high revs

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: high revs  (Read 8588 times)

Offline xine

• L Plates
high revs
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:53:27 am »
hi all..wondering if any of you guys/girls are able to figure out what my problem may be...

i have a '95 V6 Mustang, when i start it up from cold and put it in reverse the revs sky rocket from 500 to 1.5 - 2 for a short time then drops down to the normal range, also while driving along i can sometimes feel the car "surge"..

i have posted this question in a few forums and it seems that noone knows what the problem may be.....???? :_

thanks

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
high revs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 03:45:54 pm »
Are all of your vacume tubes connected correctly?   Sounds like somethings either not connected or on the wrong inlet.

Offline FST68

• Worked
high revs
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 04:05:31 pm »
It could be the setup from your ECU. when it first start it will fire up on a cold start setup then change over to its warm cycle, would pay to get it checked.

Also it could be one of your knock sensors not working properly and your computer going in and out of limp mode.

A good ford mechanic should have the right tools to diagnose this.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
high revs
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:31:23 pm »
Sounds like your revs drop dangerously low when the torque converter takes up the slack when going into reverse for the first time of the day - the ECU sees the revs drop significantly and 'panics' by opening the throttle in order to restore the motor's stability, then it cycles down to a normal idle speed. Sounds like it needs a tune up or the auto needs servicing
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
high revs
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 04:29:17 pm »
I thought the vacume tube fixed the problem as we never heard anything after that.  :o