Will Drilled Disc Rotors CRACK ? ?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Will Drilled Disc Rotors CRACK ? ?  (Read 2355 times)

Offline nifty-b

• Thoroughbred
« on: December 14, 2010, 10:35:18 pm »
Hey guys, I was thinking of fitting Drilled & Slotted disc rotors , & a brake guy told me to just go for Slotted , as Drilled & Slotted Rotors CRACK where the drill holes are !!

I haven't heard that before ,  Anyone know if this is right ?

cheers

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:55:08 pm »
My F6 had drilled and slotted Brembos Nev and after countless laps of QR and Lakeside doing sprints there was never a sign of cracks. The pads and rotors were stuffed at 24,000kms so these were not nannie laps as I was always in the top times bracket and at times have come back to the pits with the pads smouldering.

I've seen posts on Ford Forums with people complaining about drilled rotors cracking around the holes but I don't know how they manage to do it, unless they're using some cheap rotors.

Anyway, I'm sure you won't encounter any problems with your stang.

Offline mach70

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 12:21:28 am »
I have heard of this as well.

From my understanding they crack around the holes which can eventually "join the dots" and break.

As Pedro says they could be cheap rotors that have this issue.

Is it worth the extra cost?

Offline 66ROX

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:08:07 am »
When DBA first came out with them there were cases of cracks from the holes and noise from the slot angle which could also be felt through the pedal as the pad passed over the slot. I don't know about the current ones. I know they changed a few things to try alleviate the problems such as changing the angle of the slots and hole positions.
If you are worried about it the holes are a more cosmetic effect, so if you can't see the discs through your mags, just go for slotted. The slots have a  bigger degasing effect on the pads.

Offline LEE H 69

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 08:45:36 am »
Yep Nev
I have heard that, also that the drilled and /or slotted rotor really make no effect on breaking for street use,
the slots as well as venting the gases they also shave a tiny amount off the pads to keep them clean, also creates more dust on your wheels,
So apparently for street use both are bling factors,
in saying that mine are drilled, but not all the way through ( so thet look drilled but aren't ) like I say Bling,
If I get chance when I get home I post a photo,

So to answer your question I don't think there will be any problems for street use,  

Offline boofhead

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:41:07 am »
If the disk is quality materials there will be not issues. The risk is reduced further if it is for street use. Having said all of this - I have seen cracks in factory standard disks. So this really is more FUD than an issue you will see.  

FYI - I have cross drilled standard disks myself with my own patterns and raced them - no issues.  As far as I am concerned - it does make a huge difference when the disk is getting very hot. Again a situation or difference your not likely to feel in a street situation. Though it does look great - love that bling.

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:58:44 am »
Lots of performance cars have drilled rotors and they don't crack.

Stick with a quality brand and you will be OK.

cheers,
Frank.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 03:58:18 pm »
Normally any cracking that will appear will be radial cracking.  This won't happen in crossed drilled discs if the material is good quality.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 04:17:09 pm »
I recken if ya beleive that drilling and slotting the disc rotors on your old mustang (which lets face it you only use to go crusing), is gunna make it stop any more than 1/16th of an inch better from a hundred and fifty miles an hour, your gunna go blind and get buck teeth.
Yes they can crack and they make bugger all difference.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline nifty-b

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 07:16:17 pm »
Thank's for all your input &  info guys, very interesting . cheers

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 11:06:39 pm »
Quote from: nifty-b link=topic=13111.msg136221#msg136221
Thank's for all your input &  info guys, very interesting . cheers

You know...at control, "we know everything"

Would you beleive.....
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres