Importing & registering a 66 convertible in Victoria

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing & registering a 66 convertible in Victoria  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Ossie

• Stallion
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:52:07 pm »
Hi, newbie to this forum.  Just purchased a 66 convertible out of CA which Im shipping back to Melbourne.  Have inspected the car in the US myself while on business trip and have imported other brands of cars (70s vintage) previously so know the drill, but not sure of the best approach for getting an older LHD car registered on the road in Victoria.

I read somewhere that simplest approach is to put it on club plates as it basicially just needs a roadworthy certificate, but is this correct?  I only plan to drive the car for rallies etc. but is it simple enough to just get it fully complianced (in LHD form) and register fully anyway?  May well convert to RHD one day but would prefer to leave it as is if possible.

Thanks

Offline Ossie

• Stallion
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 06:00:28 pm »
Also meant  to add that the owner has offered me an original 66 AC unit with compressor for US$700.  It's missing the dryer unit and the chrome on the plastic(?) blower outlets is poor condition but is it worth buying?

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:13:18 pm »
It's easier to get LHD registered than RHD, as you don't need an engineer's report. (Providing the engine is no larger than 10% above original - 302 for 289 is OK).

If it's a 289 you will need to stamp an engine number on the block, typically the last 6 numbers of the VIN. Check that with VicRoads first, as you don't want to use a stolen engine number.

Rock up to VicRoads for inspection with your DOTARS import licence, previous ownership papers, payment receipt and a RWC. Fork out for stamp duty, rego, plates and you're away.

Or hang off until the new limited rego scheme comes in early next year to replace club permits. Big rego saving for restricted use and keeping a log book.

Offline derwin66

• Blue Printed
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:51:20 pm »
Real pricey for the a/c unit as well, I would give it a big swerve
65 T code coupe.
Blown 302. Heidts suspension, tricked C4
Gear vendors overdrive, RRS rack and pinion
Street or track roller perches adjustable struts.
60 F100.
Warm 289, AOD

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:05 pm »
need to get the engine number issued from vic roads, need to change headlights also that's for sure.
once you cruise a few times you will want to use it more lol...the bug gets us all.

the limited rego looks like a great idea, may be worth hanging out for it as it will be almost here by the time car lands

Offline 65muzzy

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 09:41:35 pm »
What's the go with this limited rego?  Is it only for Victorians.

Offline Ossie

• Stallion
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 04:48:29 am »
Thanks guys, all good advice.  Yes it is a 289 and didn't know about the engine number so will check that out when it arrives.  Probably won't be ready to register until late Jan/early Feb at the earliest so would like to know more about the limited registration scheme in Vic if anyone has any details?  Does it mean you can use normal number plates?

Also this is perhaps a subjective question but I deliberately looked for a non-red convertile as I have too many red cars already!  It's a light blue with white and blue leather interior and white roof (been repainted in slightly darker shade of blue).  Is this a good/bad/desirable colour combo when it comes to Mustangs?  I liked it but Im sure its not to everyones taste.

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 04:55:46 am »
Quote from: ossie link=topic=12866.msg134532#msg134532
Also meant  to add that the owner has offered me an original 66 AC unit with compressor for US$700.  It's missing the dryer unit and the chrome on the plastic(?) blower outlets is poor condition but is it worth buying?

A complete new a/c kit is about $900 with Sanden compressor unit:bolt:

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 07:12:52 am »
Quote from: 65muzzy link=topic=12866.msg134553#msg134553
What's the go with this limited rego?  Is it only for Victorians.

ACT Car Council is trying to get something like it in here in the ACT.

Basically in short you pay 3 months rego and you can drive your car 90 days was the proposal here.  
The problem is that they had all this other stuff trying to get desirable cars under it, so you could import a Shelby and not convert it 15 yrs or older and then there were links to rally cars etc etc etc but they were to be reviewed on a one by one basis by a committee leaving it open IMO. The car had to be road worthy and able to be registered.  
I have some more info if you would like a read u2u me your email address