Laws changed in Oct.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Laws changed in Oct.  (Read 3282 times)

Offline 1965 R

• Stallion
Laws changed in Oct.
« on: November 12, 2010, 03:35:23 pm »
First up I am in WA
I was talking to some the other day.
They tell me the rules are changing and cars going through the pits will need lap and sash belts up front to pass.
Has any one else got info on this??

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
Laws changed in Oct.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:35:25 pm »
I heard yesterday that the rule will apply from Jan 2011  ?? Ring a licensing centre to make sure. Best to do it anyway  ----  safer

Offline 1965 R

• Stallion
Laws changed in Oct.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:02:49 am »
Oh I was hoping you might of said a bit later in the year than that.
They might be safer (a little) but 65's had the front belts as optional and a lap and sash will look wrong unlike a lap only belt.
It actually has a 4 point harness now which suits with a race look but is a bit of a pain esp for the passenger.
I will have to ring and find out all the details.
Cheers Exhausted

Offline Cully

• Stallion
Laws changed in Oct.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:23:12 am »
Not sure about the new laws, but I know they only just changed. From the Office of Road Safety in WA. Would seem strange to change again so quickly although not out of the ordinary for WA.

http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/_layouts/getAsset.aspx?URI=2916932&REV=1&RCN=D10#224179

Carriage of additional passengers, where
there are no seat belts or child restraints
New laws came into effect on 1 October 2010 that introduced new rules for the restraint of
children and adults. These amendments follow those made at the national level under the
Australian Road Rules.
While there were rules prohibiting the carriage of unrestrained passengers in the backs of utes,
trucks and panel vans in WA since 2006, there were no restrictions in the case of more passengers
in the main body of the vehicle than available seat belted positions.
This situation was of grave concern given the importance of restraints in protecting occupants from
injury in the event of a collision.
To address this concern a key new rule for drivers and passengers of motor vehicles has therefore
been introduced.
Only passengers that are sitting in a seat fitted with a seat belt (or child restraint) with the seat belt
(or restraint) fastened and worn correctly can be carried in the vehicle.
No additional unrestrained passengers, including in the rear of station wagons, is permitted.
Passengers must not occupy the same seating position as another passenger.

The rule does not apply to motorcycles or other vehicles without seat belts fitted.
There is no requirement for older vehicles that are not fitted with seat belts to have them fitted.

If a vehicle does not have a seat belt or approved child restraint fitted to all its passenger seats, and
a passenger has a legal exemption from wearing a seat belt under the code (i.e. medical certificate),
then in this case those seats fitted with a restraint should be used first by those legally required to
wear a restraint

Offline 1965 R

• Stallion
Laws changed in Oct.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 01:57:25 am »
Thanks Cully

Ok so there might be no problem at all with lap belts but I should fit them to the rear seat which never had them or my 2+2 is going to be licenced as a 2 seater only. I am going to have to call some one and see if its just some confusion with the type of belts fitted.

If I was to fit lap and sash belts then I guess I would need to get an engineers report to prove they were added safely which is going to be a lot of trouble for some thing I don't even want in the car.
At the end of the day the 65's weren't built to be safe in today's standards other wise they would of had disc brakes all round, abs, crumple zones and seat belts std ect ect.

Offline Cully

• Stallion
Laws changed in Oct.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 03:38:42 pm »
I'm not qualified, but give them a call Monday. What I read is
There is no requirement for older vehicles that are not fitted with seat belts to have them fitted.

That means your car should be fine, but I would definately check, and to be honest, If in any doubt, do what ever you can get get it rego'd first if at all possible before the rules change again.

Offline jaythefordman

• Worked
Laws changed in Oct.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 09:15:17 pm »
I find it unlikelt that pre 67's will be forced to have lap sash belts, particularly as they are not even required in the first place.  If they do change, then I am glad my 66 is all sorted as I don't necessarily agree on the engineering involved in retrofitting lap sash belts to such vintage vehicle that are not built for them in the first place.