cable wear

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: cable wear  (Read 4752 times)

Offline ray_aus

• Pony
cable wear
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:41:51 pm »
Just purchased the Mustang last week during the test drive I noticed the pedel was hard to depress.
After looking into it I noticed it had no quadrant the clutch cable is attached directly to the clutch pedel.
There is a fire wall adjustment but can’t see how this will affect the feel of the clutch.
I was going to purchase a new clutch cable as I am in the US or the next 5 weeks but looking at it, it is not stranded due to the conversion.
I have 3, has any one replaced a cable on a 2001 mustang 4.6 L and where did they get the part from?
Is the clutch pedel normall hard and you need to push doen to the floor?

Offline bob2s

• P Plates
cable wear
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 05:16:51 pm »
Also have a 2001 and it also had a hard to depress clutch,purchased new cable from Ford and was a simple task to put it in and adjust .The reason for the hard feel is all in the cable inner wearing into the outer and binding

Offline bob2s

• P Plates
cable wear
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 05:19:29 pm »
also meant to say if the car was purchased from a dealer then it should be covered by the warranty ,which they have to honour

Offline ray_aus

• Pony
cable wear
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 02:17:31 am »
Thanks that’s what I thought. The dealer adjusted it and it is considered wear and tear which may not be covered I will try when I get back.
You mentioned you purchased the cable from a local ford dealer when I phoned my local ford dealer he said this was an import and they had no parts which contradicts everything that I read about the car. Any way which dealer did you use would you still happen to have the Ford part number.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
cable wear
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 01:28:48 pm »
I've had my car from new - they've ALWAYS been very heavy, it's no different now to how it was when I bought it, The cable's are available here, I spoke to Doug in parts at Mustang Motorsport - he's a top bloke.
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline Paul Clark

• Thoroughbred
cable wear
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:28:55 am »
I had a 1996 Mustang Cobra with the same problem, you'll find where the cable goes around the front of the motor, the inner cable wears away the outer casing (not visible) this binds when the clutch is depressed, mine got to the stage where I had to almost stand to operate it. After a new clutch, several mechanics telling me the cable was fine, I had a guy pull the cable out and show me the problem. Had a new cable made in Liverpool NSW and it was great from there on.