would be great.

All the best

Scotty
Fuel......., On I Burn,
Fuel is pumping engines,
Burning hard, loose & clean

And I burn,
Churning my direction,
Quench my thirst with Gasoline..

(Metallica).....(Fuel).

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:18:32 pm »
Welcome Scotty. You'll be lucky to see your car in a month or two - who are you shipping with? As for Customs, I would use a customs broker. Let me know if you want more info.

With licensing you have to swap the U.S. headlights for Aussie ones, cheap and readily available. The factory seatbelts should be fine, that is pretty much all you'll have to worry about with a 67 as long as it isn't modified, then everything changes. You obviously have to comply with the usual roadworthy requirements.

As always - call the tech secton at licensing to make sure of what they want.

Make sure you have all your paperwork in order for both customs and licensing - title, receipts, previous registration if possible, import approval etc.

And pics and specs for us please!!
Rick

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 12:10:26 am »
As ponyride said, roadworthy and swapping headlights.

on my 66 I had to change front indicators to clear, and change US lap belts to Aussie lapbelts (yank ones are fixed to floor, I was told they have to swivel at mount point) as well.  Both cheap exercises.

I just needed import approval and copy of title and all was sweet.

Oh yes, and pics :hi:

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:54:42 am »
On my'66 fitted H4 halogen headlights with park lights in them,(fitted relays & voila ----daylight!) must dip to the left as USA lights dip to the right rewired front ind / park lights to just work as indicators. Rewired rear indicators into tail lights & used the clear lenses as reverse lights. As Jay said with the seatbelts they must swivel, also fit rear belts & child restraint anchor points (check with local authorities as they seem to change the rules quite often). Brake hoses is another area they may look at, must be ADR approved, date on tyres ?? There is always someone on this forum to help all you need to do is ask! Last but not least  --  WELCOME TO THE HOUSE OF FUN!:smile01:

Offline 66Scotty

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:56:16 am »
Thanks for that.

I`m pretty sure it`s roadworthy, even though I haven`t seen it live, (I know!! I know!!) dangerous.. But when you see the photo`s you`ll understand. BTW. I can`t seem to work out how to upload photo`s. All these forums are different.
Fuel......., On I Burn,
Fuel is pumping engines,

And I burn,
Churning my direction,

(Metallica).....(Fuel).

Offline Stu67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:06:51 am »
Gday 67Scotty, welcome to the boards! looks like your the next suburb up from me, will have to race you to work!
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"
Enzo Ferrari

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 05:27:40 am »
Quote from: 67Scotty link=topic=13112.msg136164#msg136164
Thanks for that.

I`m pretty sure it`s roadworthy, even though I haven`t seen it live, (I know!! I know!!) dangerous.. But when you see the photo`s you`ll understand. BTW. I can`t seem to work out how to upload photo`s. All these forums are different.

here you go scotty

http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8124#pid73818

Offline 66Scotty

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 12:51:02 pm »
Thanks for all your advice everyone.

Looks like this importing and registering process is going to be a bit more involved than I thought. Oh well!! Looks like I`ve got a while to wait until the girl arrives which will give me time to work things out.

Here are the photos I`ve got from the US.

Love at first sight.

Interior needs a good going over, but apart from that she looks great. It`s a 302 4 speed manual, stock motor rebuilt 5,000 mile ago.

Cheers

Scott
Fuel......., On I Burn,
Fuel is pumping engines,

And I burn,
Churning my direction,

(Metallica).....(Fuel).

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 01:03:17 pm »
Awesome pony there Scott. Knockout colour combo with the red interior. I'll check the info that I have at home about the regs for licensing and shoot them over to you, they are different for different years so it can get confusing but take heart - others have done it before you! :thumb:
Rick

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 03:46:46 pm »
sweet 68.  Do Like.

Actually, with 66's you don't even need seatbelts.  I was asked  at the RTA whether I wanted belts as I could actually do without.  Cool.  But I always figured belts were a good idea.

registration is not difficult, just upgrade standard stuff to aussie spec and you are sweet.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 03:58:09 pm »
You'll need to get the horn sorted for starters Scott, it doesn't look like it's hooked up to a button at the steering wheel? If you have a trusted source over there and whilst the car is sitting waiting, I'd recommend finding out what's not working on the car and see if you can get the parts needed sent over with the car. It saves a lot of time and hassle (and probably $$ too) and you'll have correct parts.
Rick

Offline mach70

• Blue Printed
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 08:23:06 pm »
Another trick is to try to get the last appointment on a friday arvo.

I have head that this can work as they are more likely to have a quick look to get home early.

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 08:50:54 pm »
Haha, yes its true mach70.

I went to East perth and had a young bloke look over it, just picked out the obvious stuff and let a lot of little stuff go since he knew i was pulling the whole suspension out.  Just some leaks, rear spring bushes,  and my US belts that needed changing.  all sweet

Oh, and avoid the indian guy at E.Perth, he is a tad OCD according to a regular.  Also, apparently he had an argument with a guy who was trying to register a rally car, saying that he couldn't have a roll cage....

Offline ChilliChadd

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 10:20:27 pm »
Welcome, and nice ride there Scott

6R07C*** Body-65A, Hardtop, standard interior, Colour-4, Silver Frost metallic, Trim-26, Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl.
Date-03B, February 3rd ( same as the misus) D.S.O-72, San Jose Axle-F 2.80:1, Limited Slip

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 10:26:46 pm »
Is Ep open again????

its been closed nearly a year I thought?

Rock on!

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 11:41:49 pm »
Quote from: JC074 link=topic=13112.msg136248#msg136248
Is Ep open again????

its been closed nearly a year I thought?

No idea,   I took my car over 18 months ago, so who knows.

Offline blocko

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 04:48:45 pm »
Nice ride. The blokes at Welshpool are easy to get along with. I just had a 1970 import inspected. Mine required an engineers report due to the year but all other advise here is spot on.
Make sure there are no fluid leaks or evidence of same on the underbody.
Hope you can get to a club meeting. Information is free and we would like to see the car in the flesh when she get here.
Rob